Engine mounts adjustment - Upd: Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2022, 07:29 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb Engine mounts adjustment - Upd: Fixed

Guys,

I replaced the spark plugs recently and lifted up the engine, by removing 2 engine mount nuts (14mm) and lifting with a car jack.
I tightened those 2 nuts back when the car's front end was on the ramps and the engine was off. After that procedure I started noticing a single clunk nouse\thud (from the front end, right side - feel in my legs, JDM car) at the first second if I take off, start moving aggressively.
If I start slowly, there will be no thud. It comes only when I start sharp.

Check and tighter the suspension components - no change.

I am wondering was it ok that I tightened engine mount nuts when the front end was lifted? The car was not horizontal.
Should I tighten the nuts while the engine idling? Seemed like tightened nuts have the same locations as before.
Should I release the upper mount nuts as well?

Please advise how I should re-tighten the engine mounts. THANK YOU Guys.

Last edited by Hauntednsk; 02 October 2022 at 03:45 AM.
Old 29 September 2022, 09:03 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Ideally cheack the upper mount as it may have slipped slightly. it could be worth loosening all three mounts, just incase youve introduced tension to one if that makes sense, and tighten them again.

You really dont need to lift the engine to do spark plugs though. Done mine multiple times without doing so. The best thing to do is spend a little time experimenting with different length sockets and adaptors, theres even a subaru specific socket out there for spark plugs. Ive never needed it as i have a combination of sockets that work

The following users liked this post:
Old 29 September 2022, 12:08 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS789
Ideally cheack the upper mount as it may have slipped slightly. it could be worth loosening all three mounts, just incase youve introduced tension to one if that makes sense, and tighten them again.

You really dont need to lift the engine to do spark plugs though. Done mine multiple times without doing so. The best thing to do is spend a little time experimenting with different length sockets and adaptors, theres even a subaru specific socket out there for spark plugs. Ive never needed it as i have a combination of sockets that work
He was told
Old 29 September 2022, 12:11 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1509joe
He was told
From the sounds of it he needed it. lol
Old 30 September 2022, 05:44 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

You really don't need to lift the engine to do spark plugs though. Done mine multiple times without doing so. The best thing to do is spend a little time experimenting with different length sockets and adaptors, there's even a subaru specific socket out there for spark plugs. Ive never needed it as i have a combination of sockets that work
Going to make all the mounts loosen and re-tightened this weekend. Maybe the upper one needs to be tightened.
I know some people are able to replace the plugs by not lighting the engine, but as I know, Impreza has more space under the hood, but Forester SG5 has more space limitations.
I tried not to lift the engine and I have a number of extending adapters, but anyway it was not easy to get the spark plugs out. Once I lifted the engine, the process turned out to be so easy.
Old 30 September 2022, 06:20 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hauntednsk
Going to make all the mounts loosen and re-tightened this weekend. Maybe the upper one needs to be tightened.
I know some people are able to replace the plugs by not lighting the engine, but as I know, Impreza has more space under the hood, but Forester SG5 has more space limitations.
I tried not to lift the engine and I have a number of extending adapters, but anyway it was not easy to get the spark plugs out. Once I lifted the engine, the process turned out to be so easy.
Never worked on a forester so you will certainly know better

I hope its just the top pitch mount loose, im thinking that when you lifted the engine you probably should have disconnected it anyway.

Id have a look under the top mount IC and make sure its still in 1 piece worst case it snapped and you have to replace it.

Im just struggling to imagine what is moviig so much you can feel when driving!

Old 30 September 2022, 06:29 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

When you lifted the engine you should have disconnect the pitch stop mount too. If this was left connected, when you lowered the engine back into place it could have torqued enough that it’s hung up on a thread. Admittedly it should’ve found itself home, but it’s possible. Just undo the pitch stop mount, and then the two lower engine mounts, jack the engine back up slightly and then lower is again and make sure it’s home properly. Then do up the engine mount nuts and re-fit the pitch stop.
Old 01 October 2022, 03:59 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danjo
When you lifted the engine you should have disconnect the pitch stop mount too. If this was left connected, when you lowered the engine back into place it could have torqued enough that it’s hung up on a thread. Admittedly it should’ve found itself home, but it’s possible. Just undo the pitch stop mount, and then the two lower engine mounts, jack the engine back up slightly and then lower is again and make sure it’s home properly. Then do up the engine mount nuts and re-fit the pitch stop.
To be honest, I watched a few videos on youtube of the guys replacing the spark plugs on SG5 by lifting up the engine, and nobody touched the pitch stop mount, they just loosened two lower mounts only - so I did.
That single clunking noise\thus can be heard only when I take off sharp, not normally or slowly accelerating. Otherwise, there are no other noises or vibrations. I don't think that pitch stop mount is broken, maybe it slipped and loosen, I believe.
I will try to re-tighten all the mounts tomorrow. Will keep you guys updated...
Old 01 October 2022, 08:54 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the pitch stop has to be loosened otherwise your fighting against it when you raise the engine..........

have worked on all forms of Subaru for circa 25years and never lifted an engine for plugs
The following 2 users liked this post by stockcar:
Old 01 October 2022, 02:10 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

It's almost like not everybody uploading to Youtube is an expert
Old 01 October 2022, 02:51 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
It's almost like not everybody uploading to Youtube is an expert
Being fair, a 5 minute search on here, or even a question would have told you how to do it without this extra issue you now have,
These cars have been around decades so there is certainly a lot of information at your finger tips these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDM_Stig:
Old 01 October 2022, 03:10 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the pitch stop has to be loosened otherwise your fighting against it when you raise the engine..........

have worked on all forms of Subaru for circa 25years and never lifted an engine for plugs
Old 02 October 2022, 02:53 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Update:
1 Loosened the pitch stop mount, and the two lower mounts. The Pitch stop mount looked absolutely fine.
2. Started the engine for a second (the intercooler was removed so the engine stalled, but worked for a few seconds).
3. Tightened the right lower mount, then the left lower, and finally - the pitch stop mount.
Result: no more thud\clunking noise.
Old 02 October 2022, 07:11 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hauntednsk
Update:
1 Loosened the pitch stop mount, and the two lower mounts. The Pitch stop mount looked absolutely fine.
2. Started the engine for a second (the intercooler was removed so the engine stalled, but worked for a few seconds).
3. Tightened the right lower mount, then the left lower, and finally - the pitch stop mount.
Result: no more thud\clunking noise.
Good news

Did you notice if it had moved at all? One of the bolt holes is sloted for adjustment.
Old 02 October 2022, 05:28 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Good news

Did you notice if it had moved at all? One of the bolt holes is sloted for adjustment.
I did not notice anything. Here are some pictures. Basically, I just removed the pitch stop mount and installed it back.

Old 02 October 2022, 05:35 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

The elongated hole is on the bulkhead.