Aquamist/Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2009, 06:19 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aquamist/Water/Meth Injection

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me about the above please? I understand that it's used to cool the charge, but at the same time can when mixed with meth help create a lot more power? Is this right?

Thanks for your advice !

ScoobyDoo69
Old 27 June 2009, 07:21 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it can be mapped to work with your ecu or it can work off a pressure switch, I use one in the rally car and it drops the intake temp right down. I don't use anything more than water myself. What are you trying to achive, do you have intake temp problems?
Old 28 June 2009, 01:57 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

No intake problems as such. It's just that over in the USA they all seem to use it for decent power gains, along with what I imagine to be increased reliability due to the massively reduced intake temperatures?

Again that mixed with meth makes further power increases, which on a small turbo with the TMIC would make great power with great response!
Old 28 June 2009, 02:57 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

I use it on mine with hybrid turbo, I do notice a difference when the injection isn't working for whatever reason (usually swalf causing the solenoid to stick). I have 50/50 mix of water and fuel additive, I've also got FMIC, auto water spray and heat sheilds on the IC pipework in really hot engine bay places all to aid cooling. Not sure what my charge temp is but I know its reasonable even before the water injection point....

PS I dont use the std set of jets, was recommended by mapper to use smaller item so not to flood the engine with it.
Old 28 June 2009, 06:12 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Have used it before, not on the Scoob. The water part is good for cooling and the Methanol is like using higher octane fuel (put very simply). Ideally you need an ECU that carries 2 maps one with and one without the WI. If you are thinking of the ERL system I highly recommend using the DDS3 to go with it. This way you can monitor the water flow and set a high parameter (for if a hose pops off or leaks) and a low parameter (should a blockage occur).

Once the system reaches the pre set boost that starts the WI the system will check that the flow is between these parameters and then send a signal to the ECU so it switches to the more advanced map, obviously if it drops out of the range it goes back the the non WI map.
You need to find a water tank, not ally as the methanol will corrode it and you need to find 100% methanol, I used to get mine form a model shop (about £5 a gallon).

I personally found it a great set up, didnt need such a big intercooler so less lag and found that even on the hottest of days the car was running like it did on a cold winters day! Took alot of setting up but was worth it in the end.
Old 29 June 2009, 01:14 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

How does the water get burnt in the combustion out of interest? I'd have thought that it may reduce the spark or something??
Old 29 June 2009, 02:49 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

The water needs to be in such a fine mist that it is completely dissipated in the air going into the engine, you do not want damp air going in there!

The jet size is very small, I was using a 0.4mm jet, but the pressure is very high, thats why the ERL pumps are really good (as long as they dont run out of water). The combination of the 2 should mean that there is no 'wet air' entering the engine just cooled air.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:13 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Interesting. How much does a decent kit normally cost installed? I've really noticed a drop in performance in this heat, I'm just thinking imagine the benefit right about now!
Old 29 June 2009, 09:49 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

I use the same jet, the others are to big and spirt loads of water in...

Yup, it sure does help in this type of weather, I'm sure alot of turbo owners out there with top or front notice the difference. Even with WI though, you'd still notice a smaller drop as nowt better than cool, rich oxygen air before you even start. Det, nada with my setup...
Old 30 June 2009, 07:19 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Its not cheap, about £500 for the WI kit, then another £100 for the monitor, plus mappinbg on top of that.
Old 30 June 2009, 08:03 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

That's not too bad though really. Is it something that can be fit yourself, or is it a must that it is professionally fitted? Obviously you can leave it off whilst running around without a map though right?
Old 04 July 2009, 04:31 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I've got the ERL system - was about £1k mapped and fully fitted with all the bits, which is high..........
I use 50/50 Methonal/water...... I have an Ally tank and in the 6 years or so I've had it, it has not yet corroded
Fine mist spray - lasts for ever - you could so many miles and many, many track days and you'll not use up much water/methanol

Adds about 3 degrees ignition advance on my Set up

I also use 10% methonal mix in my fuel and half a bottle (carefully measured) of NF but dont really need to use this much.........

I dont actually think the water injection system is worth it in terms of the upfront cost - you are better off remapping first with methanol in the tank as that gives much, much bigger gains and has a cooling effect in its own right
Old 04 July 2009, 06:31 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

First time I fitted one it felt like a nightmare, seemed like hundreds of wires, took me a full day to install it. After that it was much easier and fitted subsequent kits in half the time.

I definately would not use an ally tank, I helped a chap in Dubai fit WI to his Fiat Coupe, he had been using an ally tank and as soon as he started using methanol the inside started to corrode. Much easier to use an old screen wash reservoir anyway.

Try and speak to Richard Lamb at ERL as he was working on a Subaru specific system that was basically a tray that everything bolted to making it a really neat install.