Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2010, 07:44 PM
Scooby Hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Hi,

I just got my Hawkeye STi MOT'd and it failed on a faulty rear wheel bearing.

I was wondering is it ok to do the nut up really tight as this stops the wheel moving around but after a 30 min drive the side with the faulty rear wheel bearing was really hot to the touch, considerably hotter than the side that passed so this leads me to believe it could be dangerous so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 20 August 2010, 08:55 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Dont do it up really tight, as it will most likely overheat and fail in a big way. Tighten until theres no play, but the wheel should still rotate easily.
Old 20 August 2010, 09:00 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooby Hawkeye
Hi,

I just got my Hawkeye STi MOT'd and it failed on a faulty rear wheel bearing.

I was wondering is it ok to do the nut up really tight as this stops the wheel moving around but after a 30 min drive the side with the faulty rear wheel bearing was really hot to the touch, considerably hotter than the side that passed so this leads me to believe it could be dangerous so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mate defo don't it up really tight as you'll probably have a bearing collapse on your hands,get it replaced tightarse
Old 20 August 2010, 09:04 PM
Scooby Hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Mate defo don't it up really tight as you'll probably have a bearing collapse on your hands,get it replaced tightarse
lol

i want it replaced under warranty but subaru have just put the air gun on it for 5-10 seconds and done it up tight as poss but when i got home it was to hot to touch so wanted to check with people if that was safe really
Old 20 August 2010, 09:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The stake nut is supposed to be wound really tight - to the appropriate torque. However, if the bearing has failed, then it has failed. No amount of mucking around with the nut will "fix" it, temporarily or otherwise.

If you don't have the ability to replace it yourself (you'll need a press, as well as the ability to strip the hub out of the car and reassemble it), a good garage will be able to do it for you. Bearings themselves can be bought to OE spec for less than £50 somewhere like Import Car Parts.
Old 20 August 2010, 09:07 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

lol

i want it replaced under warranty but subaru have just put the air gun on it for 5-10 seconds and done it up tight as poss but when i got home it was to hot to touch so wanted to check with people if that was safe really
If that's all they did, take it staight back to the service manager and complain. They must be torqued correctly and staked down, not just tightened with a buzz gun. If, as it sounds in your case, the bearing has failed, then it requires replacement, no more or less.
Old 20 August 2010, 09:09 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol

well there being tight ***** then lol,if it already done up to required torque setting and still had play then its f**ked and needs replacing,when the torque setting is exceeded it is a comman thing for the hub assembly to run hot and its not a good thing so get her changed mate
Old 20 August 2010, 09:25 PM
Scooby Hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

i heard some scary stories of people doing the wheel bearing up to tight and crashing so i thought i would ask people in the know what they thought.

I did speak to them and ask about the work carried out and said im not happy with the way it was done and the over heating and their reply was to find another dealer and cancell other warranty work that was due.

Thanks for every ones help on this.
Old 20 August 2010, 09:25 PM
Scooby Hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

i heard some scary stories of people doing the wheel bearing up to tight and crashing so i thought i would ask people in the know what they thought.

I did speak to them and ask about the work carried out and said im not happy with the way it was done and the over heating and their reply was to find another dealer and cancell other warranty work that was due.

Thanks for every ones help on this.
Old 21 August 2010, 04:05 AM
morfo
Scooby Regular

Its time to name and shame the dealer
Old 21 August 2010, 07:21 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

If you keep runnin it with the knackered bearing, you will eventually knacker the hub, and then it will cost twice as much to fix...

As above name and shame the stealer.
Old 21 August 2010, 08:34 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Its time to name and shame the dealer
AND report them to trading standards while you're at it!! Give them one chance to back down, fix the problem the right way and offer you free servicing for the life of the car, if you like, but definitely start taking names, taking pictures, and making a note of times, dates and so on, in readiness for handing details of your story to the authorities, if they don't pull their finger out sharpish.

Knackered bearings are an MOT fail for good reason, and any garage or professional mechanic willfully putting cars back on the road with them isn't just flouting the law but potentially putting road-users lives at risk. That an official dealership has done this only makes it all the more scandalous.