Notices

engine warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 09:14 AM
jameswood
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine warning light

Hello, I am new to scoobynet. I picked up my new impreza two days ago, it is a wrx sti ppp and has done 56000 miles. On the way to work this morning i changed down gear from 5th to 4th to overtake, accelerated and as i did there was a sudden dip in power which lasted less than half a second, and then the engine warning light came on. The car is driving normally now and if it was not for the warning light, i would be none the wiser if there was a problem. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? Any contributions welcome!
Old 01 February 2008, 09:26 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

see my post, ive got the same problem.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ml#post7615948

SetoN
Old 01 February 2008, 01:17 PM
jameswood
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the link. I have had the car two days so it is still under the waranty from the garage. Will see what happens when i approach them tomorrow.
Old 01 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The garage will plug in their select monitor and look for the error code stored on the ECU, they can also look at historic codes...

My guess would be a camshaft position sensor error which are quite common on the earlier newages, particularly if you have bounced off the rev limiter.

Might also be a spurious neutral position switch error.

This isn't a terminal error and the ECU doesn't go into limp home mode and it might dissapear after a number of engine starts (5).

HTH

Shaun
Old 01 February 2008, 05:40 PM
jameswood
Scooby Newbie

thanks Shaun, the warning has now disappeared after about 5 engine restarts. Is this likely to keep on occuring or is it a very intermittant problem?
Old 01 February 2008, 11:14 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James

I'd book the car into the dealer you bought it from ASAP and get it checked out. Tell them the car went pants and the CEL came on and ask why it should happen.

The early newage Scooby's were simply a random Generator for spurious CEL's but by 2003 the Denso ECU's were much more stable !

Ask for the OBD II code which should have been stored as an historic code by your faithful ECU and let us know.

The MAF on your car is pretty robust but the Lambda sensor might be giving up the ghost ..

Keep us posted

Shaun
Old 02 February 2008, 12:44 PM
jameswood
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, will be popping over to them in a mo. I will let you know the OBD code. Hopefully if there is a problem with the lambda sensor they will replace it. If not, is it expensive to replace (if that is the problem)? Thanks for your help Shaun.
Old 06 February 2008, 09:30 PM
jameswood
Scooby Newbie

I took it in today and the obd showed waste gate problem, misfire on one of the cylinders and cellonoid problem. The system was smoke tested and no leaks where found in the system and the waste gate appeared to be functioning normally. The engine doesnt appear to be misfiring at all whilst driving. Going to change cellonoid, leads and spark plugs to see if that helps. Do you think that this sounds like random codes being generated by the ecu? All being done under warranty so no cost apart from time, but i would not like to miss something serious if i was simply ignoring the cel