ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Installing ICE into MY94, 5 door

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2001, 03:59 PM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody got any tips for installing ICE, specifically, front speakers and amps, into a 5 door MY94 ? Many of the ICE FAQs sites deal with the later model years (sorry Chiark! ).
Old 01 August 2001, 04:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you find out, let me know!
Old 01 August 2001, 06:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Up until last Friday, I had an MY95 5dr with a relatively decent ICE setup.... (some nice person smashed into it!! )

Waddya need to know?

Dan
Old 01 August 2001, 09:43 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Dan

Sorry to hear about the car

Did you finish your woofer install in the spare wheel well?

Martin
Old 01 August 2001, 11:49 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thankfully, no!!! Started to build the enclosure, but left it until the Summer....

As a temporary measure, put it in a removable ported MDF box - worked really well too. Just couldn't see out of the rear view mirror when the bass came in!! (or my retinas were detatching )

Will wait now until the car's fixed or a new one

Dan
Old 02 August 2001, 09:26 AM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Talking

ScoobyDoo555

Hi, What I'm really after is any advice you can give on :-

A) Removing the front speakers. On my MY94, the speakers appear to a novice like me to be intergral with the door card, so I'm assuming I need to remove it to gain access. Anything I should be aware of ?

B) And leading on from A, what size speaker can I get in their, including mounting depth. Some of the speaker I'm considering are pretty deep, around 70mm, but I don't really want to buy them unless I'm confident I can get them to fit !

As a final query, if I've got a speaker rated at say 60 watts RMS, will I be underpowering it by running direct from a headunit putting out 30 watts ? Maybe I should invest in a new headunit/amp, but anybodies comments on this would be appreciated !
Old 02 August 2001, 02:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested what you find out as I'm going to be doing a MY95 LX (manual windows - I think the clip will just flick out from memory with an old fiesta). Certainly looking at this door, the speaker was in the same position as the later models, and door disassembly looked similar, but I didn't take off the window winder as they can be a nightmare to refit.

Now, I warn you the next bit is long-winded.
Re your other point, your 30W headunit is probably capable of 10WRMS per channel. 60WRMS power handling speakers could be quite meaty for future upgrades Your danger with a relatively underpowered source is that the amp can easily clip and fry the speakers with DC, so watch the volume and don't tolerate any distortion and you'll be OK. For good sound off a headunit, consider the sensitivity of the speakers which (I hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs) is the sound pressure level in dB (logarithmic scale) that will be produced from one watt at one metre listening position. 93 is about the best you will see and will sound OK off your headunit. If you dip below 90 it is the equivalent of halving the power on a 93dB/W/m speaker. However, the best quality and highest power handling speakers tend to have lower sensitivity - eg. 88 or 89dB/W/m. This is partly because they may be more honest with their figures, but also I believe there is a tradeoff between power handling and efficiency (I don't understand anymore than that though). Note also, Infinity in particular cheat with their sensitivity figures - my 605CS quote 92dB at 2.83V. This is actually TWO watts, so you have to knock off 3dB to get 89dB/W/m. When I connected up these speakers at the same power as some 93dB/W/m Kenwoods I could hardly hear them! But they take much more power than the Kenwooods ever did, and when amplified come alive. One component set, which I have not heard in a Scoob is the Kenwood PS70P which should fit straight in and have won awards in InCars. I have heard them in other vehicles (a Passat) and they sounded very nice indeed - almost as good as the Infinity. Thay have a genuine 92dB/W/m, but still take their power. They are about £110-120 discounted, but this may be well under your budget I don't know.

Hope this is helpful and you can answers to A and B.
Old 02 August 2001, 07:26 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Beat me to it John!!!

The doors are a piece of cake.....

From what I remember (been a while), you've several screws to undo on the actual card, armrest, and also you've got to prise out the door release. Then the whole door card will unclip. BTW you'll also need to take off the blanking section behind the door mirror.

Be careful when taking the card out, as it has to lift 'up and out', but remember that the elecy windows will be plugged in (if applicable) and the cable that plugs into the speaker.

Reverse, to fit - being careful to slide the door card back in the right way. This can be a bit of a barsteward!!

Speaker-wise, I've 16cms all round (front & back - 5dr) depth - I'll be honest, I don't know, but most 16cm will fit in fine. 16.5cms go in, but you'll need MDF spacers or they'll rub on the window.

Hope this helps.....

Dan