Notices

not starting, Idle control valve?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2007, 06:25 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not starting, Idle control valve?

I have a 94 WRX which won start,just keeps turning over.
If I unplug the Idle control valve and turn the valve manually it sparks and starts but stalls after a second.

Does this mean that the Idle control valve is at fault,or would it be something else causing this prob.

Got faults on the check engine light coming up for fault with MAF and fault with Idle Air Control Sensor.

If I unplug the MAF it still wont start.
Old 27 October 2007, 08:06 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure it's not something simple like a disconnected vacuum hose? Even the smallest opening in the pipe that runs into the idle valve will stop it from running in my experience. Try blasting the valve through with carb cleaner.
Old 29 October 2007, 12:55 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help,will try checking that later.
when the ignition is on is it normal for the ICV to be making a whining noise?
Old 30 October 2007, 09:33 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

The IACV is activated with the ignition. You should notice if you leave the ignition turned on, but not the engine started, after a while the top of the IACV gets hot. It shouldn't be whining loudly, although perhaps if you put your ear very close you might notice something. If it's noticeably whining there's probalby somehting wrong in the top part (the electromagnet)
Old 01 November 2007, 11:40 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

last night got the IACV unit and sensor replaced, also replaced the MAF.
Still wont start.

We took off a fuel hose coming out of the fuel filter(the hose that attaches to the throttle body), when turning the ignition on and trying to start,only a few spurts would come out, Is this normal? or should it flow quite a bit?
Old 02 November 2007, 07:12 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Right, first things first: I don't know of any hose that attaches the TB to the fuel filter. And if there was one it would definitely NOT have any form of liquid fuel in it. A fuel hose that is meant to have fuel in it will be spraying around everywhere like a fireman's hose if the fuel pump's on and it's not hooked up properly. No other pipes should have fuel in them at all. So your 'few spurts' indicate to me that either something's wrong with your fuel system or you've got fuel where it shouldn't be, perhaps a mis-connected fuel/vacuum line?
Old 03 November 2007, 12:21 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I dont think its the TB then, sorry im not very techincal and get a bit confused as to what engine parts are called, it was just a hose coming from the fuel filter and going to the engine,where its always been. Going by you've said that petrol should be spraying out a lot then I think it will be a faulty fuel pump.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:24 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Also there is no noise coming from the fuel pump when turning ignition on or when trying to turn car on.
Old 04 November 2007, 09:37 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well the fuel filter's connections will look like they're going to the 'engine' - the nearest side of the inlet manifold is where their pipes are connected. Depending on which hose you undid there might be different fuel flows, e.g. if you undid the fuel return pipe from the regulator. In fact this might be worth checking i.e. which fuel pipe has the lazy flow. Could be something like a knackered regulator or a blocked fuel filter. Good thing is fuel problems are quite easy to track down as the system is fairly straightforward.

As mentioned above you should hear a hum from the fuel pump in the rear when you turn the ignition on.