Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NAS , is this anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 06:35 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NAS , is this anygood?

http://www.dabs.com/products/d-link-...m_content=i800

No drives but is the price good and does it work ok?
Old 22 March 2011, 07:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I think it's £67 on Amazon with the newer version about £2 more.
Old 22 March 2011, 07:53 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

But it's £55 on the ops link
Old 22 March 2011, 07:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
But it's £55 on the ops link
Strange, I'm sure it was over £130 when I clicked. Must be these new contact lenses
Old 22 March 2011, 08:04 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at the QNAP TS-210, but I can't tell the difference between a lot of them.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:53 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
This came out well when Custom PC tested NAS boxes a few months ago ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNOLOGY-Sta...820218&sr=1-19 ... though it could be more than you want to pay.

Dave
I used to have a Synology. Never again. Unreliable, slow, terrible customer support. Swapped it for a Qnap and it has been so much better (faultless in fact).
Old 23 March 2011, 12:00 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I bought a fairly cheap NAS (I forget which one) to use for backing up my PC... it is stupidly slow. I wish I'd not bothered with it TBH.

I'm thinking about replacing it with one of the £200(ish) HP microservers that currently have £100 cashback on offer.
Old 23 March 2011, 12:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I have the d-link one (DNS-323) and it has been very good. There were some problems originally with streaming to uPNP devices but that got sorted 18 months ago with a firmware update.

Steve
Old 23 March 2011, 12:11 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Cheers all, just looked again and they seem to be sold out! 50+ last night on back order today.
Old 24 March 2011, 10:37 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ive tried a lot of NAS m8 and so far all been so so, Bufalo one was kak

I evenyually after rave review got this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

bought 2 hitachi drives and now have 2TB mirorred i have to say the network discovery and stability of it is great, i can also stream the same movie 3 times with no Jitter, it also has many Apps internal like twonky Itunes server etc. It also backs up my 5 Pcs laptops etc seemlessly and silently

but as far as NAS go i couldnt reccomend it enough

and ive been in IT for 17 years.
Old 24 March 2011, 11:22 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

More expensive than the stuff here and what I currenlty have, but my next NAS will be a Drobo!

http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo-fs.php
Old 24 March 2011, 06:29 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

A very quick cheap Nas if you don't need security of raid is the Wd live Nas I have a 2tb one and it is quicker than my USB 2 external drive and I can write bluray isos off it. Also no fan so very quiet. All done on a gigabit LAN though
Old 25 March 2011, 01:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
ive tried a lot of NAS m8 and so far all been so so, Bufalo one was kak

I evenyually after rave review got this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

bought 2 hitachi drives and now have 2TB mirorred i have to say the network discovery and stability of it is great, i can also stream the same movie 3 times with no Jitter, it also has many Apps internal like twonky Itunes server etc. It also backs up my 5 Pcs laptops etc seemlessly and silently

but as far as NAS go i couldnt reccomend it enough

and ive been in IT for 17 years.
I've got two!

Its good, but I have to say. Its not really user friendly IMO. And it is not without its issues;

The GUI/menu pages are sometimes slow to respond.
The user access password control doesn't work properly in Vista/Win7.
'Shadow' (the supplied disk imaging software) is a bit glitchy and if it does crash, it has to redo an entire backup (unless you manually disable and re-enable it).
'ReadyNas photos' is so slow its almost useless (and its not the internet slow upload speed as its fine on Bit-torrent and FTP etc.).

Also whilst it has gigabit LAN, it generally maxes out at 300mb/sec (40MB/sec) on reads and 15MB (120mb/sec), not a problem usually; unless shadow crashes. You won't get much faster for that price anyway, but obviously some people assume 1Gb LAN = 1Gb throughput when actually the NAS's CPU restricts it.

SSL support is only for remote menu access, not secure filesharing. A VPN server would have been really handy - would have saved me having to buy VPN router to access data off it remotely.

And finally, its rather noisy ( 1TBSeagate Pipeline HD .2 and Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 both supplied by netgear), so I keep it hidden away in a cupboard ontop of a thick pad of paper (paper stops the hard drive vibrating through the cupboard).

On the plus side;
Built in automatic redundancy = peace of mind
Bit torrent server works a treat; I've used for sharing stuff between friends:- NEVER use for dodgy stuff, as you can't use it to block rogue peers (peer blocker etc) ).
DLNA /streaming also works a treat.
The ReadyNas support forums are very informative, making up for lack of clarity and excessive use of acronyms in the user manual.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 March 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 25 March 2011, 03:55 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

It all depends what you are trying to achieve.

I went for the RAID card in your existing PC approach.

I'm running a Dell Perc 6/i picked up of ebay for £55 and 4 x 2tb disks in raid 5.

More info here:

http://www.lanse.co.uk/forum/index.p...ic,6564.0.html

I recently upgraded the disks from 4 x 1tb to the 2tb disks using the second channel. Was flawless.

Drobo (which is painfully slow BTW) is one of the few arrays which support upgrading disks & expanding on the fly.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 25 March 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 25 March 2011, 04:02 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I've got two!

Its good, but I have to say. Its not really user friendly IMO. And it is not without its issues;

The GUI/menu pages are sometimes slow to respond.
The user access password control doesn't work properly in Vista/Win7.
'Shadow' (the supplied disk imaging software) is a bit glitchy and if it does crash, it has to redo an entire backup (unless you manually disable and re-enable it).
'ReadyNas photos' is so slow its almost useless (and its not the internet slow upload speed as its fine on Bit-torrent and FTP etc.).

Also whilst it has gigabit LAN, it generally maxes out at 300mb/sec (40MB/sec) on reads and 15MB (120mb/sec), not a problem usually; unless shadow crashes. You won't get much faster for that price anyway, but obviously some people assume 1Gb LAN = 1Gb throughput when actually the NAS's CPU restricts it.

SSL support is only for remote menu access, not secure filesharing. A VPN server would have been really handy - would have saved me having to buy VPN router to access data off it remotely.

And finally, its rather noisy ( 1TBSeagate Pipeline HD .2 and Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 both supplied by netgear), so I keep it hidden away in a cupboard ontop of a thick pad of paper (paper stops the hard drive vibrating through the cupboard).

On the plus side;
Built in automatic redundancy = peace of mind
Bit torrent server works a treat; I've used for sharing stuff between friends:- NEVER use for dodgy stuff, as you can't use it to block rogue peers (peer blocker etc) ).
DLNA /streaming also works a treat.
The ReadyNas support forums are very informative, making up for lack of clarity and excessive use of acronyms in the user manual.

The user access password control doesn't work properly in Vista/Win7 ?

Which you mean i only access from windows 7 and config it there, which panels this ?

if you change to Jumbo Frames and your switch supports it the Thru put increases.

Nice to get more mem in it also

It all depends what his needs are, reason i go for this over PC is i have 4 other people accessing it and i hate leaveing a PC on, this is small hides away and does the job
Old 25 March 2011, 05:39 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

What I was looking at doing was have the "nas" attached to the home router and be able to up/download files/pictures etc remotely i.e from my netbook or my office computer, I don't have a fixed pc at home (when i'm away) just netbook/laptop.
I do have the "cloud" backup for photos etc picasa/google, but Like the idea of my own "hard copy" at home.

Last edited by Ray T; 25 March 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26 March 2011, 10:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
The user access password control doesn't work properly in Vista/Win7 ?

Which you mean i only access from windows 7 and config it there, which panels this ?
Its documented:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.ph..._with_Vista%3F

(although the reg edits mentioned above do not work for me)

This also hints at the issues I have (NV+, Duo is similar): http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...=36995&start=0

Multiple PCs with generic/no log-in. But requires access to password protected shares that is not the same as the user using that computer. XP works ok, Win7 and Vista doesn't. For now I've given up and just not bothered having passwords and kept the secure stuff elsewhere (somewhat counterintuitive, but hey ho, I've wasted too much time messing as it is).

Don't get me wrong, its a good piece of equipment. But it just doesn't seamlessly integrate quite as it should. And at a guess I doubt any other NASs are any better for that price.

Originally Posted by Ray T
What I was looking at doing was have the "nas" attached to the home router and be able to up/download files/pictures etc remotely i.e from my netbook or my office computer, I don't have a fixed pc at home (when i'm away) just netbook/laptop.
I do have the "cloud" backup for photos etc picasa/google, but Like the idea of my own "hard copy" at home.
For the basics its fine. As a open fileserver/storage device, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Its just when trying to use the more advanced features issues start to arise (like the password protection on certain files).

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 March 2011 at 10:26 AM.