Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I-Phone 4 Jailbreak released

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2010, 11:19 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I-Phone 4 Jailbreak released

Just used it on my 3gs on 4.0.1 and all seem well. Best thing is you do it on the device, no s/w or cables:thumb

Some had issues with facetalk on the 4 but others have not

Can i put the link up??

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/08/j...a-mobile-.html

http://www.jailbreakme.com/faq.html

Last edited by Glowplug; 02 August 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02 August 2010, 11:27 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

You should now be able to fix FaceTime and MMS by updating Cydia and resetting your network settings. If not, restore and rejailbreak.
Old 02 August 2010, 12:21 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

will this work on the iphone 4?
Old 02 August 2010, 12:27 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by impreza_sports_nutter
will this work on the iphone 4?
Yes no problems
Old 02 August 2010, 01:03 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

just done it and i have to say ..... kick ***!! It took me a few mins and now I've already approached max capacity in my iphone folders lol
Old 02 August 2010, 01:17 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Top job eh!
Old 02 August 2010, 01:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of interest what do you guys see as the main advantages of jailbreaking the iPhone 4 ? Does the jailbreak offer you a lot more over what the apps store and iphone already offers ?

And if you think it is worthwhile, what are the packages you are looking for ?
Old 02 August 2010, 01:38 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Just out of interest what do you guys see as the main advantages of jailbreaking the iPhone 4 ? Does the jailbreak offer you a lot more over what the apps store and iphone already offers ?

Demonoid is you friend swiss: cough cough
Old 02 August 2010, 02:05 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Demonoid is you friend swiss: cough cough
no need to do the whole cough cough nudge nudge thing may friend. It is now deemed legal to jailbreak so fire away with your reasons and links
Old 02 August 2010, 02:08 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

no need to do the whole cough cough nudge nudge thing may friend. It is now deemed legal to jailbreak so fire away with your reasons and links
Indeed it is but it's still illegal to download paid apps for free. Lol. I will explain my reasons for jailbreak when I'm on my laptop later and not my iPhone
Old 02 August 2010, 02:10 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

it may be legal to jailbreak swiss , but downloading and installing cracked apps isn't
Old 02 August 2010, 02:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
it may be legal to jailbreak swiss , but downloading and installing cracked apps isn't
Well aren't you the naughty boy !!!

I have exposed your dubious and underground practices with one innocent post, easily duping you into revealing exactly what you spend a large % of your time doing. Shame on you ...
Old 02 August 2010, 02:45 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Well aren't you the naughty boy !!!

I have exposed your dubious and underground practices with one innocent post, easily duping you into revealing exactly what you spend a large % of your time doing. Shame on you ...
You only had to ask swissy
Old 02 August 2010, 03:06 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Installous is a free apps store

And you can change the boring ringtones
Old 02 August 2010, 03:07 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Hi Tone

I personally jailbreak because i like the idea of being able to customise my phone how i want it and not how crapple tell me i have to have it.

Dont get me wrong if you was to look at my phone you might come across a couple of apps that i have no idea how they got there. .

Its only now that crapple have started to listen to the jailbreak community. I.e background apps, thats been about on jb devices for ages, also folders has been as well.

As for the apps you can get through installous (which is a download tool for jb devices) 90% of them will make there way to appstore. Crapple have to approve every app before it gets to appstore. So you get to mess about with them before hand.

Its only since OS4 have you been able to do that little bit more without jailbreaking.

Steve
Old 02 August 2010, 03:08 PM
Will
BANNED

just done my 3g and i'm now enjoying the bbc iplayer app
Old 02 August 2010, 04:17 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly question time - currently on 3.1.2 JB

Will I have to upgrade to 4.0 before I do a 4.0 JB or can it be done straight from the current level?
Old 02 August 2010, 04:24 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

If you are wanting ios4 jailbroken then update it first via itunes

Caution: do not upgade past 4.0.1 as not yet supported and you will be stuck there
Old 02 August 2010, 04:31 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
Hi Tone

I personally jailbreak because i like the idea of being able to customise my phone how i want it and not how crapple tell me i have to have it.

Dont get me wrong if you was to look at my phone you might come across a couple of apps that i have no idea how they got there. .

Its only now that crapple have started to listen to the jailbreak community. I.e background apps, thats been about on jb devices for ages, also folders has been as well.

As for the apps you can get through installous (which is a download tool for jb devices) 90% of them will make there way to appstore. Crapple have to approve every app before it gets to appstore. So you get to mess about with them before hand.

Its only since OS4 have you been able to do that little bit more without jailbreaking.

Steve
The only reason I ask is because , before the advent of ios4 and the faster iphone 4, jailbreaking was great on my old iphone as it provided features and apps that were not available via the authorised route. In those days I would not have hesitated in doing it and did so

However now I felt that the os gave pretty much everything I needed (well apart from wifi synching) and so was interested to see exactly what were the 'must have' reasons to do it
Old 02 August 2010, 06:25 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

http://apptrackr.org/

Download your app...then drag and drop using iTunes....sync iPhone....
Old 02 August 2010, 08:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

worked for me too ..
Old 02 August 2010, 08:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I only have one piece of advice and that's to read up on security or at least question it.
Old 02 August 2010, 11:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What Jack, no comment about installous or open public torrent trackers mentioned in this thread!?!?! I'm shocked
Old 03 August 2010, 01:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Why jailbreak? Mainly as it's the first step to unlocking some of the phones. No JB, no unlock. For everyone except Spain and the US the iPhone 4 is locked to a specific carrier, everywhere else you can purchase an iPhone 4 (and in some places iPhone 3GS) unlocked, thus allowing use on any network. Handy if you have crap AT&T service in your area.

I will grant that the other main reason is to run cracked apps. I have in the past done this. Why? Well, take for example Navigon's GPS product. It's rather expensive and there isn't a trial version available, or wasn't when I first looked at it. If I want to try it against other SatNav apps I'd need to purchase all of them, and those I did not like I'd either take the hit, or try and get a refund, which I'm told is possible, but there are quite a few hoops to jump through to do it.

I wanted to try a full version of the app, so I downloaded a cracked version. Once I found it was rather good I deleted the cracked version and paid for the real version. The app store does now have in-app purchases, so they could put out a Lite version, perhaps all options, limited to 10 days use, and then you can pay via in-app to "unlock" it (if that's allowed by the app store rules, not totally sure if it is). The problem here is that Apple gets cut of the in-app purchase and companies might not want Apple getting money for doing very little.

If you do JB your phone, then please look at the Cydia info about using openSSH and changing the default passwords for the mobile and root users. Just asking for trouble if you don't
Old 03 August 2010, 01:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Why jailbreak? Mainly as it's the first step to unlocking some of the phones. No JB, no unlock. For everyone except Spain and the US the iPhone 4 is locked to a specific carrier, everywhere else you can purchase an iPhone 4 (and in some places iPhone 3GS) unlocked, thus allowing use on any network. Handy if you have crap AT&T service in your area.

I will grant that the other main reason is to run cracked apps. I have in the past done this. Why? Well, take for example Navigon's GPS product. It's rather expensive and there isn't a trial version available, or wasn't when I first looked at it. If I want to try it against other SatNav apps I'd need to purchase all of them, and those I did not like I'd either take the hit, or try and get a refund, which I'm told is possible, but there are quite a few hoops to jump through to do it.

I wanted to try a full version of the app, so I downloaded a cracked version. Once I found it was rather good I deleted the cracked version and paid for the real version. The app store does now have in-app purchases, so they could put out a Lite version, perhaps all options, limited to 10 days use, and then you can pay via in-app to "unlock" it (if that's allowed by the app store rules, not totally sure if it is). The problem here is that Apple gets cut of the in-app purchase and companies might not want Apple getting money for doing very little.

If you do JB your phone, then please look at the Cydia info about using openSSH and changing the default passwords for the mobile and root users. Just asking for trouble if you don't.

One of the reasons I JB'd my phone was to see if our apps are doing the correct thing when deleting content. It's one thing checking it on the simulator but another on a device. As the content is within the app's structure it's not something that is publicly accessible, and so a JB is the only way to get at it. It also allows me to do sneaky things to test our apps, for example, changing data in encryption keys and ensuring the application deals gracefully with this.

Last edited by Markus; 03 August 2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03 August 2010, 10:35 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Those of you who have jailbroken your iphone 4, can you install and then open the terminal utility? I've installed it fine but terminal closes immediately you try and open it meaning you can't log in and change the passwords.
yes that happens to me also. I have not tried the terminal with WINSCP yet.

There are far to many cydia apps at the minuter that have not been ported over to IOS4