Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to Format Laptop C:

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2006, 03:03 PM
Remster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Format Laptop C:

My laptop has been playing up for a while now and will crash with a blue screen of death at random times. I've tried all sorts of registry check programs etc. but to no avail . I think the only way forward is to try a clean install of Windows XP.

I have originals of XP and all other software but I didn't get a drivers or boot disk with the laptop. Can I burn all the drivers from my laptop to CD?

Whats the best way to sort this out?
Old 23 August 2006, 03:20 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

make sure you can set "boot from CD" in the bios.

yes, burn all your drivers to cd.

work on the theory that the internet connectivity will be that last thing that works
Old 23 August 2006, 04:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What version of XP do you have on your CD? If it's not XP SP2 then I'd try and build a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD.

My reasoning for this is simply that the original XP install won't have a firewall built in, so when you get the network drivers on and you connect a network cable you could be hit by something like the blaster worm very quickly. As an experiment we did this on our network and had the PC infected in about 2 mins after plugging it into the network.

This is the site I found that details how to slipstream.

The main reason for the above was that the original version of XP did not have the windows firewall, wheras SP2 does, and it's not the best firewall in the world but it does protect against a fair few things. So it would at least allow you to get onto the internet and download the various updates you need.

I'd also suggest looking at Autopatcher as it's a great way of getting your new XP2 setup updated to the latest (or within a month) windows updates. It's basically a download that contains all the Windows Updates for SP2 (plus a few other usefull things, which can be optionally installed). Make sure you get the latest Full version of Autopatcher (looks like August is the latest full version) and if there isn't a full version for the current month, get the current month's Update version.
The main advantage here is that some windows updates require you to reboot after they are installed, so instead of being able to download, for example, 30 updates and install them before rebooting, you might need to download and install the first two, then reboot, install another five, then reboot, and so on. It's a real pain. With Autopatcher you install all 30 in one swoop.

As for the latop drivers. I'd go to the manufactuers site and see if there are downloads for them. See if there are not only network and video drivers, but also if there are any BIOS updates available for the laptop. As we're starting from scratch we might as well download and install the very latest drivers we can. You might be lucky in that XP has drivers for your video/network/sound interfaces, so you may not need the drivers you downloaded, however the OEM ones could enable features that the XP ones don't so it's still worth installing them.

Armed with your laptop drivers, an XP SP2 install CD and a CD with Autopatcher, you should have your laptop back up and running

Last edited by Markus; 23 August 2006 at 04:35 PM.