Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Easter at the Nurburgring - the Novel :-)

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 09:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

<B>Nurburgring Trip Easter 2001 - The Novel</B>

<B>The Preparations</B>

I have been unhappy with the boost curve characteristics on my Westfield's engine for a long time now, since before my last ring trip actually. Its been making the car quite hard to drive and didn't feel all that quick.Basically it would peak at 1.8Bar then immediately drop back to 1.2Bar and hold that up to 7200rpm. I have been playing around with various jets in the Amal valve and altering the preload on the actuator but hadn't been able to get it to hold boost.

I decided I was beaten on this one so enlisted the help of Castle Performance and Ahmed Bayjoo to help me track down the problem.

After 2 days of testing everything on the engine we discovered the phase sensor was down on the distributor, this put the ECU into limp home mode, so I have been driving on track for months in "get you home safely" mode! (One of the problems with driving the Westie is that it feels quick even when sick after not driving it for a while) One of the things this does is shut off the boost control system so I was never going to get that set up properly.

We now had a healthy engine management system but it still didn't hold the boost! We did every test you could imagine, static pressure testing, running with no silencer (god that's loud, sorry Staffordshire), running with no
filter, running with the boost control disconnected to let the turbo go ballistic! Still no held boost.

Only thing it could be now was the turbo itself had a problem with its build, I had a new turbo after my last ring trip built for me, but using the original exhaust housing as the original turbo was only a few weeks old and had an inconel waste gate shaft (expensive). I had to replace it after switching it off cherry red when my oil pipe failed at the ring, cooking the oil in the bearing and killing it. I was unhappy with the boost from this original turbo also but thought it was just me not setting it up properly at the time.

I called the guys at the Turbo Shop that built my GroupA turbo up and they wouldn't believe it could possibly be faulty. After 2, 30 minute phone calls I managed to persuade them that they had to make me a new turbo for free as
it definitely was faulty! To there credit they reluctantly agreed, I can be very persuasive sometimes!

This left me with the task of getting a new turbo collected, me driving down to Daventry Wednesday evening and installing it before we set off for the ring Thursday.

I arrived at Harj's place at 8.30pm and put the Westie in the garage, some common RS200 was next to my very rare Westfield in there. I let it cool a while and at 9pm got stuck into stripping the turbo from the car. I installed the new turbo and was just about to fire it up at 11pm when I realized they hadn't drilled the hole in the exhaust housing for the lambda sensor!! Having spoken to Ahmed in the past about how his Pectel P8 map works I made the decision that this would be safe, on WOT the lambda isn't read, above 3000rpm it isn't either so I was happy the engine would be safe if not a little annoyed by the cockup.

I warmed the car up for 15 minutes after priming the turbo oil system properly then took it for a spin to set the boost up, spanners in hand. I had wanted to use some 1.5mm jets on the compressor outlet pipe to the Amal valve but could only find my 2mm drill bit so I ended up putting one eye of preload on the actuator rod end instead of my preferred ½ eye. This was still OK but the less load on the waste gate the better when not running with an inconel shaft, which I now wasn't.

WOW is all I can say, with this setup I had 1.6bar peak and holding 1.5bar to 6500rpm then it dropped away to 1.3bar by 7200rpm. I could have put more preload on it to give me 1.7bar over boost but I didn't want to overload the waste gate shaft, they bend at very high temps with lots of preload on you see.

To say I now had a different car is a HUGE understatement; it totally transformed it from a laggy fairly quick car to absolutely barking mad instant response. I was very happy and looking forward to some seriously fast driving in Germany.

It was now time for bed, so after packing up my tools and getting it ready for the morning start I eventually got to bed at 2am.

<B>Day1, Thursday 12th</B>

I woke up at 4.15am, less than 2 hours sleep! Talk about knackered! We left Harj's house at 5am prompt. Harj driving the 22B with Richard Askew as passenger, Richard Squire driving his new baby, the RS200 with Joel as
passenger, Stef in CK1 and finally me in my Westfield Zei220 with its now bonkers 330BHP healthy engine. I had my luggage and some major waste gate chatter as company.

The trip down south was very uneventful, we then arrived onto the M20 and I decided to open it up a little and see what it would do on a fast corner, we are talking seriously quick cornering ability and it was pulling very hard. Without doubt the fastest by a long margin it has ever been. Harj then decided to see what the 22B could do and opened that up on a long straight, I was just tootling behind at about half throttle with the 22B on full chat when it threw a big stone up and cracked my windscreen. Bugger, huge split from top to bottom! We then decided to pull into the services on the M20 for some fuel. Richard and Stef followed me in but no Harj???

The phone call then came I was dreading, the 22B engine had failed, sounds like the infamous number 3 bearing from the description so Stef towed the sick 22B into the services. No external oil showing, no rods out the block
etc. so hopefully it's just the crank and bearings that need replacing? That's another story in the future no doubt.

We then had a bite to eat, arranged for the 22B to be shipped back up north on an AA flat bed and stuck Harj and Richards gear into the assembled cars that were steadily arriving at the services. It was a sad sight to see the 22B drive off into the distance but Richard took it very well, "at least the old girl let us down this side of the channel, very considerate of it" LOL

So off we all drove to Dover for the Seacat. We arrived very early so just sat around chatting killing time and getting to know each other, we now had a big group including the Rainbird rocket (540BHP sapphire cossie), RS200, BMW M coupe, BMW 330 Diesel (this would be a revelation), every type of scoob you could imagine (less a 22B) plus my pocket rocket. Quite a sight next to all the euro econoboxes!

We finally boarded the Seacat; I nearly lost my sump on the on ramp, as my car is very low. We then had a 40-minute crossing where the banter continued to fly. The engine on the seacat was seriously sick though, talk about an
over fueling diesel engine, we all ended up covered in soot from the pitch black exhaust gases!

On arriving in Calais we all grouped together ready for a mega convoy to the ring. 3 corners out of the port and we got lost!! Some going up the motorway, some going into the town searching for fuel, what a cockup! LOL

Eventually we all met up again and headed off up the highway in search of Germany. We had a strict 100-mile fuel stop regime, any more and I would be out of fuel with my 27-litre fuel tank capacity. We had some serious fun on
the way up with other traffic, one guy in a Merc cut me up, the ensuing police style rolling roadblock by the guys in the convoy was hilarious. This plonker ended up surrounded by Impreza's who controlled everything he did for a mile of 2 as I sailed by with a big grin on my face. I think he got the message

Mike Rainbird then decided to show me how much faster his 540BHP cossie is than my Westie accelerating from 70MPH, errrrrrrmmmmmmm wrong Mike, he was amazed to see me catching him up, with his foot planted to the floor. My Westie was quick before, now it's just unreal. It was fun to sit behind mike as he amazed onlookers with his flame show. Do you use AGP601P's or C57's in that back box mike?? LOL

We had a great run for most of the trip but somewhere north in Belgium the motorway was blocked so we were sat in standing traffic. I pressed my clutch down and felt it snap a little, Oh bollix, that's one strand of the clutch cable just failed! I now couldn't get it in gear with the engine running but it would just about release enough to not drag when stationary. I now had to sit with one foot on the brake and one with the clutch depressed during ½ an hour of stop start 2mph traffic. My leg was killing me.

We eventually made it to the other side of the accident and started rolling again, this was a huge relief to me and also Richard in the RS200, which has no cooling fan and a rather vicious clutch.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. We met up with Ben Lovejoy at one fuel stop and he decided to join our convoy as leader. It was great to meet Ben, his website is superb and has been of huge benefit to many Ringers. We eventually left the final motorway and headed for the first town. As I went to change gear the clutch pedal went to the floor, cable snapped completely!! Damn, I had over 50 miles of small road and town driving to do and no clutch. Good job I can heal and toe, I spent the next 50 miles matching my revs to gears and actually enjoyed doing clutchless shifts by the end of the journey, good practice for the ring's fast downshifts! Only difficult moments were at traffic lights. Fortunately we only had a few we stopped at so I just started it in first gear and hoped the starter motor could cope, which it did with no complaints.

We arrived at the Hotel early evening in the dark, I was feeling ready for bed after just 2 hours sleep and a long drive in an open car.

I dumped my gear in the bedroom and headed straight down to the restaurant for some food and a glass of beer. This was going to be a quick meal, bit of a chat then straight to bed. How wrong was I on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened after the meal is a complete mystery to me, I haven't a clue what I drank but it was a LOT!! I am not touching Tequila ever again!!! I remember saying this before some time

Thanks Faye for taking me to my room Stef you git, I'll get you back for that video one day!!!!

<B>Day2 Friday the 13th!!!!!!!!</B>

I woke up at 1.30pm, god my head hurt and not a cup of coffee or alka seltzer in sight. I was not well!! I then remembered I had a clutch cable to replace before I could drive the Westie to the circuit. I always carry a spare so I thought that would be a quick 30 minute job, easy peasy!! Ermmmm Nope...... I had somehow brought the wrong cable, it was way too long. I now had to work out a bodge to make a cable that would work. I eventually used 2 sockets, bits from the original cable, 4 washers and a load of tank tape to make a workable cable. 2 hours later I was ready to roll so I fired the beasty up. ****, I now had a small water leak up front near the radiator. I double clip all my water hoses but I still had a leak on one of the joints! To get to the hose I had to strip the front nosecone off and remove the intercooler and its ducting plates, what a nightmare.

1 hour later I was ready to roll so jumped into the Westie and headed for the circuit. As I neared the track car park I opened it up then let the waste gate chatter show my arrival. It was hilarious to hear a cry of "Felstead" from all the assembled scoobynet gang over all the engine noise.

I said hello to all the assembled gang, who all started to tell me how mad the night before was, I can't remember a damn thing???? Oops!! LOL

I then bought my 12-lap ticket, Joel strapped his camera to my car and I strapped Joel to my car and we headed off for my first lap of the ring since that dreadful moment last October when my oil pipe failed. I was a little nervous about it but as soon as I cleared the barriers I went into my usual track driving mode and everything else was just blocked out of my mind. WOW, is my car fast now, after the first few corners I was well into driving the ring again, watching Stef's tape had definitely helped me remember most of the blind crests. I had made some major changes to the suspension since my last visit also as it was a real handful in October, the car was working very well on these new shocks and springs, the ride height increase and toe settings were working very well too on this rather fast bumpy circuit.

I am not sure of my first lap time but the video showed it to below 9 minutes according to Joel and I was taking it very easy! This was looking promising. I spoke to Joel afterwards; he had flown in from Seattle and was over on behalf of Microsoft to get info on the ring for the Xbox Games Project. My car is the fastest cornering, braking and accelerating vehicle he had ever experienced; he seemed quite impressed by it all.

My next lap came some 30 minutes later and it started to snow as I set off out of the barrier. This was going to get interesting! The track was wet for the first half-mile then bone dry until the carousel; it then got "oh my god this is scary" slippy for the remainder of the lap. I was getting major wheelspin and had a few nasty breakaways as the turbo spooled up. 330BHP, snow, RWD, 700Kg and virtual slicks are not a great combination on the ring, huge fun, massive challenge but very dangerous.

I made it round to the finish at some pathetic pace but I was there to drive the ring for 3 days, not be a hero and stick it into the barriers on the 2nd lap.

That was all my driving over for the day, so we all headed back to the hotel, got changed then headed for the Karting track for a quick blast around. I think I got 2nd fastest lap to Ollie who is a very experienced kart racer so I am happy with that.

We then headed out to the pub for a meal and drink, I was strictly a coke man all night, I needed to detox badly as Saturday was going to be dry and I planned on giving it some on track.

Everyone else gave it large on the beer though, it was a top night and a lot of fun, your all barking mad!!!

<B>Day3 Saturday 14th</B>

I woke up at 8am, no sign of stef and his camera thank god although the buggers tried to break my door down at 4am to do a second filming, thanks guys, I slept great after that, not. I was sober Friday night so remembered to lock my room this time!

I arrived at the ring about 9.30 and strapped the next victim into the westie and was straight out on track. I haven’t a clue what lap times I set but it was under nine minutes, I was taking it fairly easy and checking the track conditions out. The circuit had great grip, dry everywhere and nice and cold to aid my cooling of the radiator and intercooler.

I then let the car cool for 30 minutes, my cooling is a bit marginal so I like to get it nice and cold before I set off on a new lap. I plan on installing an F1 cored rad and front mounted intercooler soon, this should give me more consistent power even in summer. Right now by 2/3rds round the ring the intercooler is getting too hot, I lose around 30BHP I feel for the last 3rd of the lap.

The next lap was an 8min 25 seconds from bridge to gantry, again I wasn’t pushing too hard and had plenty of traffic and yellow flags to contend with.

This went on for a few runs, with me doing the odd bodge in between on the clutch cable. I noticed one of my water pipes near the turbo started to melt so I wrapped that in some heat shield cloth after re-terminating it. I need to do a full heat shield job around the turbo area now; its producing so much heat now the boost is being held its risking melting the bodywork!

I took MikeR for a run then and my clutch bodge failed completely after the first series of corners so I did a lap without a clutch. Even so mike seemed pretty impressed with the improvements to the car I have made since he last had a run around snetterton last year. On returning I made a much more permanent job of the clutch cable, it was also starting to show signs of overheating so I went to the restaurant and stole some bacofoil from the kitchen, came back to the car and wrapped the clutch cable with that. It worked a treat, amazing what you do with a bit of imagination.

The next lap I strapped Richard askew in the car, he had been bugging me all day for a run but I had always promised someone else. I felt quite confident in where the road went now over the fast blind crests and corners so was starting to push the car a little harder. I was having a pretty fast run, keeping it flat over the fast crests and taking the corners with a pretty good level of commitment. My lines were no where near spot on but still going pretty quickly for a newcomer to the ring, which I am in no illusions about!

This is when I made a big mistake, I got 2 corners wrong in my mind, I thought I was approaching Breidsheid when I was actually approaching Wehrseifen. The entry to the two corners looks similar only Wehseifen is about 30MPH slower on entry and has a very tight exit, not for me it didn’t!! So I come barrelling in there too fast, I had also just passed a bike and car round the outside so I was out quite wide when I realised my mistake. Holy ****, this could hurt!! I had 2 choices, either try make the entry line, which would probably spin me off into the exit Armco or try and straight line the curb and use the curb and then exit tarmac to slow me. I took the later which was a bit hairy but didn’t really cause any problems, just scared the hell out of Richard who could see the barriers approaching not knowing what I was thinking or doing.

Anyway, that wasn’t scary for me as I was thinking my way out of the problem, I made a mental note that I have a lot to learn still so keep something in reserve but I still then pushed on at a fair pace, the car felt fantastic. I passed more Porsche’s etc than I can remember, most fun was the blue 911 with the huge wings, I took that round the outside on the entry into the big spectator area at brunnchen, that made me giggle to myself. I got held up a few times but was having a very quick lap, I completely forgot Richard was in the car. I always switch off once on track anything that isn’t of importance to driving; the passenger is one of those things.

Coming down the main straight at the finish Richard showed me the stopwatch; it showed 7 min 56 seconds. I though I was going pretty quickly but not that quick! I had an onboard video running for the whole lap so I could verify it later but I thought maybe it was possible so I showed a few friends the time, like you do. Looking at the tape later the lap was an 8min 20 which is no where near how quick I could do a lap I believe. I had forgotten about being held up badly at the start of the lap. When I watched the video I lost a good 15 seconds just in the first few corners due to traffic. I am certain now that on a clear lap with no passenger, even with my level of knowledge of the circuit a high 7 minute lap is more than achievable.

Richard exited my car very unsteadily, he hadn’t said a word the whole lap so even after my near miss I was still giving it full throttle, god knows what he was thinking during the rest of the lap. It took him a good hour to look OK again, I think I scared him quite badly!

The rest of the day carried on as usual; Stef and I did a great run in convoy for the CossieKiller2 video, this time he was holding me up! I have to say following Stef is bloody brilliant fun, to see an Impreza going that quick just a few feet in front of me is just unreal, the footage is awesome from both cars.

I then got to give some of the regular ringers a run as passengers in my car, mainly as a big thankyou to mike and Lauren’s for the help they gave me last October when dealing with the police over the incident with my oil pipe failure. It was great to meet those guys again and be able to say thankyou in person. I look forward to seeing them on my next trips over, really top people.

So that was that for the day, I never got a clear lap once but I had some pretty quick laps non the less, 8 min 30’s are real easy, next time I expect to be doing my first 7 minute laps. I’ll come with harder rear tyres though, now I have such good power they are going off by the carousel. I started the day with brand new rears; they are now below 1mm.

The night was fun down the bar; I allowed myself a drink or 3 this time as the forecast was for snow on Saturday night. We spent some time watching the videos from Stef and Myself and it was pretty amazing stuff to watch. When I am driving it doesn’t seem quite so quick. It was great to see all the ringers in the bar watch my cars acceleration with open mouths, it really is like a superbike on 4 wheels. It was fun when they all started to cheer when I passed the blue Porsche round the outside, quite embarrassing actually.

Watching Stefs onboard footage of our lap together was a lot of fun too, that thing is so nailed on the corner exits, it’s very impressive. Cossiekiller2 will be quite a tape!

The night ended with us fighting our way back up to the hotel through 6” of snow and Stef and I taking the **** out of Rainbirds rocket with some snow graffiti.

<B>Day4 Sunday 15th</B>

Snowed off!!!! Bummer!!!

Never mind, we all headed off to a local restaurant to watch the GP on a big screen TV. I thought the coverage was amazing. It was the new digital F1 TV that the Germans have access to and it made the race for me. ITV sucks *** compared to that, even in German!!!! Great to see ralfy get his first win, along with Williams, BMW and Michelin, they stuffed everyone big style. Montoya put in yet another awesome move, this time on truli. This season is looking great!

Rest of the day we just hung out. I swapped my pads back to the road spec pads; I was running on some IndyCar Hawk carbon metalics on track that have a great bite to them but are deadly on a public road when cold.

We all went for a meal together with some of the Belgium Scooby mates in the evening; it was nice to see Theo again although I didn’t get to say hi for too long. Then it was back to the bar again for yet another session. Stef doing his Saturday night fever impressions was hilarious. Listening to him ordering a Vodka and Red Buuuuuuull was fun, every time it was a case of I don’t want that red vodka, its only 15% you know, give me the proper vodka with my red Buuuuull. I think he fancied Claudia a bit too, not sure she fancied someone known as Collie Kisser though! LOL

<B>Day5 Monday 16th</B>

It was a case of convoy to Calais, we set off at 11am and just cruised our way at a sedate(ish) pace down through Germany, Belgium and France. We went through some serious rainstorms. It was quite frightening at times driving on my virtual slicks in the standing water, I had to be so careful with the throttle in that as the rears just lit up if I was too quick on putting the power on. We still set a cracking pace, stopping at the odd fuel station to fill up and do the odd doughnut! *cough*

Just outside the hoverport in Calais my front mudguard bracket sheered off! I suppose they aren’t really designed for the forces 155MPH can put on them, I am amazed they lasted so long! Half a roll of tank tape later I headed into the hoverport. We were delayed over an hour due to rough seas. I am glad we went by seacat and not ferry is all I can say.
We then had a 40 minute sail to Dover which wasn’t too rough, everyone looked exhausted though, I cant think why? I was the last car off the seacat. Typical, I had the longest drive ahead of me of the whole group! I had to time my exit with the rocking of the boat so I didn’t remove my sump as the ramp was going up and down like crazy, I got it off with no problems thankfully.

We then just cruised up the motorway to Daventry, I had a quick coffee then headed off back to Manchester, watching my front mudguard wobble away, tank tape doing a Stirling job of holding it in place at some silly speeds.

I arrived home at around 1am, totally frozen and totally exhausted. What a fantastic trip. I can’t wait for the next one.
Thanks to everyone who came along, every single one was a huge laugh and were into the whole trip. I hope you all come on the next trip because it was great fun for me.

The westie performed superbly, only problem was the clutch cable, which I managed to work around, plus the mudguard bracket failing under the strain of all the high speed runs. I need a new windscreen too. It has 2 huge cracks in it now, one from the stone off the 22B and one from the strain put on it from the softtop at 130MPH trying to pull the screen out of the bodywork, instant crack!! I may fit an aero screen and add some more top speed acceleration to the beast, as the drag is very high from an upright screen. That should make it a quick car. LOL

pictures are at
Old 18 April 2001, 10:02 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll summarise John's trip for those who don't want to read all of the classic post
Old 18 April 2001, 10:02 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

**** you want me to read all that
Old 18 April 2001, 10:09 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Read, what a tale !!! I want to come along next time !!!

Skip.
Old 18 April 2001, 10:16 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

and the worrying thing is that John's post only tells half the story

Nice one JF

Chris
Old 18 April 2001, 10:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

christ, how many words was that
Old 18 April 2001, 10:37 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Bloody ell John you were lapping the ring quick.

Just briefly read the Novel, taking it to the pub to read.

Glad all went well.

See you at Cadwell ?

Matt
Old 18 April 2001, 10:58 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brilliant!!
I'll have to go!!
Old 18 April 2001, 11:12 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

yep, i will be at Cadwell, cant wait to try it out round there, it should be pretty quick.
Old 18 April 2001, 11:14 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Top novel John,

And to think I had your string pouch (ooo errr) in the boot of my car since the last trip, I now have a socket on the famous Westie

And what about those guys and girls from the Westie factory? I'm sure they saw your car and decided to go home, reckon that immobiliser was all a smokescreen

Can't wait for the next trip, might even have a gearbox by then
Old 18 April 2001, 11:31 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Red face

Now, John, you said you couldn't remember Thursday night...does this help

John get's comfy...

John get's abusive... Rich ignores him, and so does Floyd....

John Find WOMAN...Faye sorts out John for not the first or last time that evening...

I did warn you John
Old 18 April 2001, 11:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

I'll get you back Tim. LOL

Old 19 April 2001, 12:35 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is the best Novel by far John! Me and my TDI sure showed the rest of you lot how it was done LOL

Roll on 3 weeks and im back

Old 19 April 2001, 02:08 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

***** me drunk John!!!!!!

That was phucking phantastic and much better than I anticipated......and well worth the wait

Cheers.

PS Sorry phor the phoul language but that novel was brilliant.
Old 19 April 2001, 03:08 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

John you forgot your comment to me in the RS200 coming onto the main straight..

"F***ing Hell this things and animal"

Seems it's not so much of an animal as a certain party animal is

Richard
Old 19 April 2001, 08:24 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Top Novel John - thanks for "taking us there".

Matt
Old 19 April 2001, 08:32 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Damn damn damn damn damn

I <B>MUST</B> be there next year.
Great writing John.

When's the video coming out?

/J
Old 19 April 2001, 08:37 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

A good read John, ever thought of tuning your car for reliability rather than performance though?
Old 19 April 2001, 09:46 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

John,

Fantastic mate! Reading that has just made my morning cup of coffee bearable!! I was in a similar boat to you on Thursday night. Get a little the worse for wear, and woke up on Friday with my clothes neatly folded and tucked up in bed!! Have no idea how that happened!

The trip was an absolute blinder, and lets hope that there are more to come.

To all those who had a ride in the car, it was a pleasure, and you're welcome anytime. 4 up around the Ring seems to be the norm for me! If there are a number of people that want to go in June/July but need a lift out there, then I'll take the car rather than the bike. I'd probably put in quicker laps in the car anyway!

Cheers

Matt
Old 19 April 2001, 10:49 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

good post john,

the whole trip was ace.

AS said there are so many more peoples laps and points of view to add to that its mad. The length of that story and it still only covers ONE persons trip. It doesnt mention the 911 carrera that wiped out right infront of me at the 2nd corner at brunschen and so on and on...

4 up in mikes cossie... what a laugh and on

great trip!

rw
Old 19 April 2001, 12:18 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear
Old 19 April 2001, 12:26 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm gonna have to read this novel off-line John.... I like the precise smiley version though.

Old 19 April 2001, 12:50 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
John, great story, M8. LOL

But I have to say a pi55 poor novel. We already know who-dun-it, there's no sex, and it even has a happy ending! It just won't do, y'know.

But it's a great promotion for Westfield's reliablity... and comfort, and...

Still no sex!?!

Richard.

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 19 April 2001).]
Old 19 April 2001, 12:59 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

Hi John!

Top story. Wish I could have gone.

My clutch cable broke over the easter weekend also!?! (I also bodged it with some tape and another type of cluch cable modified to fit. All fixed now with parts which arrived the next day from Caterham - impressive!. Hope to catch u at Cadwell !

Paul F.

BTW, now a member of SIDC.
Old 19 April 2001, 01:27 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one JF.

I am definitely coming on the next one, Please say that it will be this year?

Mike.
Old 19 April 2001, 01:42 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike,

The next big trip is due over the weekend of June 30th / July 1st. You are more than welcome to come and join us. We'll probably leave on the Friday and come back on the Sunday. More info to follow nearer the time.

Matt
Old 19 April 2001, 01:45 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

harj or anyone else thats going to the nurburg ring within the next 12 months

I have my ticket left over. it has 7 laps left on it and thats 100% guaranteed. The price is 7 pounds per lap if u buy the 12 lap ticket. So that makes it £49 for my ticket. So if anyone would like to buy it, as i wont be going back as im off to aussie for a year. Please mail me at

tfyus@hotmail.com

it would help me save up to go away as every penny counts at the moment!

ps if the ticket dont work for any reason tho im guaranteed it will, ill refund it immediatly.

Just due to snow on sunday i didnt get all my laps done sob sob.

CHEEERs

Steven RW
Rsowner

[This message has been edited by TFyus (edited 19 April 2001).]
Old 19 April 2001, 02:54 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve im sure someone will take your ticket off you, im getting my season pass in June and ive still got 6 or so laps left thanks to the old man

Already got over 20 people who wanna come to the June one which should be even bigger and better

Old 19 April 2001, 03:24 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Nice one John, well summed up. You've captured the whole weekend marvellously.
One of the highlights for me was definitely the great lap we did together, the footage kicks butt! CK1's flames rock!
It was a pity about the timing error on your flying lap, you were soooooooo excited when you thought you'd nearly equalled the record set by the R500 Superlite! I'm sure if you watch the lap again though you'll find it's actually 8min 24secs, but the times aren't important are they mate? Still, look on the bright side, you're only 7secs behind CK1 now!!!
I've put links to a couple of mpeg video's of CK1 on another thread. The footage from John's car is in NTSC and will be converted asap. 'Cossiekiller & Friends 2' is really going to be something special.

Stef.
Old 19 April 2001, 03:39 PM
Basil
Scooby Regular

Ya know, I was jealous before, but now I'm REALLY jealous. Great write up, John, hope you see your way to posting it on our I-Club board..

Basil

Quick Reply: Easter at the Nurburgring - the Novel :-)