Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Road Mapping vs other Type

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2019, 10:44 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Mapping vs other Type

Hi

What is the difference between mapping on the road, mapping on the rollers? If any?

Mapping on the road- would the outside temps impact the mapping? As car would behave differently on a warm day then a cool day?

Also is there any other types of maps? I think there is a standard ECU flash companies apply.

Sam
Old 09 August 2019, 11:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mapping on the road is illegal and your own insurance wont cover you for it, mapping on a dyno doesnt full replicate road conditions.

Best is map on the dyno thena limited road run to finish off, but which ever you go for avoide driving it yourself.

stay away from flash maps, bad idea on scoobs
Old 10 August 2019, 06:40 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

mapping on the road is best in my view ,,, a rolling road is only trying to replicate what you would be doing on the road ,,,, done all my scoobs on the road and never had any issues doing it
Old 10 August 2019, 08:15 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by domino46
mapping on the road is best in my view ,,, a rolling road is only trying to replicate what you would be doing on the road ,,,, done all my scoobs on the road and never had any issues doing it
Swindon bypass comes to mind.Hold 1 bar and dont blink.
Old 10 August 2019, 09:56 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Swindon bypass comes to mind.Hold 1 bar and dont blink.
holding 2 bar is more fun
Old 10 August 2019, 03:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

appart from invalid insurance and breakign the law to do it.

you do realise how much trouble you'll be in if you get caught?
Old 10 August 2019, 05:51 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
appart from invalid insurance and breakign the law to do it.

you do realise how much trouble you'll be in if you get caught?

yeah not as much trouble as you seem to think lol,,,,, iv been caught speeding before (not while mapping) lol got a few points and went about my day lol,, nice to see iv got my insurance with you lol ,, no offence but how do you know what insurance iv got in place , my mrs does the insurance but seeing she is one of the senior figures in one of the largest insurance companys in Europe im sure im covered just fine for most scenarios including road mapping ,,,, but in the 15 years iv been doing it and the 100s of cars iv driven while doing it iv never once had any trouble from doing it

iv spent a hell of a lot more hours road mapping than the average person and as iv said iv not had any issues or even heard of any in all this time

the only reason your insurance company would find out is if you crashed and then you told them what you were doing when you crashed ,,,, then its your own fault lol ,, the in and outs of the policy has nothing to do with the police , they just know if your insured or not

so when its being checked on the road do they then keep it under the speed limit the whole time lol , no they open it up to test it lol

Last edited by domino46; 10 August 2019 at 05:55 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10 August 2019, 06:20 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too worried about if it's legal or illegal...not like I drive around at 30mph everywhere anyway...lol
Old 10 August 2019, 07:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yeah not as much trouble as you seem to think lol,,,,, iv been caught speeding before (not while mapping) lol got a few points and went about my day lol,, nice to see iv got my insurance with you lol ,, no offence but how do you know what insurance iv got in place , my mrs does the insurance but seeing she is one of the senior figures in one of the largest insurance companys in Europe im sure im covered just fine for most scenarios including road mapping ,,,, but in the 15 years iv been doing it and the 100s of cars iv driven while doing it iv never once had any trouble from doing it

iv spent a hell of a lot more hours road mapping than the average person and as iv said iv not had any issues or even heard of any in all this time

the only reason your insurance company would find out is if you crashed and then you told them what you were doing when you crashed ,,,, then its your own fault lol ,, the in and outs of the policy has nothing to do with the police , they just know if your insured or not

so when its being checked on the road do they then keep it under the speed limit the whole time lol , no they open it up to test it lol

do you honestly think your own insurance will cover someone else working on your car? really? go ask your insurance companys legal team and see what they say

If you have an accident and your insurance finds out they invalidate it and notify the police and your in the poo. Or if polcie see laptop and det cans they will start asking alot of questions and i would be very surprised if they didnt just check if you jad insurance but if it covered you for what was being done.

if im not in it, its under the garages insurance and nothing to do with me.
Old 10 August 2019, 07:52 PM
Hatch08
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
do you honestly think your own insurance will cover someone else working on your car? really? go ask your insurance companys legal team and see what they say

If you have an accident and your insurance finds out they invalidate it and notify the police and your in the poo. Or if polcie see laptop and det cans they will start asking alot of questions and i would be very surprised if they didnt just check if you jad insurance but if it covered you for what was being done.

if im not in it, its under the garages insurance and nothing to do with me.
I was stopped once by the police while on a road mapping session; laptop, det cans, gauges and tailpipe probe in full view. Police Officer: “we are stopping high power cars in the area today” (bull-faeces).
“What are you guys doing with the laptop and the tailpipe probe on the car?”
Response: “Emission testing officer. The car is running a little rich and we’re trying to get to the bottom of it” )

He did his online checks and let us off apologizing for stopping us and hoping we wouldn’t report him for stopping us without cause. (He did tail us for a little bit after letting us off though; you gotta love them the poor sods)
Old 10 August 2019, 08:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hatch08
I was stopped once by the police while on a road mapping session; laptop, det cans, gauges and tailpipe probe in full view. Police Officer: “we are stopping high power cars in the area today” (bull-faeces).
“What are you guys doing with the laptop and the tailpipe probe on the car?”
Response: “Emission testing officer. The car is running a little rich and we’re trying to get to the bottom of it” )

He did his online checks and let us off apologizing for stopping us and hoping we wouldn’t report him for stopping us without cause. (He did tail us for a little bit after letting us off though; you gotta love them the poor sods)
lucky bugger hahahaha