Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New battery - Laptop going slooooow

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2010, 08:47 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New battery - Laptop going slooooow

Bought a new battery (P53IN4) for my laptop (Rock - Pegasus 665).

Battery charges ok to 100% but when I disconnect from the mains, the laptop seems to slow right down

Never did it on the old battery Is the new battery a dud?
Old 29 January 2010, 09:54 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might not be powerful enough or the power settings could have it running at lowest performance.

Right click desk top, properties, screensaver, power options.. I think
Old 29 January 2010, 10:53 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on power settings. If your previous battery was dud and you only ran it on mains you may find the power settings on battery saver rather than performance.
Old 30 January 2010, 10:06 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Power settings haven't and don't change between the two batteries.

Power output details on batteries are the same on both. i.e. Li-ion 10.8V 4400mAh

Looks like the new one might be a dud!
Old 31 January 2010, 09:18 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

What people are suggesting is that the device runs the CPU at a far slower speed either when on (all) battery power, or specifically only with this battery.

It is going to be something of this sort causing your problem because PCs either work or they dont. They run at full speed (saying this might be confusing), or they dont run at all; but they wont ever run less quickly as a result of problems. A computer will run at full speed until it dies, its the operating system that runs on it, and the applications that run on the operating system, that slow down as they become 'un-optimised'.

If the machine cripples the CPU speed when the battery power is running low then this might indicate that the new battery is at fault. If the battery proves t be good then it will almost certainly be a configuration issue.
Old 31 January 2010, 10:23 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

What I did notice is, with the "original" battery, with a couple of programs running the CPU usage is at around 4-5% when "idling" climbing slightly when I start moving the mouse etc.

With the "new" battery it idles at about 40% then as soon as I start doing anything it jumps to 60% + even up to 80%!!
Old 27 July 2011, 04:59 PM
DrTeeth
Scooby Newbie

Did you get this fixed? I am having the same problems and I have been through 3 batteries.

DrT
Old 27 July 2011, 07:35 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Afraid not, I gave up in the end. Put the original battery back in and just run it off the mains all the time........and then bought an iPad which made my laptop pretty redundant other than syncing iTunes anyway.

I think it was down to the "new" battery being a dud (cheap Chinese copy ) I tried to save some money and get one from eBay rather than getting a "proper one" but after sending it back at my own cost and receiving another one it did exactly the same thing.

I think the only thing to do would be bite the bullet and pay top dollar for a genuine one but as I use my iPad all the time and I'm thinking of getting a Mac for the whole family to use I don't really see the point.

Sorry I couldn't be any help.
Old 28 July 2011, 05:07 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Both of these problems can only be down to Power Options / Power Schemes - as has been stated before batteries either supply power or they don't...

Check this out: http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalA...cref=TEC155369
Old 28 July 2011, 05:24 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

The link doesn't seem to work for me, just brings up a blank page. (scrap that, working now)

Regarding the power options, am I missing something? I go into the power options window and with either batteries installed the settings are the same. They don't change with either battery installed, but the CPU usage goes from 4-5% at idle with the original battery and jumps to 40% at idle when I change battery. The power settings are still the same though. Is there somewhere else that I can look to check power options?
Old 28 July 2011, 08:20 PM
DrTeeth
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
The link doesn't seem to work for me, just brings up a blank page. (scrap that, working now)

Regarding the power options, am I missing something? I go into the power options window and with either batteries installed the settings are the same. They don't change with either battery installed, but the CPU usage goes from 4-5% at idle with the original battery and jumps to 40% at idle when I change battery. The power settings are still the same though. Is there somewhere else that I can look to check power options?
You are correct, it has NOTHING to do with the power options as they do not change between battery swaps. The reason the CPU usage jumps is that it is running slower. My usage hits 90% (with the new battery) as the clockspeed/FSB had dropped to 10% - measured with HMInfo32.

I did not use cheap batteries at all. The 'OEM' one was also generic - nothing special. Able to change the CPU speed at will by chaning the battery only - and I have been though three batteries from different companies.

DrT
Old 28 July 2011, 09:27 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

So which "Power Scheme" is your machine using when on battery, and which is it using when on AC power?
Old 28 July 2011, 10:22 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

It's set to portable/Laptop
Old 29 July 2011, 08:10 AM
DrTeeth
Scooby Newbie

@Dr NO

1) the power settings do not change when the battery does
2) Power settings changed to 100% CPU at all times WITHOUT effect
3) Two distros of linux on same PC affected by this issue.

The issue is NOT related to one OS's power settings...QED. If everything is constant apart from the battery, how can you believe otherwise?

DrT
Old 29 July 2011, 09:35 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, run CPU-Z when on power & then again on battery.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z...s-history.html

It might show a different multiplier or clock speed.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 29 July 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 29 July 2011, 08:42 PM
DrTeeth
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

I used HWinfo32. I do not have the battery to test any more but all three showed a reduction in CPU/FSB speeds. The original battery was nothing special and the three replacements that I tried were of all different manufacturer. They are quite common when one finds out the other laptops that used the same chassis.

OT - When I lived abroad for a while, I had a Subaru 700. A 5 seater 5 door car with a two cylinder 700cc engine that was a brilliant runner and a mini-killer.

Cheers

DrT
Old 30 July 2011, 09:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I know with our Dell Vostro in the workshop; if it detects a non genuine battery or power supply it comes up with a pop up message saying speed maybe affected.

Its also telling us the genuine battery is 'worn out' even when used solely on mains. This makes me think there is something hardware wise within the battery and Laptop's BIOS that configures the voltage/cpu speed independantly of the software/OS depending on the power source and if its genuine.

I suspect there is a bit of hardwired obselecence and anti-competition built in.

Bit like chips within printer cartridges to prevent you using refils...FFS even our Glade Freshmatic air-fresherner has a opto-switch to detect if its using genuine refils

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 July 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 30 July 2011, 05:33 PM
DrTeeth
Scooby Newbie

You could very weell be right, except that the original battery is as generic as they come. It is made by Gallopwire and the only recognisable and on it is in the statement that the cells are made by Panasonic.

From the research I have done, this laptop is *identical* to many of its brothers out there and the only mod is the retailers badge placed on the chassis.

It is a very fast computer and I can see it having several years of use left (it was bought in about 2003)...just wish I could get a new battery. The original's capacity is less than half the original now.

Drt