Notices

BLOB WRX, WHAT DO I NEED........?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2010, 12:20 AM
stevros
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BLOB WRX, WHAT DO I NEED........?

hi guys bit of advice please,
right ive got a 2004 wrx on 54k, its got an fmic, full decat 3" system and an air filter,
what else do i need if i fit a td05 18g? will just sti pinks be ok or should i go bigger incase of future further developments!?!
are the standard injectors top or side feed?
obviously a uprated fuel pump and an adj pressure reg?
an avcr?
what will the standard block be good for boost pressure wise from that turbo and what realistic power am i looking at on this block?
can the standard ecu be remapped for this lot or do i haveto spend big and go the stand a lone route?
is there anything ive missed?
lots of questions i no but thanks in advance for your advice/support!
Old 07 July 2010, 12:35 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevros
hi guys bit of advice please,
right ive got a 2004 wrx on 54k, its got an fmic, full decat 3" system and an air filter,
what else do i need if i fit a td05 18g? will just sti pinks be ok or should i go bigger incase of future further developments!?!
are the standard injectors top or side feed?
obviously a uprated fuel pump and an adj pressure reg?
an avcr?
what will the standard block be good for boost pressure wise from that turbo and what realistic power am i looking at on this block?
can the standard ecu be remapped for this lot or do i haveto spend big and go the stand a lone route?
is there anything ive missed?
lots of questions i no but thanks in advance for your advice/support!

sti pinks are fine with the 18g, a freind ran a 20g on the standard block and it didn't go bang, forget about the avcr not needed, get a 3 port boost solenoid, decat up-pipe and a open source remap by the likes of andrew carr and you will be sorted.
Old 07 July 2010, 07:15 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top feed injectors on your year car - the sti pinks will be fine for the 18G and tbh that is about as far as i would recommend going on the std engine/box.

Walbro 255 fuel pump would be needed. An adjustable FPR isnt necessary.

The std ecu should be remapped and the boost control is best left to the ecu. Through the remap the boost level will be increased and all other parameters tuned to get to the desired (and safe) performance levels.

It would be worth fitting a 3 port boost solenoid but it isnt essential as the std 2 port will work fine.

I am often over Birmingham way mapping and charge £350 for a full custom remap
Old 07 July 2010, 01:10 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

ok thanks mate i'll keep your number, is that cash or inc vat?
Old 07 July 2010, 01:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

personaly i'd dump the td05 in favour of a vf35/34 or a sc36.
Old 07 July 2010, 07:19 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

whats the difference between all these different types? ive been told the td05 is ample and quite strong?
Old 07 July 2010, 08:30 PM
band_wagon
Scooby Regular

Call mark at Thwaits devolopments in warrick top guy he even pulled a late nut mission for me to tweak map for new turbo and fmic he's prices are spot in too top guy no's his **** so to say not to far too .... Google thwaits devlopments I've got a vf 35 fmic 3" turbo back system no cats Sti pinks and stainless headed on my 04 plate wrx an she pulls mint !!

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2010, 12:01 AM
stevros
Scooby Regular

what kind of power figures have you got? i expect that a mobile mapper wouldnt be able to give a power figure without a rolling road?
Old 08 July 2010, 12:11 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

what kind of power figures have you got? i expect that a mobile mapper wouldnt be able to give a power figure without a rolling road?

most mobile mappers have a software they can use to get a power reading from on the road.
Old 09 July 2010, 08:00 AM
stevros
Scooby Regular

thats good news then mate i better start buying parts!!
ive ordered a 3 port sol off fiestaboy
and ive got a seller on ebay down to £130 delivered for a set of pinks, is that a good price?
they are used, thanks
Old 09 July 2010, 08:16 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Surely your car is already remapped to cope with the current mods on it?

£130 is a good price for Pinks as long as they are good, always a gamble buying used injectors, but the Likes of Lateral can clean and flow them if required.
Old 09 July 2010, 11:25 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 71/200
Surely your car is already remapped to cope with the current mods on it?

£130 is a good price for Pinks as long as they are good, always a gamble buying used injectors, but the Likes of Lateral can clean and flow them if required.
as above its false economy to fit them without having the cleaned first, becuase if one of them is knackered you will find out before you fit them, saving your engine from going bang.
Old 09 July 2010, 10:11 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

weve got a flow tester at work for up to six at one time so i'll get them checked on that
Old 09 July 2010, 10:17 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

done to death but member your standard 4 pot brakes may strugle with the extra power,
unless you have upgraded them already.
Old 09 July 2010, 10:25 PM
band_wagon
Scooby Regular

4 pots did well stopping me from 160+ on m54 private test track lol all Ive done since os upgrade to a god speed 2 piece disc and kept standard calipers .. I'm running 351bhp and 339ftlb
Old 09 July 2010, 10:25 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

thanks mate got red stuff and discs on the front i'll see how it goes!?!
Old 15 July 2010, 08:00 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

what kind of power can i expect with the above mods?
Old 18 July 2010, 02:52 AM
srobbo18
Scooby Regular

Can highly recomend Duncan to do remat and thwaits to fit anything and would go the vf rout as far as turbo's go. Also put a decat uppipe on if not done already
Old 20 July 2010, 06:46 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

whats the difference between the vf and td's? when you say up pipe do you mean the down pipe from the turbo to mid section exhaust? (have done that) or the pipe from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo? that wouldn't have a cat would it!?!
Old 20 July 2010, 07:05 PM
band_wagon
Scooby Regular

Yes threses a fatt cat just after the exhaust manifold mate also calle up pipe ... Were in brum are u ? I'll take you for a spin in mine so u know what to look forward too ;-)
Old 20 July 2010, 09:18 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

kitts green area mate. i never new there was a cat before the turbo!?! whats the point of that? surely its after the lambda sensor on the down pipe?
Old 20 July 2010, 09:55 PM
band_wagon
Scooby Regular

Yep there's a cat b4 turbo there's also a lamba in ur manifold b4 turbo crazy japs ..... Lose it n gain good bhp also I'm going down fort shopping center on Sunday pending my 335mm break conversion if u fancy a passenger ride .....
Old 21 July 2010, 06:21 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

have work on sunday and shopping etc sat!! will meet up tho if poss, i've looked on my exhaust manifold and followed it up to the underside of the turbo yet cant see a sensor or cat!?! it has covers on but they are pretty much the size of the pipework? mmmm is this an excuse to get stainless headers!?!?!?!
Old 21 July 2010, 07:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the difference between the vf and td's? when you say up pipe do you mean the down pipe from the turbo to mid section exhaust? (have done that) or the pipe from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo? that wouldn't have a cat would it!?!
The TD05 18G is a hardy turbo typically producing 360 bhp but various people on here have a lot more than that on some variants. Be careful because some are junk. Mine have billet wheels.
The VF35 is similar to the TD05 18G with sleeve bearings and capable of typically up to 340 bhp.
The VF34 is roller bearing and typically capable of up to 360 bhp.
The uppipe goes from the header collector to the turbo exhaust inlet and selection of the right uppipe is critical to the performance of your engine. The WRX uppipe on your car in OE form has a CAT and you will gain performance by removing this.
Fitting tubular headers to your car with any of the above turbos will probably result in poor spool/boost threshold and your best option would be properly ported headers with matched uppipe.
With an Ecutek remap you do not need an AVC-R and you don't need an FPR for what you are doing with pink top feed injectors.

Last edited by harvey; 21 July 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 23 July 2010, 07:40 AM
stevros
Scooby Regular

thanks harvey thats great help. how do you no the difference between a 'rogue' td05 and a decent one!! is this just with the td05's or are there poor copy vf's too?

why would a stainless header cause poor spool of the turbo? would've thought bein stanless and smoother inside the gases would have less restrictiction and flow faster causing slightly quicker spool up?

Last edited by stevros; 23 July 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 24 July 2010, 12:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is difficult to know which turbos are good and which are rubbish unless you are dealing with turbos all the time but some copies are excellent externally but still have crap internals.
We recently had a new TD05-20G brought by the customer from a well known source on a well speified 2.5 New Age STi. No CATS. We fitted the turbo along with injectors supplied by the customer and ported headers and uppipe. We were surprised to hear from the customer that after mapping he only had 348 bhp. Either a duff rolling road figure or possibly the turbo? Getting the right cover, wheel and combination can take a lot of time and sourcing can be very difficult.
I guess there are also copy VF series turbos but I have no direct experience. All the VFs I have worked with are off the car as supplied by Subaru but I have heard a couple of horror stories about VF copies from China that did not perform.

Headers are a compromise between flow and energy. A garden hose might flow 10 litres per minute. Put your finger partially over the end and it might flow 5 litres per minute but the water escaping is going far faster and it will squirt further. Getting header and uppipe design right is complex and without access to a flow bench can be very hit and miss and take a long time. The flow has to be improved but at the same time velocity has to be maintained or increased and that is the trick.
Ported O/E headers and matched uppipe are generally best on stock engines or a couple of levels above that and tubular headers generally come into their own on higher power applications. Even then the boost threshold may be unacceptable unless careful consideration has been given to the uppipe design. For this reason I have designed two three bolt uppipes for use with three bolt tubular header sets and owners of this set up can atest to the effectivness but only on higher power applications. Designing, fitting testing and redesigning, flow bench testing and starting again etc took 12 months off and and on effort (pun intended) and we were sick of fitting uppipes to the same car time and again, eleven times I think.!!!
Old 24 July 2010, 08:13 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

wow! thanks for the info again harvey very helpfull mate i'll look into a vf34 or a 18g billet i think, also i'll see about the up pipe as will need to loose the catalyst, i still cant see it though!!! lol!