Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Jailbreak 4.3.3 for iPad/Phone

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2011, 10:10 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jailbreak 4.3.3 for iPad/Phone

Amazingly from just a website with no messing around with booting in dfu mode etc...

http://www.jailbreakme.com

Steve
Old 07 July 2011, 12:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Seems to be using another PDF exploit. I'd expect an iOS 4.3.4 soon to close the hole. Very handy to be able to do this via a website though.
Old 07 July 2011, 12:44 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the benefits of JB on an Ipad? I always thought it was mostly to unlock the carrier lock on the Iphones.
Old 07 July 2011, 12:53 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Whats the benefits of JB on an Ipad? I always thought it was mostly to unlock the carrier lock on the Iphones.
It is used to install unsigned applications. Not necessarily copied (pirated) programs, but that as well.

Steve
Old 07 July 2011, 08:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Also very handy for accessing the root filesystem, which is probably only really of use to developers.
For example, I'd like to be able to install an application on a device via a script and then run an automation suite against it. On a non jailbroken device you cannot do this (well, iOS5 / Xcode 4.2 might help, but then again, possibly not) and so I cannot perform fully automated testing on a device, only in the simulator, and there are differences between the two, a big one being that your machine is going to have a fair bit more RAM in it than the device.

Another option is viewing anything that you app installs into it's own sandbox to make sure items there are not accessible, for example, encrypted content. You want to make sure someone cannot download, for example, an eBook, and then jump into the file system on a JB'd device and copy that file off and access it elsewhere.
Old 13 July 2011, 09:53 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I've used an iPad2 JB to disable the "home" button... really useful when I give my 18mth old daughter the iPad to play with the "In the Night Garden" app or some finger drawing app. I've done the same thing on the iPhone for the same reason.

Previously she'd hit the home button and start moving and deleting apps and generally causing chaos.

Now, once any app is running, I can prevent access to anything else and not worry about the state of my iPad/iPhone when I get it back. Very useful...

DN