Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Website reviews part II

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 05:55 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Website reviews part II

Hi all,

You might remember I posted some time ago asking for opinions of my new website? Well, it has been redone in HTML (rather than flash) and I have started to get hits from MSN, Google is dragging its heels somewhat.

I would appreciate it if people could give me any feedback on www.drc.uk.com.

We design and install Home Cinemas, multi-room audio visual systems and control systems so the intended customers need to have a bit of cash.

The copy was written with search engines in mind but still needs to be readable so any feedback appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dave
Old 22 August 2006, 05:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I would say the menu down the left hand side is not very obvious as a place to click.

Steve
Old 22 August 2006, 06:06 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave (again ) Not keen on the HTML produced by Zen, its poor to be honest, tables for layout, poor use of alt tags and title tags(none).
They've not done as good a job as they could but if I remember correctly from when we spoke some time back, the price wasn't outrageous.

The scrolly up down arrows dont work at all well on my mac either....

Rich
Old 22 August 2006, 06:14 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
Hi Dave (again ) Not keen on the HTML produced by Zen, its poor to be honest, tables for layout, poor use of alt tags and title tags(none).
They've not done as good a job as they could but if I remember correctly from when we spoke some time back, the price wasn't outrageous.

Rich
Hi mate.

They are still working on the SEO stuff but I'll mention the tags.

Interested about the up/down arrows. I'll take a look at a mates later.

Dave
Old 22 August 2006, 06:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB

Rich
Rich,
Do they work if you got to Residential or Programming -> Crestron?
I've tried them in Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) and Firefox 1.5.0.6 on the above two locations and they do work.

Dave,
With regards to the arrows, if possible, hide/grey them out if there isn't scrollable text on the page, as that would make it clearer there isn't more information.
Old 22 August 2006, 10:00 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Marcus, one of the pages went into a spasm of some sort as though I was repeatedly hovering over the scroll buttons, naturally I can't now reproduce that !
Old 22 August 2006, 10:39 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

The text on the Crestron Programming page for me continues down the page to the edge of the background.
Old 23 August 2006, 01:15 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

I would say the menu down the left hand side is not very obvious as a place to click.

Steve
Check out the http://www.drc.uk.com/contact.html page! The menu disappears against the background clutter.

Also, it seems to be optimised for 1024x768 but they haven't sized the window properly as it creates an annoying vertical scroll bar down the side of the browser (firefox/winxp/1024x768)

I've just checked the graphics out - all he's doing is putting in a single massive background and slapping some text on top of it.

Probably created by a graphic designer who's still learning HTML.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 23 August 2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 23 August 2006, 12:20 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k

I've just checked the graphics out - all he's doing is putting in a single massive background and slapping some text on top of it.

Probably created by a graphic designer who's still learning HTML.
I originally had the site created in Flash. The new website was created as you say by a graphic with text over it as this was deemed to be more search engine friendly than flash only (i.e. just a picture) yet still retained the original site design. The developers of the new HTML site are very experienced but are perhaps doing things in a slightly unorthodox fashion due to the way the project has matured (i.e. taking it on half way through and amending someone elses work).

I'll look in to the contact page issue. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 23 August 2006, 12:38 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Dave - I think they have probably done about as good a job as they could for the price - Let us not forget they were just doing an HTML version of a flash site, it wasn't designer like this by them...

I just think most experienced web developers would not have done it that way and I don't think a decent designer would have designed the site like that in the first place. It is quite restrictive, for example look at what happens when you increase the font size. It just goes completely out of shape.
That said it's not bad, it's just not as good as it could be!

They are missing some fundamental methods in their HTML though.
Old 23 August 2006, 03:32 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Check out the http://www.drc.uk.com/contact.html page! The menu disappears against the background clutter.
Yes, the menu needs something behind it, even if it's a semi-transparent box. As spectrum48k has stated, it can be lost amongst the background.
Old 23 August 2006, 03:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

get rid of the up and down arrows completely and have nothing but a text box, if there is more text than fits in the box put a scroll bar in. Would be much more user friendly IMO