Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacBook

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 09:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacBook

Anyone had their hands on a MacBook Intel Duo machine?

Interested in views - some reviews are mixed saying it is very fast BUT only with a limited amount of software and interpreted apps through Rosetta run more slowly.

Feedback would be appreciated
Old 30 May 2006, 11:05 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

There's a lot of opinions on here
http://forums.macrumors.com/

Some good, some bad.
I've ordered one though
Old 30 May 2006, 12:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
Apps such as Microsoft Office 2004 and Adobe's Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and others) are currently not optimized for the new Intel Macs. This means they will run through Rosetta, which means they won't be as quick as they would be when running native.

The thing to bear in mind is that the Macbook is quicker than the iBook it replaces, so that could make up for it running through rosetta.

I've run photoshop and office here and they seem fairly snappy (1.83GhZ Intel iMac with 1.5GB RAM - I'd strongly recommend at least 1GB RAM as a minimum) but nowhere near as quick as they would be when native. Steve Jobs said when the intel machines were released that for the casual user it should be ok, but for graphics professionals they'd not be overly happy.

As for limited software, it depends on what you actually want to do with the machine.
Old 30 May 2006, 01:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

One of the students at college has bought one He bought it with the intention to use Music/Audio Apps.....

As yet, there's still quite a few compatability issues from what I can see.

Personally, I looking at getting one, but not until next year. By then the issues will have been sorted (I hope!) I can remember OSX when it first came out. I had Kernel Panics EVERY day!!

Dan
Old 30 May 2006, 03:58 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I'm probably going to get one next month. I love the black colour but can't justify the price difference. Way to much for the Specs.

Are they any issues with cooling/temps when running windows? Heard there were some for the MacBook Pro.

Also I understand that the memory and Hard drive are much easier (ie, even basic user can) to upgrade.
Old 30 May 2006, 06:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
I'm probably going to get one next month. I love the black colour but can't justify the price difference. Way to much for the Specs.

Are they any issues with cooling/temps when running windows? Heard there were some for the MacBook Pro.

Also I understand that the memory and Hard drive are much easier (ie, even basic user can) to upgrade.
Yup, upgrade of RAM and HD are very very easy indeed. I had to replace the HD in my iBook and you have to basically dismantle the machine, not something you'd ideally want on the consumer model of a machine, you'd want it to be super easy to do, and thankfully it now is.

This vid shows you how easy it is.
Old 30 May 2006, 06:55 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus.

Forgot I had seen that video!! Is it possible to do-it-yourself upgrade the optical drive? I imagine that is much harder - and I wouldn't want to invalidate warranty that way.

I currently have a G4 iBook - considered upgrading HDD - read some articles and decided against it!!

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2006, 07:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this site. Seems to already have guides for the Macbook. Looks like it's easier than with the iBook, but not as easy as RAM or Hard Drive replacement.

Have a look on that site for the G4 iBook upgrades as well. I did mine the other week and it was a pain, but it did work.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:53 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Markus.

Don't think I'll bother with the Optical drive....nearly as many screws as the iBook G4 HDD change!

Good site though, might come in handy for some older Mac upgrades
Old 30 May 2006, 09:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem at all. I had a couple of screws left over from the HD change, plus I never moved the little torx screws attached to the hard drive over, which I've not just done, plus found where the other screws were meant to go
Old 31 May 2006, 02:20 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

What problems are they still with intel mac's?
The only one thats a major is Adobe stuff. As for office what does it matter no one can type at over 12Mbits so the fact that it runs under rosetta doent matter. As for the ram yea id always go for 1Gb plus now
Old 01 June 2006, 12:57 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Office is a lot more than just Word.

I do a lot of multimedia presentations in Powerpoint and that can be powersapping.

I need PPT as all my clients use it.
Old 01 June 2006, 01:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
I've had a thought. Have a look here and see if there's an Apple center near to you, give em a ring to make sure they have a macbook there, plus ensure Office 2004 is on there (and anything else you might want to try out) then pop down with your docs on a cd and give the machine a whirl, if you take your existing laptop with you then you could do a side by side comparison.
Old 01 June 2006, 09:48 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Honestly office runs fine under rosetta there is hardly any difference IMO and if that still fails you can run PPT's through Keynote which is native
Old 01 June 2006, 10:31 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Office 2004 runs just fine. Its not exactly a taxing set of apps.

Quark 6.5 runs fine, but Adobe CS2 does see the beachball quite a bit.

I'd recommend 2gb for the Macbook and the iMacs