Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear Fill Speakers for MY00, which 6x9's fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 04:19 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I know weve done the speaker fitment stuff to death but IIRC not all 6x9s are equal as some dont fit the MY00 rear shelf...

I have decided to finally use my headunit to provide rear fill and leave my amping for my fronts and my sub (for those that dont remember ive Inf. 602CS up front, Inf. 12.1 sub and Alp. MRVF407 amp)

So what I need are some rear fill 6x9s to drop into the shelf which will use the existing car wiring... any thoughts?

Jon.
Old 05 January 2002, 08:32 PM
Martin R
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Fitted some Sony 5694 6" x 9" 200W speakers to rear parcel shelf ok. I got them from Argos for £40 about 2 months ago. They were advertised in catalogue as 5693's but when I got them home they were 5694 (4 way rather than 3 way)! I have since seen them for £80 in local Sony shop.
Old 01 May 2002, 08:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alpine SPE-6930 6" x 9"
http://www.arnesta.freeserve.co.uk/hifi.htm

I'm sure you've heard it said before why not try the factory speakers? If you are running them at the correct level (ie barely perceived according to the rec.audio.car faq) then you don't need any more power handling or frequency response than the factory speakers - and you certainly don't need 6x9 if you have a sub. I tried some Kenwood 6.5" coaxials in the rear deck and when I changed back to the factory speakers I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

" Rear fill refers to the presence of depth and ambiance in music. A properly designed system using two channels will reproduce original rear fill on the source without rear high frequency drivers. Since recordings are made in two channels, that is all you will need to reproduce it. What is captured at the recording session (coincident pair mics, Blumlein mic patterns, etc.) by a two channel mic array will capture the so called rear fill or ambiance. Many of the winning IASCA vehicles have no rear high frequency drivers. Also a lot of this has to do with system tuning. If rear high frequency drivers are added, however, the power level of the rear fill speakers should be lower than that of the front speakers, or else you will lose your front-primary staging, which is not what you want (when was the last time you went to a concert and stood backwards?). The proper amount of amplification for rear fill speakers is the point where you can just barely detect their presence while sitting in the front seat. Separates are not a requirement for rear fill; in fact, you may be better of with a pair of coaxial speakers, as separates may throw off your staging."
rec.audio.car faq section 5.5
It is a pointless and irritating waste of money to rip apart your rear deck and reap no benefit whatsoever! Believe me.

[Edited by john banks - 1/5/2002 8:49:35 PM]