Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys Wireless-G NIC and XP

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 07:28 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linksys Wireless-G NIC and XP

I have been trying for a few days now to get the above (PCI card) to work with XP but I have not got it working yet
The Linksys Wireless-G broadband router with speed booster appears to be working ok.
Looking round on the net on a few reviews some people are saying it worked fine first time and others are saying that it wont work with XP even though it states on the specifications it is compatible.
I have tried following the instructions and installing the card first then letting XP install the drivers and I have tried installing the software first (for older versions of windows) and installing the card after - the system monitor works but it says "No association with AP". Using both these methods device manager shows that the drivers are installed and working.
I have been onto the Linksys helpline for the best part of an hour and they could not resolve it.
Has anyone any experience of this and got any tips or should I just take the card back and get a new one and if the same happens again just go for a different make?

Ayde

Last edited by Ayde; 21 February 2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 21 February 2005, 11:50 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Good old Linksys.... lol
I have a WAG54G router here with a WPC54G pcmcia card for my laptop and have had,on occasions similar problems to what you mention.Alright,mine's pcmcia and yours is a pci card but I would have thought the Linksys drivers would work in a similar way.Do you have a linksys icon in the system tray?
If so,try to recreate the wireless connection and see how you get on?
Couple of other things -

Are you using WEP? If so,are you using the correct key and does the PC match that of the router 100%?
SSID broadcasting enabled/disabled?
MAC address filtering? (If so,have you given access to your pci cards mac address?)

Have you been into the config of the router to check things (Or maybe change) some of these settings.I assume you know how to do this? - Fire up internet explorer,type 192.168.1.1 (Default username and password is admin for both fields)

Linksys tech support is absolutely sh1te so don't worry,you ain't alone on that one (Still waiting for an RMA for my SECOND faulty wireless gaming adapter and that's been nearly two weeks now!! )
Old 22 February 2005, 09:41 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Good old Linksys.... lol
I have a WAG54G router here with a WPC54G pcmcia card for my laptop and have had,on occasions similar problems to what you mention.Alright,mine's pcmcia and yours is a pci card but I would have thought the Linksys drivers would work in a similar way.Do you have a linksys icon in the system tray?
If so,try to recreate the wireless connection and see how you get on?
Couple of other things -

Are you using WEP? If so,are you using the correct key and does the PC match that of the router 100%?
SSID broadcasting enabled/disabled?
MAC address filtering? (If so,have you given access to your pci cards mac address?)

Have you been into the config of the router to check things (Or maybe change) some of these settings.I assume you know how to do this? - Fire up internet explorer,type 192.168.1.1 (Default username and password is admin for both fields)

Linksys tech support is absolutely sh1te so don't worry,you ain't alone on that one (Still waiting for an RMA for my SECOND faulty wireless gaming adapter and that's been nearly two weeks now!! )
Disabled the encryption for now (wanted to get it working first),
SSID enabled for now as above,
Checked. double checked and checked again and again my PCI MAC address in MAC filtering.
I have had the Linksys icon in my tray but it was unable to make a connection in both infrastructure or ad-hoc mode.
PCI card is going back tomorrow, I will try one more - if no joy with that one, I will go for another brand and hopefully have more luck.

Thanks for the advice

Ayde
Old 22 February 2005, 10:19 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Save the hassle and get a Draytek router!

THe linksys routers I've had experience ALL drop their connections intermittently. Nightmare. Switched to a Draytek Vigor 2600G, kept the Linksys PCI network card and not a single dropped connection since.
Old 24 February 2005, 04:07 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Changed the card for a new one - still the same So I think its the routers turn now
Old 24 February 2005, 10:28 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Dump the lot - Linksys was very poor when I had it. In the end I ended up selling my router and PCI card on e-bay and bought a Belkin router and PCI card. Works so much better in so far as the router has never dropped once. The Linksys dropped every 15 mins or so.
Old 24 February 2005, 10:38 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Dump the lot - Linksys was very poor when I had it. In the end I ended up selling my router and PCI card on e-bay and bought a Belkin router and PCI card. Works so much better in so far as the router has never dropped once. The Linksys dropped every 15 mins or so.
I dropped the Belkin kit in favour of Linksys gear, massive improvement in stability so there doesn't seem to be a general rule!
Old 24 February 2005, 11:25 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

THE RULE IS BUY DRAYTEK!!!
Old 27 February 2005, 10:14 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Got it working finally
Got rid of XP and went back to 2k, working fine now with a decent signal strength.