Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Remote Control Light Switches

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2015, 10:10 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Remote Control Light Switches

Any recommendations out there? Just having a loft extension done and wanting to be able to control the lighting from either an ipad/phone or a remote control device. Might extend it around the house and to plugs etc.

Looking for good quality, asthetically pleasing & reasonable vfm. Seen Lightwave in Maplin - anyone any experience of it?

Thanks
Old 14 July 2015, 07:23 AM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used light wave rf at a couple of clients houses. Easy fit and setup and no issues yet.
Pretty sure you can buy cheaper online than at maplin.
Old 14 July 2015, 07:34 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

get up yer lazy barstool,,,,,,, hahahaha
Old 15 July 2015, 01:13 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Make yourself some kids
Old 16 July 2015, 08:24 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Beastie
Make yourself some kids
Did that but got rid of the wife and she took her... Did have her trained at 3 for "Beer for Daddy"
Old 16 July 2015, 09:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Home kit enabled things are starting to pop up, the big players are still overly expensive but heading in the right direction. I think you need an Apple TV as a gateway if you want to control things outside of the network, cheaper than the time you'll spend setting anything else up.
Old 17 July 2015, 12:53 AM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Not sure if Apple do such a device but iv had remote control light switches in my old house which worked great they could be used as a dimmer also, it was just one remote needed to control up to 8 lights, if I could find it on-line I will send you the link
Old 17 July 2015, 10:56 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've got a few bits of HomeEasy stuff around the house that they don't seem to make any more Also got a LightwaveRF double dimmer + remote switch in the front room, works well enough but the availability of LightWave stuff seems patchy which makes you wonder what the long term support of it might be like. In the early days it all looked quite good on paper but the reality perhaps less so.

I haven't bought any kit yet but I'm looking a Z-Wave as it's an open standard supported by multiple manufacturers so more likely to be around for some time to come (hopefully).
Old 17 July 2015, 11:19 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

From a security point of view, not having to use separate 3rd party apps for all manner of automated home functions, I use GSM for everything, lights (indoor and out), blinds, heating, gates, garages, alarm, PA, cameras from outputs on my alarm system via a dialler. I simply text or phone the dialler to perform the task. It has made all separate remote controls redundant which is so much easier when leaving the home and returning.

I'm not keen on all the separate apps or remotes for this and that controlling my home. Apps have updates that are unusable sometimes and then there's the security risks, manufacturers servers, not to mention WIFI/broadband hiccups. On top of that you usually have to use the same manufacturers equipment and hope they'll be around for a while to support the products.

Depending on your alarm system you could look into a dialler. I have added extra zems to my alarm to increase the amount of outputs but that is optional.
Old 19 July 2015, 10:13 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I use some cheapo stuff to switch on and off the exterior lights at Christmas - simply a device which plugs into a wall outlet and takes a plug for whatever device you need to remotely control. I plug these in in the garage, and they will operate reliable through two block built internal walls. they do not however tick the box of being aesthetically pleasing. I have two hidden behind the fish tank to remotely control the lighting.

I have two other types of remote control sockets / switches installed in my home - one type is from home easy these were a pain to fit as they are glass fronted, I broke one installing it trying to get it flush with the wall. They also require quite a bit of space behind them, so fit the deepest wall box that you can. There are a couple of things I dont like about them. There is a small LED in each of the outlets to let know it is on, this emits way too much light for use in a darkened bedroom. The other thing these do is pick up on an RF signal from somewhere which will switch the socket on. It never switches the outlet off, only ever on. If you can live with this, they do tick all the boxes, I also have a wireless motion sensor and a dusk/dawn sensor which can power on and off these sockets.

The others brand I have used in my home were bought from homebase years ago, and I think may now be discontinued, they are by a company called LightWave.
Old 20 July 2015, 12:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Have gone with Lightwave and so far quite impressed. Just for the heck of it installed a double dimmer in our front room last night, turned on the receiver, set up an account, linked the switch and it just worked Turning on lights/dimming them from my iPhone is a bit freaky/unnecessary really though! Haven't played too much with the scheduling and stuff yet but hopefully as simple as the rest of it. I'm doing all the lights in the loft extension with these controllers, as well as the thermostats for the radiators. Also putting an inline relay into the wall to turn the underfloor heating in the bathroom on, which in turn controlled by a very basic thermostat - that should be a cheap way of scheduling the u/floor heating, certainly a lot less than a programmable thermostat.

They're not that cheap but the switches look quite good (gone for stainless steel). Lightwave seems to be readily available in a variety of places, so shopping around pays off.
Old 20 July 2015, 01:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Good choice https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/li...113700285.html