Newbie help please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2009, 04:37 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help please!!!!!

Hello guy's.

I have just dipped my toe in to my first impeza turbo ownership, took it in p/x, it is a 1995 wrx sportwagon, few problem's already!!! The is water leaking from the right hand side where you fill the plastic expansion tank, I can't see a crack & it doesn't leak all the time, when it doe's it's quite a heavy drip, the metal tank is alway's full though? When I come to a stop sometime's it has white smoke coming from the bonnet scoop, is this intercooler, it doe's not happen all the time? Plus it doesn't really read the tempature, I can't get the fan's to kick in even leaving it idling after a run it barely crawl's of the bottom, guessing thermostat? I am not a mechanic so bear with me in replying to you, I love the car but am worrying myself that I have bought a seriously duff one!!!

Hope this forum is as good as some of the other's have joined, thank's in advance!!!

Cheer's!!!
Old 08 June 2009, 05:05 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

ok from what i make out is your radiator got plastic ends either side? as these have a tendancy to expand/leak under load so im assuming thats your water/coolant leak and also it may be your thermostat but the fans on my radiator dont kick in when idling either only when really hot this is not great but im running a mix match of newgae and classic lol but my temp gauge is fine if mine wasint working right i would not be happy as its pretty important eh especially when your losing water!
Old 08 June 2009, 05:44 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

I had something similar on my classic, new rad and thermostat solved mine.. I think i got my radiator from Ebay, everything was ok after that, if it was like mine you will prob find that the smoke is steam when the leaking water hits the hot engine.
Old 08 June 2009, 09:17 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i woule deff try the above first more than likely thats the problem
Old 09 June 2009, 06:26 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

It has a new radiator last year but will double check it, another quick one, on the dipstick for the oil what is the min/max level, there is a twisty bit on mine & two little hole's, which is which???

Cheer's.
Old 09 June 2009, 07:45 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

If the dipstick is the same as my MY99 then the bottom hole is the min the top is the max on a 'cold' engine. Just below the top hole is where I keep mine. If you see a notch a little further up this is the level the oil will be at on a warm engine, don't fill up to this point!
Old 09 June 2009, 09:44 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
If the dipstick is the same as my MY99 then the bottom hole is the min the top is the max on a 'cold' engine. Just below the top hole is where I keep mine. If you see a notch a little further up this is the level the oil will be at on a warm engine, don't fill up to this point!
Cheer's, will check the oil level when it is cold tomorrow!!!

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2009, 10:42 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is of any help to you gra2730 but thought I'd mention it. When I got my Impreza initially it had white "ish" smoke coming from the front scoop when I was in traffic. On closer inspection I found that the power steering pump was leaking some fluid everytime I drove it and this was sitting on the engine block, heating up and smoking. So you might want to check the power steering pump just incase it's not related to the other problem.
Old 09 June 2009, 10:52 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GMballistic
Not sure if this is of any help to you gra2730 but thought I'd mention it. When I got my Impreza initially it had white "ish" smoke coming from the front scoop when I was in traffic. On closer inspection I found that the power steering pump was leaking some fluid everytime I drove it and this was sitting on the engine block, heating up and smoking. So you might want to check the power steering pump just incase it's not related to the other problem.

Cheer's, will do.
Old 10 June 2009, 09:45 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

hi i had this problem and it was the powersterring pump leaking as someone else mentioned the water bottles actually have there own expansion inside the wing is it this that is leaking and does sound like a thermostat but if the heaters arnt blowing cold mixed withe the other symtoms could be a headgasket check your oil cap for slimey whiteness and your water level as well as oil condition hope this helps

and keep keen
Old 10 June 2009, 09:52 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

Hello.

It seem's the expansion tank has been leaking slightly when the garage looked at it, very random though, heater blow's hot & when I had the top of off the metal water tank there was no bubble's, oil look's fairly clean, tempature now rise's up to about a quarter on the guage then the fan's kick in??? As for the smoke out of the intercooler bonnet scoop I need to check for a power steering leak.

Many thank's for info, it's much appreciated as I love the car!!!
Old 10 June 2009, 09:55 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

the steering pumps tend to leak underneath throught the bolts if you look over it from the coolant bottle you should see it it only needs to be a tiny drip though the best way if its hard to see is to leave a white sheet under the engine bay for the night
Old 10 June 2009, 09:57 PM
gra2730
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njberrie
the steering pumps tend to leak underneath throught the bolts if you look over it from the coolant bottle you should see it it only needs to be a tiny drip though the best way if its hard to see is to leave a white sheet under the engine bay for the night