Notices

newbie help please

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2010, 09:57 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help please

I am going to view a wagon tomorrow and wanted help with the following info provided by the seller.It states this :-Engine :
The engine is fantastic and runs great, no smoke, good compression no problems to report there. It has a slight tapping at idle as I did the valve clearence recently as they was too tight. They are completely in spec now and all the tolerances are now correct but for some reason has resulted in a very slight tapping but doesnt affect the engine in anyway and I have been told it is completely normal for the larger valve heads this has on it, by a couple of scooby nuts.
Can anyone confirm this to be fact i am unsure what noise to beware of. thanks in advance
Old 29 August 2010, 10:00 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Leave it.......

Edited to add: You dont want to take the gamble that it could be pricey, or on the way to someting terminal. With the amount of Imprezas for sale and at the knockdown prices, id be patient

Last edited by Myles; 29 August 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 29 August 2010, 10:02 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

wow really leave it why ? all help is great
Old 29 August 2010, 10:04 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Sorry, see above.
Old 29 August 2010, 10:09 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shim type buckets on some heads can have tapping but if measured correctly and the right size shim is used then it shouldnt and they don't have larger valves as far as i know,and what would have made him think they were to tight in the first place?
Old 29 August 2010, 10:15 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

a bit long winded but this is the complete ad:-

This impreza is a little bit different to your usual stickered up, rally rep. Its an absolutely awesome car but as a couple of you might have seen on here i have decided to have mums MX5 off her as its such a cracking little car the scooby just hasnt felt the same to me since i got a piece of that top down b road blast action, i dont even care that winter is coming just something about the mx5 seems right to me... Anyway here is the details on the scoob:

MOT - December 2010
TAX - December 2010

History - Loads and loads, fully stamped, loads of receipts, every MOT certificate up to the current one. All original booklets etc.

Spec :
The Car is a turbo 2000 wagon but has complete import WRX running gear including the engine, which was rebuilt in 2007, I have the rebuild certificate and information that will go with the car. It is a desirable spec car having the full leather interior giving a more classy and quality look and finish compared to the usual garish coloured buckets, fantastic working aircon, power steering, 4 electric windows, electric adjustable headlamps, fog lights etc etc. It is a lovely car.

Engine :
The engine is fantastic and runs great, no smoke, good compression no problems to report there. It has a slight tapping at idle as I did the valve clearance recently as they was too tight. They are completely in spec now and all the tolerances are now correct but for some reason has resulted in a very slight tapping but doesn't affect the engine in anyway and I have been told it is completely normal for the larger valve heads this has on it, by a couple of scooby nuts. Larger TD05 turbo, STi intercooler, wrapped tubular headers, 3" wide mouth downpipe fully wrapped, de-catted centre section and pro drive backbox. I will include the downpipe with cat and the catted centre section so you can put them on for MOTs. It has an awesome sound doesn't sound like your usual scoob, it has a more raspy "tweaked" note to it that gives away that its been played with. ESL daughter board, runs 1.1 bar, ported throttle body, green cotton panel filter. Recently serviced new fluids, filters etc so runs lovely, boosts and pulls hard. It is a near as damnit 300bhp and goes like hell it really is an awesome engine

Running gear :
Everything here is fine no problems to report, silent gearbox, no whines knocks etc from any of the suspension or running gear, lowering springs obviously to get it to the height it is now, on standard shocks, rides and goes round corners very well. I have done quite a lot of work to get the wheels to sit nicely and not scrape or rub. Brakes are new mintex pads and discs on the front.

Wheels :
18"x8" BBS LM replica's not sure of the exact make but they are a fantastic replica and look great, they have 215/40/18 tyres to give a nice little bit of stretch but not too much. D1 spec alloy wheel nuts "tuner" style using an allen key type tool for removing them. Tyres are all pretty much near new with loads of tread 5-6mm.

Misc :
Good high quality gReddy electronic boost gauge for maximum acuracy, interior is all in great condition, nice black leather, aircon works great nice and cold. Polished rear strut brace with STi pink end mouting plates. Body is all in great condition, has a few little "dings" shall we call them in a couple of places as J metal is quite thin but nothing to cause any bother and you will only see them if you go looking for them.
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree with Myles.

Go see it by all means, if only to hear what a tapping engine sounds like.

As the saying goes, plenty more fish in the sea

Trending Topics

james28
Scooby Regular

another thing that put me of is the guy is 20
and owned the car 6 months and dropped 550 of the price in the matter of a few texts

Last edited by james28; 29 August 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 29 August 2010, 10:23 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
The shim type buckets on some heads can have tapping but if measured correctly and the right size shim is used then it shouldnt and they don't have larger valves as far as i know,and what would have made him think they were to tight in the first place?

as PR has said they shouldn't be noisy when done correctly, it sounds like he is trying to make a feasible excuse up sell the car on to a unsuspecting punter, walk away, you will no doubt find a better one if you look.
Old 29 August 2010, 10:27 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

thanks all i will leave this one and keep looking a few things made me wonder but looked so great in the pictures.
Old 29 August 2010, 10:35 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, what was the asking price??
Old 29 August 2010, 10:36 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

it was up at 2500 but i offered 1850 and he accepted as long as the car was right
Old 29 August 2010, 10:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmmmmm, sounds a tad eager to move it
Old 30 August 2010, 10:59 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally ,i think the car seems cheap for what it is and the spec ,but the things i look for in a car are full service history and has the owner spent money on it & the overall condition.My current car has every receipt from when the guy ordered it back in 1999 to present day(over 60 pages +every mot)and leaks no oil,or fluids ,etc,and runs like it was made yesterday.

My 99 uk had a slight tapping noise on idle but dissappeared when the revs rose,asked bob rawle about it when he mapped my car,he said nothing to worry about ,90 mins later car was hitting 320 bhp and gave no problems whatsoever.

Without hearing a sound clip or listening to the car ,hard to diagnose if the car is not running properly,after all the guy selling the car did not have to put that information down,and as we know other people have bought cars from reputable blokes off this site ,and the engines have gone 'bang 'on the drive home after a 40 minute test run.

Personally you could go and have a look at it ,and if your not happy then simply walk away and wait for another one to come up. Only 2 things i think are strange :

1. why was it advertised on a VW forum ,why not try here ,would have sold quicker imho
2. Seems a really good price considering my mate bought a 1995 wrx auto wagon 2 weeks ago for £1500 and that was a std car.

Last edited by midnight; 30 August 2010 at 11:01 AM.