Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Knockhill... i was there :).... oh yes... and so was the grey beastie ;)

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2001, 07:17 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knockhill today:
what a fine day was had by all. The weather was mental...one second bright bright glorius sunshine the next it was snowing?!?!?!
i remember walking across to get some help fitting my slicks when it started to snow hahaha

There was a great array of machinery there... two nice evos on the track, one std evo 6 and a lightly modded one. Loads of subarus p1's a 22b the lot really. Lotus exige's elises, caterham, westfields the lot.

Good to see a good standard of track etiquette had by most bar a very few but not worth mentiuoing...

no we come to my car the 140,000 mile 11 year old grey shed of a mark 4 turbo. WAS it flying or WHAT!... i was having such a great time, the car performed perfectly. I was driving slicks for the first time ever...

One little incident

It had started to snow and i was still feeling great grip from the slicks... @ whats all this forumla one driver rubbish about hard to drive slicks in the wet.. ( i think ) no problemo to a @driver@ like me.. hahah we i come up the stariught, fine.... i brake,,,fine i turn down the hill fine, then the left fine, then turn into the right... the back end just comes round..simple as that...it just comes round a neat wee piroet (spl) into the dirt.... very amusing... my first ever off track experience... so basically slicks dont like snow, but thats obvious... ive known that forever but still i ballsd it up ;0 hahaha other than that i must have completed 40 laps or something if not alot more... now problems at all...brtakes were great, cornering was amazing.

I think alot of people were very suprised to see such an old cheap car doing so well. Nice to meet john felsted, and john_s good lads... and the chap who owend the 22b and a chap called doug f here.

I passed a subaru with the number plate something "555" i know we had chatted on here...

Very much enjoyed myself and gave loads of passenger laps to people... all in all a wicked day and still the "we grey beasty" fires on sweet as a nut... 140,000 miles into its life....

check this for a laugh... it never ever used 1 drip of oil the entire time... tho i reved it much higher than std rev limit ever gear change... thats what i call quality!

how did everyone else enjoy the day

ps i heard some funny comments about my car

and apon checking my video i noticed i did a 1 minute 3 second .42. But please dont note that as me racing or anything as i adhered to track etiquet as best as poissible even when i was being balantanlty held up...

I want go on anymore ill let other people churp in!

cheers and massive respect to the scooby/evo/lotus/kit car boys

Steven_RW
Wee grey mk4 rst g236 ***

Old 17 March 2001, 07:48 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

TFyus

Were U the guy with the bonnet slightly lifted at the back ?? if so I saw your spin whilst I was standing at the Glenvergill corner.

Was going to come over for a chat later, but had to leave early.

Looks like everyone had a good day.

Stuart
Old 17 March 2001, 08:51 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

yep that was me...

as i explained the snow cooled the slicks down in about 3 corners and then it was like driving on ice!!! whereas three corners ago i felt like i was driving a formula 1 car leve l of grip!

shuld have come across

rw
Old 17 March 2001, 09:27 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

hi tfyus
I was there with my (the shiviring bitch) wife siting in a reddish blue my 98 S***XNE. You were doing well keeping up with the scoobys and the KIT CARS. Did not come over to chat coz their woz you an another RS and did not know who woz who. What was the wheather all about Snow, Rain, Hail, Sunshine?. Anyway who wants to buy an my98 as im going to get an Evo. They were the biz or what, O and the 22B. Sorry im quite pissed as ive just been out for a drink. Anyway good turnout lots of scoobys (but more Elises) hope SIDC does not ban them.

Cheers

Jer
Old 17 March 2001, 09:33 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

cheers jer, i didnt have much problems with the subarus... the evos went well, the one with the big white wheels on it was quick aswell.

Id well like an evo VI they are beauts..

cheers

StevenRW
Old 18 March 2001, 12:17 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

i ran higher pressures than usual and the n/s tyres were in far better condition by the end of the day.last time (top marques day) i ran (when hot)33psi front 31 rear and ripped chunks out the edges.yesterday i ran (hot) 41f/n/s,38r/n/s,36f+r/o/s and felt very little cornering grip loss if any.did not go in any other cars yesterday(time flies...wanted a run in sam and david b's chipped cars) so any of my passengers could comment on how my car cornered compared to the other cars they were in.

john
Old 18 March 2001, 09:19 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

TFyus, was plesantly surprised to see your car do so well, it definately appeared to be as quick as many of the scoobs. I was slightly concerned the first time I saw you along the main straight as it looked as if your bonnet was about to fly off, eventually sussed it was intentionally like that
Did not bother saying hi as you always seemed to have plenty of company, must be the car
There appeared to be a fair turn out, should have rasied a bit of money anyway.
Not sure what the weather is like in Crail for today, but it is white in Glasgow, so John F and co should have fun if it is similar over there

BTW, the heavy snow shower, guess who happened to be walking down at the bottom corner when it started, it was baltic, brrrr.
Old 18 March 2001, 09:45 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

TFYUS
your car was quick on the straight lines, what boost are you running ? i could not overtake you on the staright at all for few laps until you let me through cheers.

very good turn out. an amazing day all round, it took me 2 laps before my slicks got heat it up. the interesting thing though i was still overtaking cars running thier road tyres in the wet !!? it just makes me wonder about the grip road tyres compared to slicks. it must be the rubber compound or something

sam
MY99 sliver, 22b spoiler V959.

Old 18 March 2001, 10:19 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

TFyus,
great wee car you have there,you probably scared quite a few of us.why is the bonnet raised at the back?
great day,one P1 went past my MY00 like it was standing still,it had a big exhuast,may have been the one with the damaged front bumper but seemed faster than the others.
hope passengers enjoyed the run.
roll on the next K/hill day,thinking of going down south for a few
john
Old 18 March 2001, 10:52 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sam, it may have been due to the tyre pressures some of the others were running, I know on the way over (bumpy slippery roads around knockhill) I was wheel spinning through first, second and into 3rd, running 38 front and 36 rear on well worn road tyres, where as those running std pressures had no problems, and my MY00 does not even have std power. I know at least one person was running 40psi when on track.
Old 18 March 2001, 11:53 AM
JohnS

Glad everyone enjoyed it. Sorry about the snow closing the track a couple of times, but no-one can say we don't give you variety! (4 seasons in an afternoon - twice!!).

I'm still doing the final sums on Comic Relief fund (got loads of small cahnge to count, and some stuff still in the car), but it looks like it's going to be comfortably over £400, as we go some more money at the curry house last night My employers are going to macth what we raised as well, doubling it up

On the whole, I think track etiquette was reasonable this time, with most people pulling over for the faster cars. A good mix of cars, all of similar levels of performance in the conditions. Managed to blag a few laps in John's Westie. What a handful on a damp track - wheelspin in 4th at 100mph+ anyone, all the way along the straight ! I think John was fighting to keep the car straight for most of the lap. Can't imagine how fast it would be on a dry track, and running full boost!

Despite the cold and wet conditions, it was interesting to note the couple of cars running slicks were able to get them up to temperature, and they worked very well, and wear on road tyres was remarkably low.

Sorry I never got a chance to speak to everyone - I don't think I was quite expecting so many spectators to turn up on a cold and snowy day, and almost everyone signed up for passenger laps and made a good donation to the charity fund.

Also interesting to note that some of the red noses managed to stay on at speeds in excess of 120mph around the track, but some fell by the wayside before they even got to the first corner. Marvellous site to see two of them stuck on the rear spoiler of Cameron's P1.

Silly question - but should we book the track again say in May and/or June for our usual evening sessions from 6pm - 8pm ?

John
Old 18 March 2001, 02:48 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

john
great day. thanks very much for the organisation . a day in may or June or even both will be fine by me i take it track is fully booked for full days from now on ?

john
john you are right there was one P1 that was considerably faster than the rest i will be interested to know what it had done, registration plate W.. unless off course there was 2 W REG P1s.
sorry john i ran out of petrol before i could give you a ride i started to get very severe fuel surge towards the last few laps with Dougie ( petrol gauge just below 1/2 way ) . never stopped us from enjoying ourselves though . did Dougie come out with you ? he could comment on the difference in the handling between both cars ??
Old 18 March 2001, 05:59 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hello All

Great day....glad to see that amount of money being raised. Thanks for the organisation from John S.

John (T-uk) i remember one corner when it got a little hairy Your car seemed to be cornering well to me. Oh hows the disc??Is it ok?

Thanx to all those people that gave me rides.

Ian
Old 18 March 2001, 06:01 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

lo lads

well i did have the oppertunity to go out with both john and sam

both damn good cars in 2 different ways

john your car seemed to be a lot harsher on the brakes than sams,dont know the reason for that though,maybe u were taking the car further into the corners than say some1 else without your bottle

as for grip i think the grip was about the same for both cars but the biggest difference was that sam was deffinetly faster through the corners though. some might say sams was better but it had slicks so i would agree with that but on the other hand the grip that john was finding on standard road tyres was pretty awesome though so pretty hard to judge with out comparing side by side on the track together though.i would say that sam would probably win though but with john driving he wouldnt be to far behind :P

not picking side between u 2 just trying to put a fair coment over between the 2 cars

dougie+diana
Old 18 March 2001, 06:33 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

First time I've spectated at a track day - enjoyed it very much. Many thanks to those who took me for a run round. Only one problem - now I want an Elise as well as my Scooby!

The weather wasn't perfect but it could have been a lot worse - I was back at Knockhill this morning for a race marshal training session. Several of the guys had problems actually getting to the circuit from the Motorway because of the snow and there were a couple of pretty bent cars on the A90 South of the Forth Bridge.

G
Old 18 March 2001, 06:48 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

dougie
this is not supposed to be my car is better than yours competition. unless i miss understood john he just wanted to know how his very standard car compared to others. it is not really fair to compare both cars or even drivers. my car has a lot more mods than john's. also john has done very well on the track considering how long he had the car for. i have had my car for a year and a halve now and i have done loads of track days at knock hill so i feel very comfortable throwing the car at the corners . john s could probably still remember my fisrt couple of track days. . i was the one spinning my car every 5-6 laps . also with your comments about the braking you will find we were braking very late compared to most cars but it is the combination of APs and slicks that made look easy.
Old 18 March 2001, 07:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Well, i made it home in one piece and i managed to make a little bit of history. Knockhill was the first track event i have attended where i didnt melt or break something on the car, whats all that about then?

I was running lower boost than normal just to help improve the reliability as its a long way to limp home, that idea seems to have worked.

I normally run 1.8BAR peak and 1.5BAR held but for this weekend i wound it down to 1.5BAR Peak, holding 1.25BAR. That seemed enough to still be fun round a rather technical circuit, especially in the wet.

I really enjoyed the track, there is a lot to learn there, my favourite corner has to be butchers, once i had learned the line there i could have it airborn into the dip on full throttle, great fun.

It was a good job i had my new quickrack installed as i was using plenty of lock in the hairpin, absolutely imposible to exit without wheelspin.

JohnS got probably the slowest laps of all the passengers as it was incredibly slippy just after the snow on my semi-slicks. I think it was a bit of an eye opener for john on what effort is required to keep 300BHP RWD in a straight line in the wet. He discovered there is a bump at the crest of the main straight, you dont feel it at all in an Impreza, when i hit that in the wet we were doing 110MPH and the rear wheels started to spin again, wakes you up a bit that does.

There were a couple of impreza's on track that particularly impressed, one was a silver WRX, the other a very well driven P1.
I followed that for a few laps before passing, it was a lot of fun to follow through the tight corners in particular, plenty of sideways action.

The bigest problem for me was catching people going into duffus and then having to follow until the real fun section was over. Thats inevitable on such a small track and the runs i did get on my own through there were worth the waiting for, great series of corners.

Overall impresion of knockhill is that it's a true drivers circuit, very technical to string a good lap together. Fantastic track if you want to overdrive the car and just be a loonatic rather than go for lap times. I will definately be back for another run, the track is worth the effort of travelling so far for. (as is the company)

Just like to end on some thanks to everyone that made my trip up fun. I cant mention everyone (cos my memory is poo ) but i would especially like to thank JohnS for organising the day and sorting me accomodation and fuel. To Mark and Alison for putting me up (putting up with me more like ). Jack and Colin for the ready supply of super unleaded. Plus the rest of the gang that made the weekend great fun, Cameron, John, Stef, Michelle, Ian, Pat, Colin, Martin, Lambchop ........... too many to mention.

Some piccies below from the weekend, the westie in a blizard on the way home was just a little chilly and we wont mention the pitstop to change my soaking pants i think.

Old 18 March 2001, 07:37 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi John
it is good to see you back in one piece. i take it you did not got to crail then ? or have you found your 0.3second yet

it is not a silver WRX it is just a uk car. stef took the 1 and 4 picture from my car while we were trying really hard to keep up with you on the straigts.
Old 18 March 2001, 08:48 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Cool

My first track day, and although I didn't take the wee beastie on the track, I had a ball on the passenger laps that I managed to blag.

Thanks in particular to Chris for fulfilling a lifelong ambition in his much cherised 22B, and to Dave Brown for some hair-raising moments in his mates EVO.

John, thanks for organising another great event, looking forward to the karting in a couple of weeks.

Andrew.

[This message has been edited by AndrewW (edited 18 March 2001).]
Old 18 March 2001, 09:20 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

sam

sam m8 thats the last thing that i wanted it to sound like

i know the cars are totally diffrent,so are the drivers i was only trying to help

hope i didnt offend either of u 2

i still remember that p1 sam he was slighty pi**ed of (but what a manouver

john hows the disc m8 didnt know till maxy said.what happened to u u seemed to just disappear at the end

heres looking forward to the next time

dougie + diana
Old 18 March 2001, 09:21 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Didn't realise that was you in the silver car sam, quick car that and well driven, very impressed.

We knocked Crail on the head when we woke up to snow, not much in the way of traction in that stuff.
Old 18 March 2001, 11:01 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks once again to John S & helpers for a great afternoon @ KH.We managed to get in 40+ laps & burnt our way through 55 quids worth of super.
Karen had a go in the beginners session <after a bit of coaxing> & did really well for a first time on a circuit.She cant wait for the next one
Managed a few passenger laps at the end, but the fuel surge was slowing me down somewhat.Impressed with the silver Evo6 with the white wheels, the RS turbo, but most impressed by johns westie <lapped me many times!!>.Looked like a right handfull John

Once again, a superb day @ KH & big thanks to Dougie for looking after my petrol supply.

Dave
Old 18 March 2001, 11:02 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Question

I think thats us in the background in the second photo ??

Dave
Old 18 March 2001, 11:10 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Ooops, I slept in - pressure of work..... Many apologies, but will try my best next time

Regretting it big time now.
Old 19 March 2001, 08:40 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I thoroughly enjoyed Knockhill on Saturday.

The weather made things interesting at times, but I didn't think it diminished the overall enjoyment of the day.

Thanks very much to JohnS for organising, glad to hear we raised so much money!

It was great to put some faces to names and to see some quality cars being well driven on track.

Dave Reid - thanks again for the passenger laps in the Evo6 - my first time round the circuit, and it was great fun!
Good to see what "proper" brakes can do!

I didn't manage to get out in JohnF's Westie - he seemed pretty much fully booked from the start of the day! Oh well, next time...

RichS
(Silver MY00 UK 4 door)

Old 19 March 2001, 09:07 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

Hi everyone

Sam, firstly its running 13.5 psi to make 195 at the wheels. It was tuned and setup by Alan at AVA in glasgow. If they can do that with an rsturbo 1600 cc 11 year old engine imagine what they could do with your lots subarus and evo's once their 4x4 rolling road is up and running * OHMAGOSH *!!!. The car har recorded 150.1 mph at bruntingthorpe with digital datron timing gear.

I find it a shame you only note it being quick on the straights... the only part it was slow on was braking into the hairpin and round the hair pin due to traction. Do u not feel it was pretty quick thru the complex after the pit straight as i dont recall you "zapping up behind me" at that point at all infact i do recall catching everyone up thru there bar say the exige that was black. PS that includes p1 evo six and everything else!

Sam, If i remember correctly the only corner you seemed to be "having me" on was the hair pin. I do recall yours as being one of the subarus that was being driven very hard, Also i bet it was you behiond me when we went thru the chicane with the yellow flags flying? tail gating me like a right nutter

There was an exige and something else both spun out over the chican and we come pelting thru the corners!

When u came up beind me out braking me into the hair pin it was rather a case of HELLO are u gonna ram me? i was braking early due to back markers if i remember rightly ( if that was your silver impreza but id guess it was! )

then when i got a lead up the straight a couple of laps later due to passing another car or something,that u didnt manage to on that corner, you never seemed to catch up again until i slowed down.

Again im a tad hazy here, but i think there was two sorta "times" when we were having a good battle or was that another silver impreza?

Thru the complex after the pit straight i never had any car "being held up by me" except maybe the black exige and johns westfield ( well i presume so as johns car wasnt behind me ever at that point )

EXCEPT when i was warming up the slicks or touring to cool down, at which point u would fine my car pinned to the right to let everyone passed.

JOHN_S my red nose wouldnt stick to the car so it was a passenger!

My fiances father who was there heard this comment " I dont know whats in that grey escort but its surely not an rsturbo engine as i have never seen an rsturbo that fast before "

haha

i hope the effort i put in proved that a mk4 escort can be driven really hard round the bends!

cheers

rw

[This message has been edited by TFyus (edited 19 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by TFyus (edited 19 March 2001).]
Old 19 March 2001, 09:22 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

robertio...

the bonnet sits like that to let my chargecooler fit in... it was too big to fit in the std engine bay confinments thanks re: car comments... it was a good day!

t-uk...

cheers, im glad the bonnet never popped open! people always point out to me the bonnets lose etc its quite amusing but its actually very solidy held on

the car was going well... and apart from the snow on the slicks it was greatt

Steven RW
Old 19 March 2001, 11:30 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Just like to say what an excellent time I had at Knockhill. I’ve been going along to the Hot Hatch days since they started about 7 years ago, but today’s Scooby/Elise day was definitely one of the best events in recent memory .

I didn’t manage to get out for passenger laps, but I did notice a couple of cars that stood out on track for various reasons -

DBM V555*** - Looked really quick up the straight and sounded awesome
P1 with slightly damaged front splitter – also flying
Elise - ** TUT – Excellent noise and seemed quicker than a lot of other Elises
Evo VI w. slicks – pdq!
TFyus with the RST – Imprezzive!

Saw a few cars in the paddock – Robertio, Gordon Shek’s car (couldn’t be anyone else’s with a reg like that!), DarkForce’s X rated car , some nice Terzo’s and lots of other cars that I can’t remember now!

I arrived about 2pm after a rolling road shootout in the morning. Would loved to have taken the 206 on but it currently needs new front struts . All in all an excellent day – I’m definitely coming along to the next one!
Old 19 March 2001, 11:57 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

the_gza or whatever that stands for!

cheers for the comments!

glad to bring along a little "ford" to the day jest

cheers

Steven RW

ps strange that everyone calls me by my user name on here not my actual name steven_rw

Old 19 March 2001, 12:39 PM
Lambchop
Scooby Regular

Hello all
What a great turn out and some real nice motors.Pity about the weather though! I mean snow?!? what was that all about?

I didnt speak to many scooby people but i was the passenger in RW's wee grey RST.I think we managed to turn a few heads,or at least we should have!Nothing better than having to flash a P1 to move over when your in an 11 year old 1600cc 140000miler Fordy! lol

Sam
Just quick on the straights?? If i remember rightly he was every bit as quick as any scoob on the track through the corners except the hairpin where wheelspin was a b1tch
The modded evo6(white wheels i think) could only pull from just off his rear quarter to just off the front of his car on the pit straight. Now where did those 300+horses go?

John F
Nice meeting you and your car
Thanks a lot for the spin....thats one amazing wee beast....hope to see it again sometime.
I think your mad driving with no roof and in the snow on the motorway...RESPECT

John S
Great day and a pity you couldnt participate as much as the others.Nice to meet you and i hope to take my RST on to a track night in the future.I have about 20bhp less than RW BTW so some of you might have a look in this time lol

Steven

Quick Reply: Knockhill... i was there :).... oh yes... and so was the grey beastie ;)