Notices

Slow Gear Change through hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2003, 10:29 PM
spadds
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I'm not sure if this is my car, subaru's or typical of all turbo cars.

Through hard acceleration, up to rpm of say 6,500, car is super until rapid gear change where:

Depressing the clutch pedal, next gear is selected, and pedal released. If the gear change is executed with speed, and the clutch released, you beat the decrease of the rpm of the engine and expereince a lurch forward as clutch engages new gear, hence slowing the rpm artifically to meet the rpm of tranmission/gear selected.

I am finding that for fast/hard acceleration, I have to apply a " HGV" style slow gear change as I allow the rpm of the engine to lower sufficiently to stop the horrible lurching that can happen.

Is this a problem with the engine, or is it typical of the scoob - i.e. having to wait for turbo boost to lower, and rpm to lower???

I have never owned a turbo powered performance vehicle before, and apologies if this is typical engine behaviour! However, I desire speed now after driving a number of diesel powered sloaths for years!

If all sounds well, and typical of a scoob then that's fine, I just know to change gear slowly and gracefully, and not to worry too much when the tiptronic 911 catches me up :-0

Seems like i can fly through a gear to top rpm, and then loose pace for a couple of seconds through the next gear change for engine rpm to lower... seem a little odd me?

The car is a standard MY99 Wagon.

Thanks in advance

Spadds
Old 06 October 2003, 10:36 PM
spadds
Scooby Newbie

Just Seen Boro's post on OVERBOOST

Is this what is happening to my motor I wonder?

Any help would be excellent

Mucios gracious
Old 06 October 2003, 11:14 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

they all do that sir!
Old 07 October 2003, 01:47 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

You can get around this if you want.....but it'll gradually destroy your clutch. And makes your drivetrain make noises you wish it wouldn't.
Old 07 October 2003, 08:10 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me that the baulk rings between the synchro hub have "polished". I appreciate it does mean a removal of the gearbox to sort, but once they have been "cleaned", it should be ok again.
When I mean "cleaned", the drive surfaces have to be flatted with some "wet n dry" paper, sop they have a "matt" appearence, similar to the effect on an engine valve.
"they all do it" simply is not true. i'd normally hear that from a Dealer!
Old 07 October 2003, 10:07 AM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Well EVERY scoob i`ve been in does it. Hmmmm, maybe they`re ALL knackered?
Old 07 October 2003, 12:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Mine does it....by it I mean that I lose boost/power in the immediate aftermath of a gearchange.

The best way I have found to avoid it is to push the clutch pedal fractionally before coming off the throttle so the engine revs momentarily rise/peak (not to the rev. limiter though).

I find that gradually coming off the throttle before a gear change results in the scoob thinking I don't want to go fast anymore :-(

Vindaloo.
Old 25 August 2012, 09:12 PM
Seanharvey1983
Scooby Regular

Default My new p1

Not sure how to post to main thread on here as im new to this. Today after much consideration i went and bought myself a p1. Car looked great on arrival and after a inspection. Anyway on the m5 home i give some beans and the clutch pedal takes ages to come up after changing gear. why is this???? never had this with my sti verson 2 and 3. also on a hill i was pushing it and seemed momentarily flat and like no power there. Absolutely gutted as p asked for my money back but he has refused.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. In time i will have this p1 running good again .. hopefully.

sean
Old 25 August 2012, 09:22 PM
Seanharvey1983
Scooby Regular

If any1 has a p1 could they private message me please. I need your knowledge so i can sort my new 1 which i purchased today. thanks . any help appreciated.
problems...1. clutch slow coming back up when driving fast but ok slow round the town.
2. flat spot at 90 going up a hill ?
Old 25 August 2012, 09:46 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Bleed your clutch & make sure the spring is fitted to the clutch arm. Flat spot could be anything, any other symptoms?
Old 25 August 2012, 09:49 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Mine does it....by it I mean that I lose boost/power in the immediate aftermath of a gearchange.

The best way I have found to avoid it is to push the clutch pedal fractionally before coming off the throttle so the engine revs momentarily rise/peak (not to the rev. limiter though).

I find that gradually coming off the throttle before a gear change results in the scoob thinking I don't want to go fast anymore :-(

Vindaloo.
Thanks for the post mate I didn't know if I had an issue with the car or if it was my driving style as I experience the revs increasing momentarily under hard acceleration & quick gear change, now I realise it's my style.

Cheers Vindaloo!
Old 25 August 2012, 09:57 PM
Seanharvey1983
Scooby Regular

Default clutch and flat spot problem

I will get a mechanic to try that on tuesday as i dont have a clue how do blled a clutch . It had a rebuild and advanced automotive in bristol 2009 and so i was hoping car would be clean. once i got home everything electrical down also. all working now apart from gauges. should be driving it now : ( thanks for replying mate . the guy i got it from is refussing refund so ill set about sorting it.. gradually