Notices

Plug Change - Misfire cause isn't it?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2012, 02:24 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug Change - Misfire cause isn't it?

Knew it was gonna be a ballache, but wasn't prepared for how much of a ballache it really is especially when the last person to change them didn't lubricate the threads and had to squeak the rear offside plug out a sixth of a turn at a time

Plugs that were in there were PFR6B's and they didnt look too bad, but gaps seemed a bit large, with the rear offside more than the rest. Gotta get some new feeler gauges though as cannot find mine, am I right in thinking 80 thou for the correct gap?

None of the coilpacks are cracked, and having changed the MAF I am thinking the oversize plug gap is a possible cause of my "under load misfire" ?

Am replacing the plugs with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270456812703 when they arrive, bit late to ask but any good? A cooler plug than the ones in there now.

Finally, any tips for putting them back in safely/easily (other than lubricate the threads).
Old 16 February 2012, 02:31 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galifrey
Knew it was gonna be a ballache, but wasn't prepared for how much of a ballache it really is especially when the last person to change them didn't lubricate the threads and had to squeak the rear offside plug out a sixth of a turn at a time

Plugs that were in there were PFR6B's and they didnt look too bad, but gaps seemed a bit large, with the rear offside more than the rest. Gotta get some new feeler gauges though as cannot find mine, am I right in thinking 80 thou for the correct gap?

None of the coilpacks are cracked, and having changed the MAF I am thinking the oversize plug gap is a possible cause of my "under load misfire" ?

Am replacing the plugs with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270456812703 when they arrive, bit late to ask but any good? A cooler plug than the ones in there now.

Finally, any tips for putting them back in safely/easily (other than lubricate the threads).
I found the easiest way and quickest was from under neath on a car using a ramp, make it allot easier to fiddle about in there, Pain n the *** from top, but from underneath was a lot easier
Old 16 February 2012, 03:01 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SLAB
I found the easiest way and quickest was from under neath on a car using a ramp, make it allot easier to fiddle about in there, Pain n the *** from top, but from underneath was a lot easier
Good advice for next time but can't do now
Old 16 February 2012, 04:57 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are the exact plugs i fitted myself today! Was the first time ive changed plus myself so was a bit apprehensive, but was easy enough. The hardest part was refittin my gruppe M induction kit, right bloody pain in the **** it was!

The car starts up and runs a lot smoother now so i would recommend these plugs
Old 16 February 2012, 08:58 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lewisdj
They are the exact plugs i fitted myself today! Was the first time ive changed plus myself so was a bit apprehensive, but was easy enough. The hardest part was refittin my gruppe M induction kit, right bloody pain in the **** it was!

The car starts up and runs a lot smoother now so i would recommend these plugs
Good to hear, the ones in it were the platinum tipped version, no idea if the newuns are better or worse, just thought they must be due a change.
Old 18 February 2012, 01:16 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Use of the search facility reveals 0.6-0.7mm plug gap recommended incase anyone else reads this thread.
Old 24 February 2012, 12:42 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

So 45 mins to refit and reassemble the car, pleased with that. Still slight hesitation/misfire, am wondering what I can replace next, guess it is time to fit the newage coilpacks, even though mine were completely crack free.
Old 24 February 2012, 02:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What about the plug LEADS? I've had one break down after a plug change, and cause the same symptoms.
Old 24 February 2012, 03:09 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

before replacing the plug leads pal if its misfiring on idle unplug each coil pack untill you find a cylinder that it doesnt really make a difference to this will atleast tell you if it is a coil if you find a duff coil try it in another pot too
Old 24 February 2012, 04:39 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
What about the plug LEADS? I've had one break down after a plug change, and cause the same symptoms.
Do you mean the Low Tension leads? As they are coil on plug (x4)
Old 24 February 2012, 04:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't have to be cracked to play up mine are missing under load beyond a bar of boost. Simple anwser is fit newage coil converison.
Old 24 February 2012, 04:56 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
They don't have to be cracked to play up mine are missing under load beyond a bar of boost. Simple anwser is fit newage coil converison.
Yeah need to get my a$$ is gear and fit it, just don't relish trying to solder in the cold