Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Macbook vs macbook Pro for Music Production

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2008, 05:10 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macbook vs macbook Pro for Music Production

Thinking of getting a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I'd want to use it to run Reason and Live. Could a Macbook handle it?

Looking at the specs on Apple's website, they look similar (e.g. both upgradeable to 4MB RAM) except the HDD, which only runs at 5400 rpm on the Macbook but there's an option of a 7200 rpm on the Pro.

Obviously a big price difference- Pro is double the price of the Macbook. How much extra performace do you get for that?

Thanks,

Father Jack Hackett.
Old 23 May 2008, 05:30 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

It's an interesting question, I too am considering upgrading my dual proc G5 to an MBP but in all honesty the MB would probably do.
You could get a quick external disk perhaps although its only FW400 on the MB.
I would use a second screen on whatever I get and the MB screen may be a little too small for me (1280 by 800 vs 1680 by 1050), I have loads of windows open all the time.
The MB just doesn't seem very 'pro' to me, probably a vanity thing but I will be going for the MBP. The graphics card is also better (but will I even notice.... doubt it...) Basic model doesnt have superdrive and the RAM is down but they are good little machines.

Look up Scoobydoo555 he does music stuff I believe...
Old 23 May 2008, 09:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

you rang?

Yeh, I'm using a MBP alongside my DP G5.
IF you're just using Reason and Live, then yeh, a Macbook will do it. However, it will become obsolete quicker (IMHO).
Reason 4 is quite an intensive package, as is Ableton Live. The Macbook may struggle a bit. The MacBook has a smaller HD too.
Personally, I can't STAND the keyboard on the MacBook. The MBP is pure loveliness!!

The other thing to think of is that Reason will get you so far (then you'll see the light, as it only scratches the surface of what you should be doing!!!), then you really need to be looking at either Logic Studio or Cubase (puke!)

Then you'll REALLY see the difference between the two machines. The MBP will then leave the MacBook behind.

Don't get me wrong - the Macbook is a fantastic bit of kit, but the Pro is pro for a reason
If you're spending money, do it right, and do it "once".....

All IMHO, of course

Dan
Old 24 May 2008, 02:59 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Guys don't forget you cab get a bvrand new MacBook Pro fro £849 ex vat from MacWarehouse.

AllanB
Old 25 May 2008, 11:36 AM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dan - what is it that Logic does that Reason doesn't? Not being challenging here, just interested to know what I'm missing and whether I should investigate.

AllanB - if I get a MBP I will upgrade to 2.6 GHz, 4MB and get the 7200rpm HDD. How much would that be at Mac Warehouse (1,909 inc VAT at Apple)?

Cheers!
Old 25 May 2008, 02:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

No probs

Well, Reason is a great package (I actually DO like it), but to put it into perspective, it is the tip of the iceberg.

The audio editing blows Reason out of the water.
The ReDrum is pretty cool, but Logic has the same thing built in, only better, and with a synthesis capability.
The editing functions are SOO much more useable in Logic ie they do more

There's a reason why Reason is so cheap (in comparison)

FWIW, I use Reason through a thing called Rewire (the ability to sync and use Reason plugins - softsynths, inside Logic)

That's just the start really......

But don't take my word for it - also look at Cubase (you might even like it!! ), and I didn't mention it before, as it's more "audio", but ProTools. Again, the daft thing is that Logic pretty much does everything thing that ProTools does.

Dan
Old 26 May 2008, 01:14 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan, that sounds pretty interesting. Proper audio editing would be good. Also a decent sequencer - the sequencer in Reason 3.5 is crap. I don't have Reason 4 yet, but from what I can see the sequencer doesn't look much better, though they claim it is.

Cheers,

Father Jack.