Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

How to break the 300bhp mark

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2020, 07:38 AM
philwil44
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to break the 300bhp mark

Hi, new to the Scooby scene, just bought a blob uk 2.0 sti. The car has a full exhaust front to back and aftermarket air filter. Looking to know would a simple map take it to the 300 area or would additional things need to be replaced, the goal is 320bhp, what is the easiest way here without pushing limits on the standard components. Is a walbo 350 fuel pump a waste of time with all the standard bits on?
Old 21 December 2020, 08:09 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by philwil44
Hi, new to the Scooby scene, just bought a blob uk 2.0 sti. The car has a full exhaust front to back and aftermarket air filter. Looking to know would a simple map take it to the 300 area or would additional things need to be replaced, the goal is 320bhp, what is the easiest way here without pushing limits on the standard components. Is a walbo 350 fuel pump a waste of time with all the standard bits on?
welcome mate 👍 with those mods your car SHOULD have been remapped when they were fitted and it SHOULD be more than your 300bhp target. If your car has not been mapped with those parts fitted then get it mapped ASAP and personally I wouldn’t be driving it until it’s done.
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 December 2020, 08:36 AM
philwil44
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, it was a barn find and has done 12,000 miles, has not been started in 3 years so I can only assume it was done before it went in the shed in 2008 but I am sure there are a lot more things developed since then. Getting all oils, belts, filters changed then look about mapping.
Old 21 December 2020, 08:41 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Thanks, it was a barn find and has done 12,000 miles, has not been started in 3 years so I can only assume it was done before it went in the shed in 2008 but I am sure there are a lot more things developed since then. Getting all oils, belts, filters changed then look about mapping.
12000 miles! Certainly a keeper then. What condition is it in? Any pictures?
Old 21 December 2020, 08:43 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
welcome mate 👍 with those mods your car SHOULD have been remapped when they were fitted and it SHOULD be more than your 300bhp target. If your car has not been mapped with those parts fitted then get it mapped ASAP and personally I wouldn’t be driving it until it’s done.
Op hasn't said if it's a like for like system with cats still in place or full decat exhaust
Old 21 December 2020, 08:57 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ted bass
Op hasn't said if it's a like for like system with cats still in place or full decat exhaust
read the post soft lad. “Full exhaust Front to back” has it got half an exhaust, 3 quarters??? “Aftermarket air filter” n0b h3ad
Old 21 December 2020, 09:09 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
read the post soft lad. “Full exhaust Front to back” has it got half an exhaust, 3 quarters??? “Aftermarket air filter” n0b h3ad
Oops it's still early Johno
Old 21 December 2020, 09:29 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

does the exhaust look like for like mate? I initially thought the car has had a decat and an air filter which is 2 very useful mods for unleashing abit more power without breaking the bank 👍
Old 21 December 2020, 09:45 AM
philwil44
Scooby Newbie

Sorry should of specified, has miltek exhaust, no cat and the air filter is a cone k&n style, not sure of brand.

yeah got pics, I will post before and after in members section, it is the ugliest blob I have seen but underneath it all is a rust free showroom car which is why I had to go with it, interior like the day it left the showroom. Got a list of things ordered for it, should be ready in feb, just the engine I am trying to get my head around, not experienced with these at all.
Old 21 December 2020, 09:57 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

“Ugliest blob I’ve seen” 🤣🤣 the important bits sound good like condition, underneath etc so just sort the looks over time if it’s not to your taste. Can’t wait to see it now lol.
Old 23 December 2020, 12:04 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Chiming in here if its only done 12000 miles then Id be inclined to put the original parts back on and keep it.

A similar low mileage UK300 MY 05 WRX was up for sale at 12k ,
your Blob Sti if in top condition would perhaps be worth more , and would certainly not depreciate.

Otherwise , (and I agree with post from Johoo01 )

If you decide to use it with the Miltek Decat and after market cone air filter then you must get it Mapped. If you don't the extra flow will lean out the mixture and you are in danger of detonation on full boost.
However if you keep off boost, driving mildly around 3500 rpm or less then you can drive to the mapper safely. I would however replace the Fuel pump medium term as these do deteriorate with age and have been known to fail.
If fuel supply is down then you would also run the risk of leaning out the mixture and this too can cause detonation and that will destroy you otherwise good engine in short order.

Using a 2.5 inch Miltek Decat / and a K&N style cone Id expect 320 bhp at 1.4 -1.5 Bar trailing 1.2 at 6k rpm with fast spool at 3000rpm
if the Uppipe has also been decatted and exhaust headers are good ones like RCM or even if the Standard ones ported you might even get near 350bhp..

Not sure how you can get to a mapper from NI right now though

PS you should read up on a thread on here called "blob eye max boost ??"

Last edited by Linksfahrer; 23 December 2020 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post: