Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iMac / MacBook page loading problem.

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 05:52 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iMac / MacBook page loading problem.

I am finding that there is the occasional web site that I cannot connect to and load using my MacBook, I just get a blank page and then the time out and unable to connect message. BUT. If i use the iMac then the website loads just as it should. The router is the BThomehub and the iMac is connected via ethernet cable whilst the MacBook is wireless. It is the same with both Safari and Firefox on both computers.
It appears that there is some setting on the macbook that differs from the imac ? All the other functions are OK although Scoobynet is painfully slow on the Macbook.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

JBL
Old 15 February 2008, 06:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, let's switch things around and see what happens.

1) Unplug the ethernet cable in the iMac and configure it's wireless settings to match those of the MacBook.

2) Plug the ethernet cable from the iMac into the Macbook and configure it's ethernet settings to match those that the iMac had

See if the iMac then has the same problems as the MacBook, and see if the Macbook then magically surfs with no problems.

My first thought would be that it's an issue with wireless networking as the iMac is wired and the Macbook is wireless. Trying the above steps may show if this is the case. If it is, then I'd expect the Macbook to be fine and the iMac to exhibit the issues the Macbook had.
Old 18 February 2008, 01:51 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay in replying, busy weekend !!!!
Can't use the iMac wireless as it doesn't have an airport card/chip installed.
Mac book is still not loading when connected by ethernet so I presume that it is not a wireless issue.

Imac and Macbook are both running OS 10.4.11
I have now deleted all Firefox files and am just using Safari on the macbook.
I have used the original install disc 1 to run /verify/repair Utilities on Permissions and Disk...all are OK
I ran apple hardware test...all OK

Yet the problem remains... some pages open on the iMac but not the macbook.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Brian
Old 18 February 2008, 02:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One additional test for the Macbook. When it's connected via ethernet, go into Network preference pane and turn off the airport card, thus ensuring you only have an ethernet connection. If you didn't do this then it's possible that the network connection being used was still the wireless one, hence why you still saw the problem. So, turn off airport and see if you still have a problem. If you don't, sounds like a wireless issue.

If it is a wireless issue, then you could have a look at the airport settings in the network control panel. If "use interface robustness" is enabled, turn it off, reboot, see if that makes a difference.
It's possible the airport card might be faulty, so, if it's still under warranty, it might be worth talking to Apple.