Notices

Boost psi upon remap ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2011, 03:19 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost psi upon remap ??

2005 2.0 blobeye wrx- what revs should the turbo come in on standard map and once remapped does the turbo come in earlier or same ??

does switchable boost make much difference ie. majority of time I find I am driving off boost anyway. what advantages does switchable boost give you in real life, as obviously putting the foot down when on turbo is going to use more petrol regardless off what boost level is set is it not ??

I take it with low boost it would just be like driving the car before the remap and high boost with added umph ??!!

lastly what boost psi / bar should a standard 2005 wrx be running and what are they normally turned up to upon remap ??

thats it !!
Old 11 September 2011, 04:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two boost levels only really works as a girlfriend driving mode or in at workshop for work etc. If you drive at full throttle you want full power, if you are driving gently to save fuel it makes little difference what full boost would be etc.

Once mapped depending on exact modes upto 1.2bar.

Standard is around 0.7bar I think. Never normally in a car running standard boost
Old 11 September 2011, 07:30 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers that great, any ideas for at what revs the turbo should kick in when standard / remap ?? again its a 2005 wrx

so no real benefit for switchable boost then ?? what about these variable boost controlers simon again why would you want to vary boost levels ??

Last edited by jono300; 11 September 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11 September 2011, 07:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Roughly 2600rpm v 2400rpm
Old 11 September 2011, 07:38 PM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

The mapper can make the boost come on a fraction early with a bigger hit , norm for TD4 turbo would be 1.3Bat and fade to 1Bar as the revs increase. This gives a good increase in mid range power and more responce lower revs 2 to 3 K. Circa 265 to 280 dep on fuel and the amount of advance the mapper can get away with.
Old 11 September 2011, 07:44 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect cheers lads.
Old 11 September 2011, 07:53 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Simon spoke about it before in a previous related thread but my plans are to change the 2nd decat exhaust on this wrx as well as fit an uprated fuel pump- the HRC255, car already has a Blitz nur spec cat back and k+n panel filter with bung in place in the back box.

would there be anything else required for the remap ie. change off plugs etc ?? there are newish plugs on the car anyway but would I deffinatly have to change to a different grade off plugs, any danger in using the wrong plugs ?? with the increased boost psi would keeping the original up / down pipe be okay - not more chance off it blowing bits off the cat converter in the uppipe into the turbo etc in turning up the boost ??

lastly do plan to change the Blitz nur spec cat back sometime to something I can use without a bung in place !! but in the meantime okay to run a bung in the exhaust with the remap ??

questions, questions questions eh ??!!

cheers mate.

john
Old 11 September 2011, 08:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Cant find a newage wrx example but found 99 classic which is not disimilar

that had a sportscat and walbro pump and ecutek remap.

plugs no need to change, just check they arent years old etc.

would need a check once you sort the exhaust after remap

Simon
Old 11 September 2011, 10:47 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep again appreciatte the info and yep would be going back for a map tweek after an exhaust change.

1/ again okay running with a bung in the exhaust with the higher boost level ??

2/ oe uppipe decat anymore likely to break up internally running with a remap ??

as I say simon hopefully be content with the above spec off tune, if I ever do want to change the up/ down cat pipes at a later date then fine but just feel its a good bit off work / extra expense just now and feel sure that with the remap and 2nd cat delete pipe / blitz cat back and k+n panel filter I should be happy enough with the extra gain in BHP levels etc achieved !!
Old 11 September 2011, 10:51 PM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

Each time you derestrict you’re car, cat delete, exhaust change ect. You may need to tweak the map as any map you have will be more on the limit !!
Old 11 September 2011, 11:01 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

as long as the bung was in the exhaust wqhen it was mapped it could be estabilshed whether it was silly restrictive or not and it is possible to do two boost levels so you could have one with and one without the bung.

the upipe cat can break up.. but its not happening all the time else I would have the phone ringing with people moaning that after a remap the cat has gone through the turbo and I have never had someone ring up and say that. It is a consideration and heat needs to be kept under check when mapped etc.
to a degree it is a risk.. however the standard turbos are cheap and like you say the work to change the upipe cat is lots, you may as well fit a larger turbo and uppipe at the same time and go for more at that point. so the worst happens and the uppipe cat damages the turbo.. replace the turbo with another original and fit a catless upipe and get it tweaked or fit a catless upipe and sti turbo at that point.. but I think it is unlikely to be an issue.

Simon
Old 11 September 2011, 11:04 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks again simon youve been very helpful mate, appreciatte that , bit wiser now !!!