Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fire Fox Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2009, 09:29 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Fox Virgin

I have always been a IE person but now im using FF can some one advise on what you can do with it to gain its full benefits? I have only installed ad block plus but have no idea how to stop the ads on SNet. I have a built in google toolbar and a favourite list so what else can i do to make it more interesting and customised?
Old 26 February 2009, 09:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

do a google search for ff addons, theres a whole community of things out there

mart
Old 26 February 2009, 10:18 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Did you subscribe to any of the blocking lists in ABP?

I added the UK dictionary for the spellchecker, Downthemall as a download manager, Foxmarks to sync and backup my bookmarks, PDF download to modify the way PDF's are handled, Video Downloadhelper which is useful if you use sites like youtube or other flash based video sites and want to download/convert the videos, and ie view lite which gives you a "open in IE" option for those recalcitrant sites that don't work with FF. These can all be found by using "Tools, add-ons" in the main menu.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mozilla
Old 26 February 2009, 11:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Two that i would recommend are:

NoScript - which disables scripts by default, so that you can choose which web-sites can actually run "code" under your browser. It is quite scary how many different scripts run on even the most innocent of web-sites. For example, as i am posting here, scripts are trying to be run from...

ibpxl.com
skimlinks.com
ibsrv.net
doubleclick.net

...as well as scoobynet.com!

RefControl - which determines whether a web-site is allowed to see where you have come from. For example, if you click on a link within a post, the web-site that you go to (or image that you view) gets to see that you came from scoobynet. So if you were to go from www.debbieduzdallas.com (oops, i had to slightly change the initial URL 'cos it is NSFW!) to www.songsofpraise.co.uk, the latter would know a little about your browsing habits that you may prefer keeping secret

mb
Old 26 February 2009, 11:30 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Just go to Mozilla.com and click on the ad-ons link at the top of the page, all the extras are categorised etc so you should be able to find exactly what you want pretty quickly, they have something for everything.

I can't recommend NOSCRIPT enough, good bit of kit!
Old 27 February 2009, 09:07 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Thanks guys thats great. Whats the deal with scripts? are they dodgy, none the less i will install it.

Refcontrol sounds good, i like the idea of other sites not knowing what you get up to as i do a lot of price comparison.
Old 27 February 2009, 09:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
Thanks guys thats great. Whats the deal with scripts? are they dodgy, none the less i will install it.
Scripts (Java, ActiveX under IE etc.) are used for the more advanced features of web pages. Basic HTML can display text in various ways and images but not much else.

Flash, videos (e.g. on YouTube), PDFs etc. all need a little program to allow them to work, and those programs are typically kicked off by a script. Click on Tools/Add-ons to see some of the plugins (programs) that are loaded in your copy of Firefox - waiting to be run by a script.

So when you first install NoScript for example, YouTube won't work - but you then click on the Icon (or right-click for the menu) and "Allow youtube.com", so that only that particular website can run scripts. Once a script has been enabled, others (initially disabled) may appear on the list - so you might need to enable some more to fully activate some of the more complex web-sites.

Don't worry if you make a mistake, because you can always disable a script again, or re-enable it - so have a play around to see what happens. Also, if you go to a new (dodgy) web-site you can "temporarily enable" a script, so when you exit Firefox, the setting disappears and the script gets disabled again by default.

If people knew some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of their "web browsing experience" they may think twice about how "cool" the Interweb is!!

mb
Old 28 February 2009, 08:41 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Adblock Plus
Adblock filter updater
Flashblock