Notices

Failed Jump Start this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 12:06 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully not too off topic, hoping for a quick win!

Went to jump my bro's Cavalier just now, seated all the connections, he turned his key to the first point, and his dash lit up as normal, turned the key again to actually start the car, and apparently the earth terminal on his battery sparked and popped, and now the whole thing has gone dead. Obviously (?) we've blown summat, any ideas what. All the fuses including under the bonnet seem intact, don't know about the relays though, and neither of us know where to look.

TIA
Old 27 December 2003, 12:19 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you had a dodgy connection on the earth terminal of the cav, enough to light up the dash but not enough to pass starter current hence the sparks. Reseat the earth connection on some big bit of metal on the engine, engine mount, bellhousing flange or whatever and try again.
Old 27 December 2003, 12:37 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed thanks for the reply

I did try again, after reseating all the connections, although admittedly still on the battery terminals. Nothing came up at all, so I stopped incase I'd damaged something, bruv was a bit stressed anyhow (I'm many years younger so he still treats me like I'm 10 - lol).

Presumably it is possible I've blown something, any ideas what. I thought i would let him calm a bit, see if anyone could suggest something, then pop back again.

Adam
Old 27 December 2003, 12:49 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

There are some main fuses for the ignition, they are not normally located with the other fuses. These normally blow when there is a short when starting the car due to the current.

Rob
Old 27 December 2003, 12:54 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Rob

I located the fusebox in the engine compartment, three fuses and three relays (The 'big' fusebox is under the steering wheel). Fuses were all OK but i didn't know what i was supposed to look for on the relays.

Adam
Old 27 December 2003, 12:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Try connecting the earth connector on the Jump lead to the engine block (somewhere metal of course ) - You should do that or connect the chassis anyway as it by passes any possible problems with the earthing on the car. If that works then you have an earth problem somewhere.

Old 27 December 2003, 01:11 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ali.

Okay gonna pop back to see him, he's just phoned me, and has calmed down nicely!!! (thats Vauxhall driving Tottenham Supporters for you)
Old 27 December 2003, 03:51 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If both +/- battery leads and battery all OK now, Check the electrical CONNECTION between starter motor and SOLENOID. These have been known to do just as you describe when starter motors fail internally. Could simply be a starter motor swap will do the trick. Plenty of Vauxhalls in local breakers here in the sticks - starters 15 quid guaranteed - remove 'em yourself. Dont know about Norf Lunnon breakers though .... all foreigners up there now .... cars I mean ... .... I dunno tho...

Last time I visited White Hart Lane it cost me 3/6d (17.5 pence) to stand behind the goal and I could park alongside the ground back then and legally do 100 mph on the nearby Norf Circlar going home to Chingford......... happy days ....... gorn forever I fear .... Herr Klinnsman the man who spurred us on! .... Now need another like he I suspect ... Good luck ...let us know how you get on.
Old 27 December 2003, 04:13 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

It started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As posted earlier must have been a naff earth connection, took several goes, tried earthing all over the shop, finally put it all back on the battery terminals and the ****** went first time.

Brothers happy now, even invited me and mine over for drinks tonite. Not a Spurs fan myself, so I would find their current plight most amusing if it wasn't for the fact i follow Leeds!!

Cheers again guys, and Happy New Year.
Old 28 December 2003, 01:54 AM
TORBOTITS
Scooby Newbie

Try the earth below the battery that goes from the chasis to the gearbox. If you turn the wheels to left hand lock then look under the n/s wheelarch you'll see it under there. very common problem on all vauxhalls