Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2014, 08:38 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a newbie brakes/fuel pump/bushes

Evening all,

New to the forum so start off with hello to everyone

I have rescue toy helped a mate out with his classic impreza (uk2000) T Reg.

The car itself has sat for around 1.5 years no tax or test and my mate asked me to helped him free everything off with the view to getting it back on the road.

Unfortunately on further inspection seems with it sitting by the side of his home the sills are in a bit of a sorry state and in need of repair plus it's going to need new pads discs all round possibly brake lines too.

He then realised what was ahead of him and is a busy man and decided to knock it on the head and me being the friend I am have taken it off his hands.

It's had a good life until it was parked up, new gearbox and clutch, when my friend bought it he had a full service and new belt fitted at subaru and a tracker fitted by an independent garage.

I am not new to cars but I am new to subarus and I though it would be a good idea rather than jumping in and making a mess of things just asking a few questions first.

My plans (over next few months):

Strip the suspension and brakes down and see if it needs new shocks it's getting new slightly lowered springs any suggestions appreciated.

New pads and discs all round again any brands suggested is a help I have been looking on Godspeed and they seem to be the right people esp with the caliper seal kit as that is a must.

With this it needs tax and test and to get it through a test I would imagine a lot of the rubber is going to be shot so thinking about poly bushing the front end and replacing anything which needs replacing along the way.

On the bright side my friend had a new bonnet and the front end fully resprayed so the front end is spot on rear arches could do with as light touch up which I am not concerned about.

The interior is also in very good condition too the engine has had a little work it has a rolling road tag under the bonnet but I am unsure of the exact info on it I can find out at the weekend but it isn't a molested example which is always a bonus I suppose. It has a lot of history with around 78k on the clock from what I remember.

But as I say if anyone can give me a helping hand with anything which causes common problems or if anyone has suggestions/particular brands for particular items etc again it would be appreciated.

In the meantime I will have a good look about and see what I can come up with.

Cheers in advance guys
Old 22 May 2014, 08:57 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

welcome along, seems a fun project
Old 22 May 2014, 08:59 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classicscoob26
rear arches could do with as light touch up which I am not concerned about.
Be concerned. They tend to rot from the inside out!

Since you're local according to the location under your username, I don't need to include the area code. Give Alyn @ AS Performance a ring; 410 3770.

Having been sat for that long, the list of things you'll have to check is going to get quite long.

When did it last have a cam belt? It's going to need a full sevice. Having sat for so long, there is a good chance the dampers are fubar'd.

Focus your time, money and effort on making it road worthy, then consider things like polybushing. Full service, sort the brakes out, and get it to a test center to see what's what.
Old 22 May 2014, 09:08 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Cheers boys.

Yeah Micky I live in Ashington.

I have heard some horror stories tbh but this I why I thought about coming here and seeing how the land lies first.

In all honesty I went and picked the car up with my mate from subaru at Hexham after it had the service and belt replaced but I cannot remember how long ago it was now. But for the sake of changing it, it maybe worth just changing it.

It would need a good service in all fairness wouldn't feel comfortable unless it was done, that's the main concern to start with get the sills sorted and then brakes all round get it stopping properly and then move onto MOT few of me mates are testers so get it in and see what am looking at once I have had a once over at it.

One issue I do have is the fuel pump don't know if anyone's had this problem, car started first turn of the key with some fresh petrol on it and stung of petrol listen back seats and it was soaking appears to be returning back up feeder into the pump!

Also heard of the filler neck being an issue too?

It's a a project wanted one for a while and I have a van too that I use so it's going to stay in the garage until it's done and just used weekends etc.

What have I let myself in for!!!! Hahaha
Old 22 May 2014, 09:10 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Also Micky we're is as performance? I know of a bloke up in Bartley but for the life of is I can't remember his name the cars got one of his gearbox's in it.

Is it the same bloke?
Old 22 May 2014, 10:29 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Change all fluids. They will have absorbed moisture. Old oil gets acidic which is especially bad on boxer engines as it sits against the head gaskets.

Those rear arches are probably a nightmare underneath the arch so beware... you can't see it unless you get right in there.

Fitting polybushes is easy. Getting the old ones out is really not! Be prepared for some serious graft!
Old 23 May 2014, 08:03 AM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Hi FMJ,

A good service is going to be a must, think i am going to get it stopping first then a good service and clean and get under see what it needs for an MOT.

With regards to the rear arches what and were don i need to be looking at/for? I know the sills need attention but this is due to sitting on grass for so long the moisture etc so may be same with the inner arch as you say

I am going up tomorrow so i will get some pics for you all see what you think.

If push comes to shove whats the spares market like? Not that i want to go down this route but i also do not want to be stuck with a money pit too.
Old 23 May 2014, 02:06 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

The rear arches are discussed here: https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/...ty-arches.html

It all depends how bad it is. Even if it is bad you can either ignore, patch up (which will last a while) or go all out and fix.
Old 23 May 2014, 05:21 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

FMJ is there another link by any chance the link doesn't seem to work?

I don't mind putting the work in and getting it sorted, thunk its going to turn into a long term project.

I have an idea what i want it to turn out like so it will be worth it (hopefully)

I am going to look at the car again in the morning i will get some pics and stuff and have a good poke about in the boot and in the inner rear arches and see whats happening
Old 23 May 2014, 08:57 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Late reply, sorry mate.

Alyn is in Birtley: http://asperformance.com/contact/ He also posts on here as AS Performance.

Fuel filler pipe is a common problem, there's a stone guard over them that holds all the road crap that gets thrown up. They aren't cheap from the dealers.

Brand new one here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item2c8368a7e0

Seats are probably soaked with water, not fuel. Rear lights, rear screen, spoiler holes and boot seal are the most common places for leaks.
Old 24 May 2014, 12:56 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Not a problem Micky ... Yeah I know who you mean my mate had a box off him and exedy clutch kit just before the car came off the road. He has all the info for the belt and service which he had done when he bought it work was done by gilesgate.

The only issue is the sills rear arches are immaculate very slight bubbling had the boot lining back to make sure and a good look feel about in the arch itself and it's spit on.

Do you know anyone or recommend anyone who is a good welder????

Interiors immaculate too no dents in the bodywork roof and wing mirrors will need a paint but apart from that a good was and a mop and the car will look good as new again I reckon.

The back seats are dry it's the pipe work running to the pump under backs eat fuel seems to be coming back on itself not sure if it's the pump or pipework but again I can look into that and get it sorted
Old 24 May 2014, 12:57 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

How do you attach pics I am useless at this sort of stuff?
Old 24 May 2014, 02:11 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Photobucket.com

Copy and paste the highlighted link;

Old 24 May 2014, 03:50 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Here is the link again to the arch issue. It would be highly unusual for their to be rust outside with a lot more inside and it is usually hard to see unless you take the wheel off and get you head under with a torch and scrap away the dirt. But fingers crossed for you that it really isn't that bad.
Old 24 May 2014, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

What link?

This post from this thread will give you an idea.

Also, this thread is well worth a read.
Old 24 May 2014, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Those links work for me, the other link in the thread didn't.
Old 24 May 2014, 07:55 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Do you know anyone or recommend anyone who is a good welder????
Unfortunately for both of us, I don't. My rear arches need doing.

The back seats are dry it's the pipe work running to the pump under backs eat fuel seems to be coming back on itself not sure if it's the pump or pipework but again I can look into that and get it sorted
There shouldn't be any pipe work under the seats, apart from by the rear passenger door where the hard pipes exit the rear of the car. Brake lines are on the drivers side.

Pull the back seats out, there's 2 inspection plates behind them. You can access them from the boot, but, it's easier with the seats out.

Drivers side one is the one that covers the pump assembly, pic with the inspection cover off.

From left to right, from memory the pipes are as follows:

Left: Return to tank
Center: High pressure feed from pump
Right: Not sure on the correct term, but, it runs to the passenger side of the tank and lifts fuel from that side, as the tank is like a saddle.

Whats worth taking into consideration, is that petrol will rot fuel lines eventually, so it may be prudent to replace all the the rubber ones.
Old 25 May 2014, 01:39 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
What link?

This post from this thread will give you an idea.

Also, this thread is well worth a read.
Thank you. Those were the ones I was referring to
Old 26 May 2014, 06:41 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Sorry about the late reply guys.

Just had a read through that thread and I seems I may need to have a better look as you say FMJ but that's something I can do when I get the car which I think is going to be this weekend

Micky that my issue I can't remember the pip now which the fuel was coming from been a while since I last saw it running was going to get it running Saturday but the battery was on charge so left it but this isn't going to be an over night job which I am gutted about as I am inpatient to say the least haha.

I was going to ask for some help too ... When I get he car my plans is to sort brakes get it good for MOT and what I was thinking of doing was just getting new pads and discs all round (pagid) and buying seal kit for the callipers and getting them sorted rather than hoying money at it I would rather do it that way get it on the road and then upgrade later.

I have been and seen a friend who has a immaculate impreza owns a body shop down the coast and he has said he doesn't know of anyone repairing the sills on them but he will come have a look and see what the score is as a lad does welding in his shop so may be onto something ... Wey fingers crossed anyway!
Old 26 May 2014, 06:48 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Micky just sent you some pics by email
Old 26 May 2014, 06:56 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

4 pot calipers on the front? Should be at that age, but, there are some oddballs.

The cheap Pagid pads from Euro Car Parts work really well, IMO, I have them on mine.

Try and source a set of 2 pot rear calipers. Need a set of mounting brakets and a set of bug/blob WRX discs to fit them. Much better than the single piston sliding calipers that are standard.

For safety's sake, with it having stood so long, replace the flexi brake pipes. You might find that the copper ones are badly corroded though, cheap enough fix when whoever does it, knows what they are doing. I know how do to it, but have neither the skill nor the tools to do it.

If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. I'm free most Saturdays.
Old 26 May 2014, 06:59 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Has it got Brembo calipers on the front? Hard to tell in the pics, but, it has bug STI wheels fitted.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:02 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

I use pagid, have done for a while had no issues on my 330ci or my dads x5 and Ml seem to do the job in my opinion

Any work that's done I will be doing mate, my dad's been in the game for years diesel fitter by trade now we do a lot of. Work from home now but always happy for any help and tbh this is the best place for any advice and always happy for a helping hand mate.

Did you get my email?
Old 26 May 2014, 07:05 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Aye me mate bought them wheels a long time ago now, it's got subaru callipers all round do the brembo come branded brembo or subaru?

Only problem body wise is the roof and the wing mirrors but am going to have a gooooood look at the arches when I get it home.

Am like a kid at Christmas haha
Old 26 May 2014, 07:05 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Yeah, replied, one conversation going on in two places now.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:12 PM
Classicscoob26
Scooby Newbie

Hahaha I know mate struggling to keep up