Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Newbie question....don't laugh...

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2007, 04:59 PM
Octokid
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question....don't laugh...

Howdy,

I've recently got myself an 05 WRX wagon and I love it....all except the stereo that is...(I had no idea a stereo could be that bad.)

I've read the FAQ, and though I've never installed/changed a car stereo in my life, it all seems fairly obvious.

However here's the problem. I'm skint.

So here's my thinking. I'd like to add a CD multichanger now (as the single CD thing is going drive me crazy very soon) that will work with the current HU and will work with whatever I upgrade to down the line. So the first question is do CD changers have a standard way of connecting to a HU or are they all different. Secondly where would be the best place to mount this. I know under the passenger seat would seem to be favorite, but I'd like to get it somewhere hidden in the boot if possible (bear in mind I've got the wagon so the boots always on show).
Any recomendations on CD changers, prices and places for it to live would be helpful.

Cheers in advance.
Old 09 May 2007, 05:33 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Having just had my stereo and autochanger pinched despite being "hidden" I would say move on to new technology and use a USB flash drive to hold your songs and plug it into a new headunit that has a USB slot. The drives are £7 for 1GB at the moment and an new, cheap head is as much as an autochanger anyway.

And replacing the headunit is a doddle.
Old 09 May 2007, 06:49 PM
Octokid
Scooby Newbie

The problem there is that I've far too many CDs to wave goodbye to the format just yet.

Though I do take onboard what you are saying, the other thing is if I spend £100 on an autochanger it won't feel like money wasted. Where as if I spend £100 on a new HU it will be a comprimised HU that I'll want to change again as soon as I can afford to.
Old 09 May 2007, 08:07 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Not at all, why go for a CD changer which supports say only 6 CDs, compared to an MP3 headunit, which still plays standard CDs, plus on average you can get 10 FULL MP3 albums onto just 1 CD. Far more capacity that way. All you need to do is convert your current CDs inot MP£ format. This also saves you carrying loads of CDs in the car running the risk of them being stolen / damaged etc. Imagine......50 albums on just 5 CDs.

Furthermore if you get the right headunit in the first place, why will you need to change it again. You can get some good headunits for around the £150 with all sort of extra connectivity options, such as bluetooth for mobile phone integration, SUB out ready for a lim line under seat sub etc. CD changers are now old hat IMO !!

I've gone for the slightly more involved option of course Subaru Impreza CarPC as an illustration !!
Old 11 May 2007, 07:29 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

personally i wouldn't bother with a cd changer either. went for a cheap double din dvd player in mine - would go for something better next time though. i am in the process of ripping all our music onto the computer and putting only the albums i want (ie not mrs g's) onto dvd. no originals in car, plus way more music than i could fit on cd.

given more time and patience though i would certainly consider the pc option!
Old 11 May 2007, 07:30 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

just a thought - temporary fix could be a 1gb mp3 player with fm transmitter
Old 12 May 2007, 10:17 AM
richiewong
Twatful

If you do get a changer, then its a Kenwood unit you're after to match the OEM.
No other makes are compatible AFAIK.

You could always get the Ipod adaptor for Kenwoods and use this through the headunit, assuming you have an Ipod, hey who doesn't these days
Old 16 May 2007, 12:14 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. Changed mine for an Alpine head unit with ipod connection. You can access all your music through the head unit without ever having to touch the ipod.
Much better sound quality, all of your music at the touch of a button and only cost around £150.
ALPINE CDE-9850RI CD/MP3 CAR RADIO review cheap prices CDE-9850RI CD/MP3 CAR RADIO ALPINE best buy discount online uk shop
Old 16 May 2007, 01:57 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Octokid
The problem there is that I've far too many CDs to wave goodbye to the format just yet.
No you don't

Originally Posted by Octokid
I love it....all except the stereo that is...(I had no idea a stereo could be that bad.)
Buying a CD changer now will allow you to choose which of your favourite 6 CDs you'd like to hear ruined by your shoddy stereo. If it's as bad as you say, changing album won't help. And CD changers are dead money. I appreciate you may only have £100 ish spare at the moment, but IMO, buying a CD changer will be a waste of that £100. You would be better finding a HU that you'll be happy with for the foreseeable future (even if it means spending a little more). That could be a unit that takes DVDs (a DVD full of MP3s is a lot of albums), or one that's compatible with an iPod or USB HDD, for future upgrading.
Old 16 May 2007, 02:31 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

pssssssttt - there is a kenwood kdc-c601 (without magazine) under my desk - not sure if that would work with the standard head unit?. came out of a work colleague's chrysler voyager when he sold it for some reason - i have no idea why he took it out btw (car was stolen/recovered and then he sold it on)
Old 30 May 2007, 11:13 AM
shaggy98
Scooby Newbie

I'm in the dark about rims and steering wheels. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.