Notices

Burnt clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2010, 11:26 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt clutch.

This morning on my local track i thought i would give the new car a bit of a work out from the traffic lights so built up the revs to around 4000rpm, dropped the clutch with a slight bit of slip and planted the pedal to the floor.

Now, first gear was over so soon and second just as fast and good God the car is fast. All back to normal speed and i get this burnt clutch smell, i mean really bad. Like an old steam train smell. I did not slip the clutch that bad and the car launched forward pretty fast, there was no climb in rpm other than with the increase of speed.

Tried all gears to get the clutch to slip under power but nothing. Did i just launch incorrectly or is the clutch on the way out??

Car is very mild on power 333bhp and 454Nm and with 40000miles on the clock MY05 STi UK.

Can any one shed some light here please?
Old 23 March 2010, 09:14 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

My last scoob was a 03 sti ppp and i would get that smell every time if i gave it the beans from a standing start, and like you i had no clutch slip, it was like that from the day i bought it and i owned that one for about a year and a half, and the clutch was still fine when i sold it, so i wouldn't worry, if there is no clutch slip it should be fine.
Old 23 March 2010, 09:43 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

As you are just down the road from me you should sign up to the best Subaru site around, Home of the Surrey Subaru Club! we are a very friendly club of like minded Subaru owners who help each other out with good advice problem solving parts and such to help keep our cars in great shape, i personally have made some very good friends through Surreyscoobies that have made my Subaru ownership not only fun but a pleasure, so pop over and say hello mate.

Regards

Danny.
Old 23 March 2010, 11:09 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Organic clutches tend to smell when well hot, why the Scoob smell is worse than most other cars I have no idea. Logically if you keep giving the clutch a hard time it will shorten its life. EVO handbook advises on clutch use "engage fully before applying full power".
Old 23 March 2010, 11:28 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

i think it just happens, mine does the same, even when using launch control..

you have a smell for around 30 secs then it goes
Old 23 March 2010, 11:26 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. My classic does not smell at all so i thought i might be heading for some trouble.
Old 23 March 2010, 11:50 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
Cheers guys. My classic does not smell at all so i thought i might be heading for some trouble.
if u keep launching u will probably burn the clutch out in time.so be prepared,or dont launch.
Old 24 March 2010, 12:18 AM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
if u keep launching u will probably burn the clutch out in time.so be prepared,or dont launch.
Sure, its not like i am a launch freak or even a drag god. It's just this new car smells real bad when i do spirited starts. If it can be solved with a different clutch i will replace it in a flash. If there is no cure it stays as is. Just wanted to hear other peoples stories. Now i know others have the same smell.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:59 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Try not to slip the clutch when launching, it has to be "on and off" otherwise you will accelerate wear on the clutch, hence the more noticeably smell.
Old 28 April 2010, 08:31 AM
MrNice
Scooby Newbie

I've started getting the same smell when I'm "making progress".

It's been fine for a year up until now, as I never use all the power unless I'm already on the move, but since 2 or 3 launches from a standing start last month, (yes, I know) I'm getting the burnt clutch plate smell after only a very short period of "pressing on".

It's not slipping yet, but with a trip to the Nurburgring coming up, I'm getting nervous...