Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes with MY01

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2002, 03:45 PM
Dougiem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone used a Dawes with a standard UK MY01. If so what size of hole have you used and what results have you had? I am in the process of ordering one and dont know what size of hole to go for.
Old 06 February 2002, 09:25 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to add

"He may have put it on backwards but he knows what he is on about - or at least sounds like it."
Old 06 February 2002, 01:03 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

john,
can you point me in the right direction for your EBC instructions- i'm lost without the 'search' facility.
thanks.
Old 06 February 2002, 01:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=66285 see the latest circuit and code at the end.
Old 06 February 2002, 05:25 PM
Dougiem
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the advice RRH. I have ordered one with a 1.5mm hole as well as the Dawes AFR meter.
Old 06 February 2002, 06:34 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

make sure you put it on the right way up- it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. i'll e-mail you some photos if you get stuck.

simon b.
Old 06 February 2002, 06:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

john,
am i right in thinking that replacing the up-pipe will significantly reduce the majority of the heat issues?

simon
Old 07 February 2002, 03:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well if there is no cat there there is nothing to overheat and fly into your turbo at least.
Old 07 February 2002, 03:24 PM
EMS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You can´t use ANY device which increases boost at part throttle on the MY01!!! (The Dawes does that, as the std. boost control is limiting the boost at about 7 PSI at part throttle)

If you change this, the mixture becomes to lean and the exhaust temperatures are going sky high.

The are some topics at the i-club regarding this subject.

Mark Verhoeven.
Old 02 May 2002, 10:30 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

as i'm sure you're aware, john banks is the dawes guru .
i have a dawes fitted to my my01, which is standard apart from a full turbo-back scoobysport system.
i was shocked when i first fitted the dawes about how fast the car had become. then i got the boost gauge working properly, broke the 20psi barrier, and felt a complete plonker when it was pointed out to me that the dawes was upside down!
now correctly fitted, i am only running at approx 14psi and it feels an awful lot quicker than it does without the dawes, considering the boost gauge is giving me a very similar figure. the boost builds a lot faster, and is usable approx 500rpm earlier than without the dawes fitted.
however, there is an ongoing discussion about up-pipe cats failing due to the increased temperature that can be caused by the dawes due to incorrect fuelling and full boost on part throttle. i've read up fairly extensively on this on i-club, and, as a result, watch the gauges fairly carefully.
overall, i think you should be ok, and it's worth fitting and persevering with as the results are .
but if you take my advice (for what it's worth) fit an egt (exhaust gas temp) gauge, a boost gauge, and an afr (air to fuel ratio) meter (the one supplied by dawes is very good) and watch them carefully. i'm not really in to all these gauges around the place, but they're essential to set it up properly.
here endeth the sermon.......
simon b.

ps. i've got the blled hole opened up to 1.5mm, but john knows more about this than i do

[Edited by RRH - 2/5/2002 10:31:48 PM]
Old 02 July 2002, 04:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

We did discuss this about Dawes before and I have repeatedly advised caution to MY01 users for this very reason. However, "Gabedude" in factory forced induction forum on I-club showed much more respectable part throttle EGTs by using a bleed after the Dawes, and this helps on MY99/00 also, but a considerable number of I-club users have been shying away from MBCs on the MY01.

Some of the guys with Unichips were also getting high EGTs on part throttle and there is a whole bunch of info on it. Even using a duty cycle that is static with RPM on the MY01 without TPS modulation gives high EGTs apparently.

My EBC design is using a user definable TPS zone where the duty cycle is zero, then it scales up to fixed in another zone, and finally uses gain at WOT.

[Edited by john banks - 2/7/2002 4:25:39 PM]