Notices

Melett CHRAs

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2021, 12:49 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Melett CHRAs

Hi all, Anyone else had an issues with a Melett CHRA? I rebuilt my VF48 last year with one as I had read they are meant to be of good quality. Less then a year later I now get a big old puff of smoke when I start the car and the intercooler had a fair amount of oil in it when I took it off the other day (I suspected PCV as was only a little bit of oil to begin with). I’m now convinced the seals have gone on the turbo.

Car is a 2009 hatch STi running stock power. So not like I’m pushing it beyond its abilities.

The Melett CHRA was about £180. Quite reasonable for a drop in home rebuild solution. And yes, I did do an oil change and made sure to prime the turbo before starting the car.

Any other suggestions of a CHRA to look at? Thanks, Rob
Old 19 April 2021, 12:58 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Have you pulled your PCV valve out, what was the condition was it moving freely.
Old 19 April 2021, 01:11 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should have said. I replaced the PCV and the hoses with new genuine ones from ICP. Old PCV was moving but not quite as freely as the new one. Has crossed my mind the new PCV could be faulty and not sealing under boost..!?
Old 19 April 2021, 01:19 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I had a PCV valve go bad but caught it too late. It killed the engine and turbo.

It might have damaged your seals in the turbo. But how long ago did you change the PCV valve, there could still be residual oil.
Old 19 April 2021, 01:34 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

well that sucks..

Thursday just gone – 15th April
I took the throttle body off when doing the PCV and found a puddle of oil just inside the manifold. I soaked all that up and also cleaned the intercooler out with brake cleaner.

On the first start after doing that (engine was cold anyway) no puff of smoke. Took it for a drive the next morning big old puff of smoke. So I’d say there probably wasn’t much residual oil in the intake side when I done the PCV. But now seems to be getting worse every time I use the damn car!
Old 19 April 2021, 04:23 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Assuming you're running a top mount, sounds like you have most of the residual oil sorted.

One potential way to check seals is to take off the cold side pipe and start the car. If you see oil coming out then your seals are done for. A blocked PCV valve will also show the same symptoms. Since you have changed the PCV vale you know it shouldn't be that.

Just to make sure we have the basics covered, was it a genuine item.
Old 19 April 2021, 06:17 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Yeah, stock top mount intercooler. Trying to keep this one as standard as possible lol.

Well, I am going to do the clutch in the next few weeks. I'll just take the turbo off then and inspect. I do have a rebuilt VF48 sat in the garage that I took off my ols WRX before selling it. I guess I'll have to swap that onto the car and see if my smoking goes away...
I believe it is a genuine Melett. Came in branded box with serial numbers etc. I’ll get in contact with Melett and see if they can help depending on what I find I suppose.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 19 April 2021, 06:40 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Sorry I meant if your PCV valve was genuine.

If the seals have gone you won't always get play in the shaft. I know I didn't. But like you said you have another turbo so try that
Old 19 April 2021, 06:59 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Oh I see. yes. PCV I would say is a genuine one as came in Subaru branded bag with part number label and came from import car parts. Never had any issues with their items before.