Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hp nas to speed up servers?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2005, 07:21 PM
Conky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp nas to speed up servers?

Hi, I currently have about 3000 users ( about 400 log in at any one given time) running 2003 server on 2 x p4 3ghz xeon 3,gig ram, 5 x 146 scsi raid 5 config , quad network card, main server is slowish from around 8.30 till 10 ish in the morning, once users are in the system they are fine apart from sometimes slow saving files etc. The server in question holds all the data/ and roaming profiles so its very busy when users are loggin in, from miday system is mega quick - just the mornings is crap. I am considering purchasing a Hp nas, moving the data and profiles to this - Will this solve the problem?? The server is also the Main ad , is the software install point, I am being told to split the data from the servers etc and this will solve the problem . I am not so sure , I know the network is sound, we ghost pcs across the lan to any point at around 600k per sec and all is well. I have run perlogs and all morning disk que etc are around 80% to 100% and later in the day when things are good they are about 25% with a few peaks here and there.

Any Ideas would be very helpfull, as I am about to set fire to the server in question!!

James
Old 12 December 2005, 07:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Use a lower spec server for AD, ditch roaming profiles altogether and use folder redirection to point My Documents and Applications to the nas if you must.

All IMHO, of course. I hate roaming profiles, they're too slow and bulky to be of any use.

Which nas are you looking at? We have a couple of EVA3000's. Good peice of kit although we have had one occasion where one of them lost it's config completely while running. Took a complete cold restart of the EVA, disk trays, management server and switch modules to bring it back. Even HP don't know what happened, no alarms or faults logged.

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 12 December 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12 December 2005, 07:57 PM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

The spec you've got sounds fine as just a data server. However is it also acting as a Domain Controller? We had some of our smaller regional offices doing both on a single box and were fine until they reached a certain user/data volume and then they virtually ground to halt.

We put in a second server as a DC and DCPromo'd the data server down to a stand alone server. It's been fine ever since. We're now pro-actively doing this in the other small offices before the same thing happens as they continue to grow.

There was an artical on the MS site about this but I can't find it atm.

Cheers