Notices

converting blob WRX to widetrack - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2013, 06:54 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting blob WRX to widetrack - Worth it?

Hello all!

Just wondering what your thoughts on blob widetracks are. Are they significantly better than the non-widetrack blobs?

What's needed to do the conversion?

Cheers in advance to everyone

Last edited by Reshard1977; 27 October 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 28 October 2013, 01:23 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
Hello all!

Just wondering what your thoughts on blob widetracks are. Are they significantly better than the non-widetrack blobs?

What's needed to do the conversion?

Cheers in advance to everyone
Very interested in this also
Old 28 October 2013, 02:19 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

It's going to cost you a fair amount, you may as well sell and buy an STI widetrack in all honesty
There is a lot to change to achieve this
Old 29 October 2013, 12:26 AM
funtime888
Scooby Newbie

Just had my MY55 widetrack on the rolling road only to find that it has 307bhp in standard setup (mine doesn't have PPP, it doesn't even have a sports cat), so I'd have to agree with chrispy200 just buy a late (55reg) widetrack
Old 29 October 2013, 01:35 AM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hubs, suspension, gearbox, diff, propshaft, driveshafts, lateral link arms, wheels and brakes.
Lots of cash needed, imho not worth doing, buy a widetrack sti, you could go through the bother of doing all that and more to get the dccd working and at the end of the day its just another modified subaru, which is the conclusion i came to

Last edited by gazney101; 29 October 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 29 October 2013, 02:50 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Resh

Not sure why you want to convert yours to Widetrack,but you will need convert almost everything including the gearbox etc and you will put lots of money,which you can use on different things.

If they're better than non widetrack,not sure,many will say they're have stronger driveshafts,DCCD,better interior and few cosmetic upgrades,engine are same on both STI etc.

We are running still WRX diff/driveshafts at 555bhp without the issue,we are run them at 490bhp without the issue

Jura
Old 29 October 2013, 03:20 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Resh

Not sure why you want to convert yours to Widetrack,but you will need convert almost everything including the gearbox etc and you will put lots of money,which you can use on different things.

If they're better than non widetrack,not sure,many will say they're have stronger driveshafts,DCCD,better interior and few cosmetic upgrades,engine are same on both STI etc.

We are running still WRX diff/driveshafts at 555bhp without the issue,we are run them at 490bhp without the issue

Jura
Hi Jura,

Hows things? Hope you and your brother are well! You should both come round sometime soon! My Car is mapped now :-)

I was really more interested in the widetrack suspension, now i have my engine sorted (well, almost) i'm going to concentrate on the suspension. I didnt realise widetracks had lots of other mods outside of the suspension! I'm learning all the time!

Is the widetrack suspension set up much better than non-widetrack suspension cars?

Would it be cheaper and better to just add aftermarket suspension bits to my car?
Old 29 October 2013, 03:23 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the opinions guys, much appreciated. I'm thinking its better value to just mod the WRX suspension, with bolt on aftermarket bits.

Cheers again!
Old 29 October 2013, 03:25 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Just beef up your own cars suspension,job done.SJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 04:50 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
Hi Jura,

Hows things? Hope you and your brother are well! You should both come round sometime soon! My Car is mapped now :-)

I was really more interested in the widetrack suspension, now i have my engine sorted (well, almost) i'm going to concentrate on the suspension. I didnt realise widetracks had lots of other mods outside of the suspension! I'm learning all the time!

Is the widetrack suspension set up much better than non-widetrack suspension cars?

Would it be cheaper and better to just add aftermarket suspension bits to my car?

Hi Resh

Wagon is mapped and everything is just fine,glad yours is mapped too,we should come probably end of the week,will text you when we will come,but probably end of the week looking like most likely

Widetrack suspension is not better than OE STi suspension,both using inverted shocks,probably best idea is go with Bilstein and Eibach springs,or try have look on the KYB AGX with Eibach Springs

Coilovers really depends,we will come and you can try how you will find them,but our suspension is set to firm

Really depends what you want from suspension,better handling/better ride/lowering the car

Good wheel alignment will or can transform the ride,if you are lowering the and adding more bits,I would go with polybushes/ALK/Roll centre-Bump Steer and OE STI ARB's,with those bits you should be pretty happy

Jura