Notices

Strange overheating MY99

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2009, 09:49 AM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange overheating MY99

This morning my Impreza water temp went excessively high. I noticed it just as i pulled up to the gates at work.

I drove sensibly pretty much all the way to work it was only the last bit where i put my foot down through the gears 2nd - 4th. Boost didn't go above 1.8 bar,which is what its currently mapped for. There where no knocks,bangs or smoke but the water temp (standard gauge) was almost at its top mark also the oil temp had raised up to 100 deg where normally it would sit around 85-90 deg.

I checked the levels,oil was fine water needed topping up which i did, the oil is clean, so it dosen't look as though any water has mixed with it.

There don't seem to be any leaks as once i'd topped it up and left it running the ground underneath was dry. The heater still blows through hot air.

The more i write this i'm thinking it's just where the coolent level was low, but i'm still paranoid as i've spend a lot of money on the car recently.

Anyway once it was topped up i left it running to see if it would get hot again, which it hasn't. It did take about 1 litre of water.

Any thoughts ?
Old 04 November 2009, 10:00 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Ok so when did you check your coolant last? If it was low and you only checked it at the weekend I'd say you have a problem, if you have never checked then I'd keep an eye on it see what happens. Usually heaters not getting hot is a first sign of low coolant. Hard to say what it is until you know a bit more yourself, did the cooling fan cut in?
Old 04 November 2009, 10:16 AM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Cooling fan did cut in yes, tbh it has been a few weeks since i checked the coolant. The heater has stayed toastie through out. It just seems strange that whilst driving to work at normal motorway speeds it was fine but the second i put my foot down the temp went up. I suppose your right, best to keep an eye on it for a few days.

Thanks
Old 04 November 2009, 10:40 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Something doesn't quite add up here. You say you've spent a lot of money on this car recently, and checked the coolant a few weeks ago, and yet it took a litre of water to fill it up? That's probably more than the capacity of the header tank.

Under normal circumstances your car shouldn't lose any , let alone a litre of it over "a few weeks". This could imply that it wasn't properly filled originally (if so, whoever's responsible needs a good b*ll*cking) but if this is true why has it taken this long for the car to act up?

If you're sure the system was properly filled a few weeks back, you need to keep a very close eye, as there must be a problem to have lost that much in such a short space of time.

Also don't forget that if you did put plain water into it, you'll have diluted the coolant concentration, something to remember if and when there's a next time to top up.
Old 04 November 2009, 12:06 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Something doesn't quite add up here. You say you've spent a lot of money on this car recently, and checked the coolant a few weeks ago, and yet it took a litre of water to fill it up? That's probably more than the capacity of the header tank.

Under normal circumstances your car shouldn't lose any , let alone a litre of it over "a few weeks". This could imply that it wasn't properly filled originally (if so, whoever's responsible needs a good b*ll*cking) but if this is true why has it taken this long for the car to act up?

If you're sure the system was properly filled a few weeks back, you need to keep a very close eye, as there must be a problem to have lost that much in such a short space of time.

Also don't forget that if you did put plain water into it, you'll have diluted the coolant concentration, something to remember if and when there's a next time to top up.

I was told to keep an eye on the water and oil levels from day one. I have been doing this but as the water level didn't seem to move,i began to keep checks on that less. The oil level gets checked before every use.

I'm kicking myself now for not doing more regular checks on the water as it would put my mind at rest more now. I would say it was a month ago that i checked the level last.

I haven't had any problems with it before, and its been running this way for at least months now,so i have no doubt that it was filled correctly to start with.

As i say its strange that it has lost that amount without any trace of where its gone, also i wouldn't have expected it to get so hot after looseing that amount.

All i can do now is keep a closer eye on it and not to let it get that low again
Old 04 November 2009, 12:18 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

If you keep a close eye, carry some coolant with you, fill the bottle to exactly the top of the bottle as you'll be able to monitor more accuratly. If you are definatly sure there are no leaks, check all pipes are full, could possibly be something like a dodgy cap on the bottle

Best to get it checked tho as it's very hard to diagnose a problem in this manner