Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

330s map on my hatch STi?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2020, 06:38 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 330s map on my hatch STi?

Hi all,

I have a 2009 hatch STi. I'm looking to delete the secondary air pump soon as it keeps playing up. I thought while there I'd look into flashing the 330s map to it as well if I can get hold of it. I've checked the current map and it is totally stock. This is a bit odd as previous owner fitted a sports cat when the Engine and turbo were replaced by Subaru (about 10,000 miles ago). It boosts to about 1 bar so close to stock so thankfully not over-boosting.
I have a Tractrix 2.0 cable and it reads the ECU just fine as I tweaked the temps the fans come on as I wasn't happy the temps it was running in the summer.

Now, I know the 330s map is a prodrive locked map, I was hoping someone has managed to rip it off and converted it to a map that ecuEdit/ECUFlash/romraider etc. can read?

The car is ok, but, I had a hawkeye running about 340bhp before the hatch. This just feels a bit flat in comparison.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Old 05 December 2020, 11:46 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

hi,

how/why does the 2ndry air pump play up?

has it been back for the recall on the secondary air pump relay?
and the air bag?

Phil
Old 06 December 2020, 08:00 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

The valves were the air is blown in gum up over time, locking open or closed, causing "limp" mode. The problem with the recall is that replacing the stuck valves is just a sticking plaster, because it will happen again. Short journeys allegedly aggravate the problem, as condensation isn't burnt off. Pumps have burnt out.
The bay is also tidied up without it, and it's another small bit of weight saved.
Old 06 December 2020, 09:09 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
The valves were the air is blown in gum up over time, locking open or closed, causing "limp" mode. The problem with the recall is that replacing the stuck valves is just a sticking plaster, because it will happen again. Short journeys allegedly aggravate the problem, as condensation isn't burnt off. Pumps have burnt out.
The bay is also tidied up without it, and it's another small bit of weight saved.

everyone's added Covid kilo counter balances any car weight loss lol
Old 06 December 2020, 09:14 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
everyone's added Covid kilo counter balances any car weight loss lol
That's a conservative estimation for me, once the broken back was added to the equation. I must fit that titanium exhaust, then I can drink more beer.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 December 2020, 10:07 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. yes, all recalls have been done. Exactly as hedgecutter says, mine has issues with valves (P2441 Secondary Air Pump Valve 1 Stuck Closed). Not all the time. comes up every few weeks. so, I plan on getting rid of the whole lot. I have the blanking plates and going to map the codes out myself.
In addition to this, means I have more space for doing plugs and much more clearance to the coolant reservoir. I have a Mishimoto rad and I only have a few mm clearance.

I’m surprised the least important part (to me) of my post got so much interest though lol. I was just hoping for a little extra boost in power while there with a 330s map.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 06 December 2020, 06:08 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would just get a conservative custom map from a reputable tuner, who would be able to check for any issues, and provide you with similar power, or more, at similar safety levels
Old 10 December 2020, 10:28 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I've managed to acquire a ‘stage 1’ (I hate that term) map from a well respected source on the RomRaider forum. It looks quite conservative and only running 17 psi so should be reasonably safe. This map is known to be running on quite a few ‘stock’ cars with no issues and seems to have good feedback.

I’ve given it a once over (with my admittedly limited knowledge) and probably going to give it a try.
I have a mate with a rolling road at his work, he’s already said he can probably get me in for a few runs one evening to make sure there isn’t any knock and AFR is all ok. They also have an inhouse mapper (VW tuning company) who would also give it the ok for me. Be interesting to see what power it gives and how it runs.

I know some of you will advise against this. But, I think I’m taking precautions and if I do notice any issues I’ll flash it back to stock.