Notices

loss of brakes

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 03:02 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other day I was out driving and i thought that my brakes were requiring a bit more pressure than usual. I put this down to the fact that i thought i needed a new set of pads. The problem has got progressivley worse,so today i thought i would investigate.

Pads were fine front and rear not even half worn. I have checked all pipework for any signs of leaking and checked the level of the fluid which was just under the max mark. I think this to be expected but to pads being half worn.

However the problem is getting worse. If i pump the pedal with the engine off the pedal gets hard. If i push te pedal when starting the engine the pedal falls away slighty which i am told is correct

However the pedal is really soft. If i push i can make the pedal hit the floor. But if i press and let go and then press again straight away the pedal is back to its usual self and the car brakes fine.

The other night i was coming to a roundabiut and i had to release the pedal and re apply.

It sounds like it could be air in the system but i dont understand how this may have happend or it culd be a faulty master cylinder I suppose. Oh yeah car isa 98stiV4 with ABS
Old 24 December 2003, 10:53 AM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

When the car is running and you put your foot on the pedal does it creep to the floor? If so could be a leaking Brake Master Cylinder.

Ha
Old 24 December 2003, 11:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree it sounds like master cylinder to me too..

Get it sorted..

JGM

Old 28 December 2003, 02:08 AM
TORBOTITS
Scooby Newbie

The pedal will go down slightly when starting thats the servo and quite normal. How low was the fluid? If its got to low it could have let some air into the system.I'd try changing the fluid totally and re-bleeding the system as brke fluid does go off and its recommanded its changed every 3 years anyway.
Old 28 December 2003, 09:27 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Sounds like one of your MC seals may have gone as said above, i would seriously get this sorted ASAP mate.
I know you prob dont need telling but it very dangerous to drive with faulty brakes, am sure i dont need to write what could happen

Rob
Old 28 December 2003, 10:04 AM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right

I have bled the entire system and there was some air in the system. When i went back out it didnt feel much better to be honest, the pedal goes downs further than it did before all these probs started.

Then yesterday I thought i would go for a little drive and at low speed the abs is kicking in. I have no light on the dash to say that there is a fault with the abs.

Do you think the master cylinder is faulty or is there a prob with the abs. Can i get a repair kit for the MC or do i need to get a new master cylinder.

Cheers