Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6x9 for parcel shelf - any Infinity screw straight in from above?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 09:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My system -

Kenwood CD
Inf 605CS front
Factory rear
Pioneer TSW205 bandpass sub box
Kenwood 4 channel bridged to two for fronts
Jensen 2 channel for sub

I am very happy with it for a budget system. However, I take the sub out with the two attached amps for every track day, and am very keen to lose it and put the amps on the rear seat backs, even though it punches very well and fit some 6x9, possibly low passed. I don't want to spend much (eg on some nice Kicker 6x9 sub) as I am trying to make the car faster and lighter and easier to set up for the track. Are there any Infinity 6x9 or other 6x9 that will screw straight into the parcel shelf from above under the standard grilles without messing about with MDF?

Straight in fit and price are important - most 6x9 seem OK for the job.

Alternatively, I might just sell the 2 channel and the sub and leave it full range on the fronts with lots of amp.
Old 28 April 2002, 09:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On second thoughts I just went and listened to the sub again at full tilt and could not bear to take it out. The real issue is securing it. I have made an MDF false floor on the left side of the boost which is firmly attached near the tools area. The other side comes up to the edge of the spare wheel area and is not held down except by the weight of the sub. It has never moved in road driving, but I would fear for it on the track. I wondered even about strapping it down by cutting a slot in the MDF and strapping it around the spare wheel - any other ideas? Don't want to drill the floor because of rust issues.
Old 29 April 2002, 04:44 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi John

Not sure exactly how you've done your install, but it sounds similar to mine. I made an MDF floor, split down the middle (front-to-rear of the car) and added a couple of MDF spacers so it sits level and flush on the uneven boot floor. I then carpeted it and the results were better than I'd expected, you can hardly see the join but it's very secure and takes 2 minutes to remove.

I cut a few slots in the floor and used a couple of claw-type straps to keep it all secure. Because there's a strap going through both halves of the false floor and around the enclosure, when it's done up tight the whole thing is very solid and has not budged.

Btw, in true John Banks style the whole thing including sub, amp, mdf and carpet cost me a whopping £90.50

If you do go down the shelf-speaker route (doubtful as I know I couldn't be without my sub now!) the Infinity 5x7's may be a better fit, and be less visible too.

Whip
Old 29 April 2002, 07:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I like the £90 My setup is remarkably similar to yours. I have got another claw strap and will cut another slot in the free edge of the false floor and strap it around the spare wheel then it won't be moving anywhere
Old 30 April 2002, 11:46 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Mine doesn't budge - the seats do a great job of securing the floor (impossible to remove it without dropping the seats first) and the straps just wrap round the mdf floor. If yours is the same you may find that you don't really need to wrap it round the spare wheel, it ain't going anywhere.

Whip
Old 01 May 2002, 03:13 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
john youve got boost on the brain.. dont you mean boot..

David
Old 01 May 2002, 03:15 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
john, get a propper sub box like I had... 2x 12's and then do a nice big impractical boot install..

I would either drill to the back of the seat.. no rust issues there or strap it to anything that is secure...

David