Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

A good buy?! Plus some advice pls, Lee, Adam!?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2000, 10:22 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hello!

I have just bought some second hand ICE today from a good friend and I wanted to know whether I had got a good deal!

Infinity Kappa 4" components - as new, boxed etc (I know they are a little small!) plus an Infinity 12" sub with very good quality box.

Price - £150. Is this about right!?

Also, Adam. Lee ICE experts etc! What amp do you advise for getting the above speakers to rock, bearing in mind, a) I'm on a budget and b) I have JBL 6x9"s in the back as well and a top of the range Pioneer CD unit.

All comments appreciated,

Jon"not an ICE expert but likes nice sounds" Moss.
Old 25 July 2000, 10:07 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day mate,

First of all, depending on the quality of the box and the nature of the subwoofer, it sounds like it could be a good deal. You have to ask if your friend would try to con you! if he would, is it not worth the loss of a bad deal anyway to find out that your friend wasn't so friendly after all.

This does not reflect on the deal I am just playing at psychology.

To be honest you will have some difficulty getting 4 inch speakers to rock as such. They are well designed and if I remember rightly are quite punchy even for a four inch.

Normally I would say bin the six by nines as I hate them , hopefully lee etc. will agree with me. But with a four inch at the front, you don't get an awful lot of midbass, which adds quite significantly to the rocking effect.

In this situation you really should amp everything and for this there is only one amp I think of over all others. It was the first amp I ever owned and still an excellent piece of kit. Not the last word in quality by any means , but capable of huge versatility due to its features and output.

The amp in question is a denon dca 800 6 channel. Cannot remember if they still make it or not, but if you can find one second hand then go for it. It looks great too.

make sure it is working before you buy.

If not, then any cheap phoenix gold, soundstream, orion etc amp will be great. Ideally you need five or six channels though.

If you can sell the fours and go for some fives or even sixes, then you could ditch the six by nines and buy a four channel amp. this would give you better quality, control and imaging and may even be cheaper after you sell the six by nines. This is what I would do, but the choice is yours.

Good luck