ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6x9 help

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2005, 06:57 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 6x9 help

I want to fit some 6x9's to the rear shelf of MY05 WRX. Space is tight and although there are holes all ready there is some sort of electrical unit fitted accross one of the mounting holes ?. What is this unit and can i move it ?

I reckon that with some 12mm MDF i can do a decent job but has anyone else out there fitted rear 6x9's shelf speakers in MY05 model. Any pics of finished install would be appreciated
Old 30 May 2005, 12:47 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC it's a radio aerial booster, you certainly can move it with no problems - I have on my 02 (to fit 6.5" components in my case). There are some people who have fitted 6*9s (Genesis 6*9 subs being a favourite on here IIRC). Both subjects have been discussed several times in the past - use the search facility - and remember that the rear shelf is pretty much identical on an 05 to anything from 01 onwards.
Old 30 May 2005, 09:42 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for that. I will move the booster now i no what it is.

Was looking on various supplier web sites last night and really cant make my mind up what i should fit.

It looks like a boot mounted sub with seperate amp or just disconnect my rear door speakers and power some 6x9s from the head unit are my options.

Which way should i go guys ???
Old 30 May 2005, 02:51 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickp
It looks like a boot mounted sub with seperate amp or just disconnect my rear door speakers and power some 6x9s from the head unit are my options.

Which way should i go guys ???
I'm in a similar position to you Mick. I've been scratching my head over the last week trying to work out what I can do to improve the overall sound within my modest requirements. Ive decided on a head unit nd Infinity components - so now to the back of the car

For the time being my thoughts are on decent 6x9s in the shelf and a small sub in the boot. As I will frequently carry passengers I'm looking for a clear crisp sound all round the cabin which discounts the genesis as they tend to be overpower the higher frequencies for rear seat passengers. Only problem is I have no idea what other 6x9s will fit.

So I am going for a 10" sub and amping the sub and 6x9s BUT when I was 17 I blew up the electrics of my car trying to fit an amp and the experience has put me off ever since.

Don't mean to hijack your thread on this but I feel its relevant but I cant find any decent idiots guide to fitting an amp on tinternet before I make my final decision on the setup.

Anyone?

Last edited by jbwrx300; 30 May 2005 at 03:02 PM. Reason: abysmal spelling!