6x9 on rear shelf

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2002, 09:57 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi there,

I've put jbl 6x9 in the rear shelf of our my97 - saloon.....

...they sound great.

pop out the rear seat (both bits) then very carefully prise off the shelf cover - v. careful as there are little placcy clips that are a bugger but do come out, might be worth squeezing the clips from inside the boot!!
Once done, I didn't actually bother cutting the metal of the shelf itself, as the speaker cut outs are a funny shape and close enough to the 6x9 shape - it's easier ( and possibly safer) to leave the metal alone, push the speaker up under the shelf from inside the boot, wiggle around to line up as best you can with the cut out, while missing the wires and boot lid bits, mark the 4 holes, drill, treat holes with gunk to stop rot, then connect speakers in... it was really simple, so don't worry too much.

hope this is of some use.

cheers

Mikey Ace

edited to say - also don't forget about the rear side panles inside the car. they re a bugger to get off, again awkward placcy clips, but they do yeild with some 'well judged' large screwdriver action...
cheers !!

Mikey ACE :-)

[Edited by Mikey Ace - 6/4/2002 11:01:00 PM]
Old 04 June 2002, 12:06 PM
hawk
Scooby Regular

can any1 help???? ive got some 6x9s jbls want them in the back has any1 got any pics or advice on how to go about doing this
thanks
Old 04 June 2002, 08:00 PM
twinny
Scooby Regular

I don't know if you have already bought the 6x9, but considering all the work involved in replacing the standard speakers in the rear I would advice you to look at a sub for the trunk instead and just unhook the original speakers in the shelf.
Old 04 June 2002, 11:15 PM
twinny
Scooby Regular

I did the same thing, only I did bother with cutting the metal, and it was one hell of a job. Now that i'm finished i'm pretty happy with it, but when I was very close to just give up a couple of times..

You can read what I wrote about it here: http://pssshh.hjem.no/apps/pbcs.dll/...5210003&Ref=AR