Notices

Motec ECU/Mapping - Do these ECU have a mapping time lock

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2005, 10:01 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motec ECU/Mapping - Do these ECU have a mapping time lock

A friend has just bought a Scoob with a v.expensive Motec ECU in it.
I'm not sure which one yet, but I would guess it's an M800 Plug'N'Play (it was fitted by TSL).

He is looking to exapnd on the modifications already fitted, so I thought I would look into the possibilty of helping him out with a remap.

Now, the software for the Motec ECU seems to be freely available from their webiste. But I think I will need a PC interface cable.
The online manuals also read as if there is an 8 hour time lock on the mapping.

Further mapping time can be purchased in 1 hour chunks.

Would this be correct, OR can I gain mapping access all of the time once the correct high Speec CAN cable is purchased.

Cheers........
Old 24 November 2005, 12:08 PM
Kael
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Motec cable and could map as much as I needed too. But the Motec is a CAN cable.

Bear in mind it might be locked though with a password which TSL might not release.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:12 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

let Bob Rawle do it - hes very good!
Old 24 November 2005, 12:26 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
I know he's very good, but the mods will be going on stage by stage and the map update costs would sky rocket.
I can probably do it myself once I've got my head around the Motec GUI. It's gotta be a damn site easier then working blind with a ScoobyECU.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:28 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kael
I purchased the Motec cable and could map as much as I needed too. But the Motec is a CAN cable.

Bear in mind it might be locked though with a password which TSL might not release.
Kael,

How much was the cable.... just found out it's an M800 with adaptor loom. So does not sound like plug'n'play

I think it needs the CAN cable for the printer port.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:33 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
You're assuming Scott isn't!
Old 24 November 2005, 12:55 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You're assuming Scott isn't!
Also bare in mind where TSL, and Bob is in relation to me/Scott. Any more help greatly appreciated all.
Old 24 November 2005, 01:24 PM
Kael
Scooby Regular

Can cable plugs directly into a serial port. My laptop I needed a USB to Serial Port convertor.

If you can map a pre 96 ECU then the Motec is like heaven!

Can cable connects to the serial port then into the loom adaptor which is a 9 pin D Connector like the serial port.

I bought mine for about £120 from TSL if my memory serves me. I have one for a M48R Pro and a M800. Look the same but no idea if they are.

Connectors to the adaptor loom or the plug and play system are exactly the same to my knowledge.

Hope that helps.
Old 24 November 2005, 03:56 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

The 8 hour thing, is an option you can buy on the ecu when new, that basically sets the ecu off self learning and adjusting for the first 8 hours of its operating life.

Other than that, you should be able to access it, but get ready to be raped for the price of the cable , which can only be bought through dealers.

Other thing maybe that TSL have password protected the map, at which point, i would not like to know how you will get round it. Unless you ask nicely.
Old 24 November 2005, 04:04 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P20SPD
The 8 hour thing, is an option you can buy on the ecu when new, that basically sets the ecu off self learning and adjusting for the first 8 hours of its operating life.

Other than that, you should be able to access it, but get ready to be raped for the price of the cable , which can only be bought through dealers.

Other thing maybe that TSL have password protected the map, at which point, i would not like to know how you will get round it. Unless you ask nicely.
If TSL have password protected, I will ask nicely, but with in excess of 10K spent with TSL in only a few years, and 2K for the Motec, I would like to think they will give the password. And indeed I would say they are probably legally obliged too anyway. But should I need it, A friendly call will hopefull receive the password. If they were remotely close to me I would be happy for them to map it again, but they are over 170 miles from me.

Cheers for your other help.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

All sounds very promising. Have checked out the S/W and there's alot of it. But the basics seem fine and very easy to operate. It's got some nice logging S/W too, as an add-on.

Hooking up the ECU should make things even clearer. It's a bit like reading a manual for a Microsoft product, without having a PC infront of you.

Getting the base map setup is the hard bit, but that's already done ....

Rob, I expect you only have a USB socket on your laptop and not an old fashioned printer port (Motec website seems to talk about connecting the M800 using a fast link parrallel port). So if you find you do not have the cable in the footwell, make sure you order the USB type.

Last edited by Scott.T; 24 November 2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:13 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
All sounds very promising. Have checked out the S/W and there's alot of it. But the basics seem fine and very easy to operate. It's got some nice logging S/W too, as an add-on.

Hooking up the ECU should make things even clearer. It's a bit like reading a manual for a Microsoft product, without having a PC infront of you.

Getting the base map setup is the hard bit, but that's already done ....

Rob, I expect you only have a USB socket on your laptop and not an old fashioned printer port. So if you find you do not have the cable in the footwell, make sure you order the USB type.
My Laptop the boll*cks m8, has USB, Serial, and printer, and a hoffing poweful processor etc, so should do the job nicely. Will pop the ECU cover in a mo to see whats there.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:15 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Didnt think they did a usb type. The cable connects to the laptop by parrallel port, and must have something fancy within the parrallel part (you will know better than i), i got a card for my laptop that replicates a parrallel port.

The can connector at the other end, connects to an opposing can connector which is usually at the end of a short wire plugged into the ecu.

Have a look in the footwell and see whats sticking out of the ecu.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:29 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Hot off the press: I'm not a teckie, but this is some seriously impressive sh*t

connectors show in pic and there is also a toggle switch, which you can barely see in the pic.

Old 25 November 2005, 12:12 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Don't mention Bob when/if you speak to TSL.

They use R.Bulmer.

I doubt TSL will be forthcoming.

Simon
Old 25 November 2005, 08:38 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Bottom pic, the one on the left is the can interface.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:55 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiHethers
Don't mention Bob when/if you speak to TSL.

They use R.Bulmer.

I doubt TSL will be forthcoming.

Simon
Theres a bit of a monopoly going on with tuners up' North. About time someone down south can map this stuff. Hopefully TSL will be forthcoming. They I am sure would be quick to take crica 2K for the ECU, so If its password protected hopefully they will do the right/decent thing. Even If I have to pay them a nominal fee. Any base map in my car is only good for my car, as the spec is different from what most people have.

Currently VF28 Turbo, full decat, std UK intercooler, 2.5Ltr bottom end with forged internals, obligatory fuel pump and regulator.

Looking eventually at a Hybrid top mount, or STI8 intercooler, TD06 20g, and much bigger injectors. And maybe more later on with head work. Ultimately looking for the 400/400 everyone talks about from the 2.5.
Old 25 November 2005, 09:36 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

ding!
Old 25 November 2005, 11:42 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Give TSL a bell and just ask if it's password protected. Just because the ECU was purchased from them and mapped by there 'resident' or 'freelance' mapper, doesn't really give them the right to lock the ECU out for future mods.

All ECUTEK stuff can be locked, but I don't think many mappers lock em'
Old 25 November 2005, 12:14 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Give TSL a bell and just ask if it's password protected. Just because the ECU was purchased from them and mapped by there 'resident' or 'freelance' mapper, doesn't really give them the right to lock the ECU out for future mods.

All ECUTEK stuff can be locked, but I don't think many mappers lock em'
Firing up software and plugging in ECU will soon find this out. If its blocked then I will think carefully how I ask then for the pasword. Have downloaded the software and manual myself, which makes for interesting reading. User friendly screen layouts, but largely all double dutch to me.
Old 25 November 2005, 12:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't think they are reading this already Rob?
Old 25 November 2005, 12:27 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
You don't think they are reading this already Rob?
If they were a PM would be nice rather than all the secrecy. But will give um call, when I have the receipts for al the work done by them in my hand.
Old 25 November 2005, 12:54 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Just spoke with TSL, nice people and its NOT password protected by them. But then again the 2.5 rebuild was done by scoobyclinic, and would have had a map tweak by them, so possible they may have passworded it, but unlikely.

Old 25 November 2005, 01:17 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

I have M48 pro on mine , the first "free hours" are on the advanced user options ( on mine wide band + others) It is a "motec" lead that connect`s to the serial port on my laptop (through a usb > serial) The interface looks identical to mine apart from the round plug, I would take a guess at it maybe the extra connection for the wideband sensor ?, the switch is semi assignable, so can be used for antilag/ traction / launch etc,
Have a good one
Tim
Old 25 November 2005, 03:04 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

If it was mapped/tweaked at Scoobyclinic, then I expect Pat mapped it.
All sounds promising.

As soon as the ECU connects it will download the map to the PC and prompt you for a name. Thats if it doesn't already exist on your hard drive (which it obviousley won't)

With regard to connectors, the 9-way Dtype is a Telemetry connection for use with radio transmitter equipment.
The round CAN connector (looks like a microphone/audio connector) is the one you use for logging and mapping.

Did TSL give you a price for the cable ?

Can you have a look at that switch, would be interested to see where it connects (if it does) to the yellow connector.

It's a ****e hot ECU an IMHO very over-specced for a road going Impreza. Unless of course the Scoob has got 12 cylinder that you want to individually control.
Old 29 November 2005, 04:04 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

It's a ****e hot ECU an IMHO very over-specced for a road going Impreza. Unless of course the Scoob has got 12 cylinder that you want to individually control
I agree, one of the silly overspends on my setup.

CAN connector is as you say Scott. Cable from TSL iirc was 140+ ish 18 months ago!

Depending on which version of software you have downloaded, it may also ask you to update the ecu software when you 1st connect.

Steven
Old 29 November 2005, 04:14 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Did TSL give you a price for the cable ?

Can you have a look at that switch, would be interested to see where it connects (if it does) to the yellow connector.
Didn't get price for cable, but will do - But as you know I have no time at the moment to play with it, so more doing research first then go from there. I have another thread running with regards to power on a 2.5l, so all the jigsaw pieces are falling into place, and all is looking good at the moment for now and future modifications.