Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless broadband - problems with big files

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2003, 12:37 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Got my wireless broadband access up and running over Christmas (thanks to helpers on here). No probs with sharing the connection or with slow/dropped connections generally. However, I was trying to download latest Java SDK last night/this morning and realised that the file transfer was repeatedly crashing at around 2 to 5Mb complete. Eventually had to download it at work and burn a CD.

Don't know if this is a known problem with wireless kit, that large file transfers can get interrupted or time out? Perhaps an FTP connection might have been more reliable (this was HTTP transfer). Any other ideas?

My setup (in order) is:

NTL/Pace digibox
Netgear router
Linksys WAP
(thin air )
Linksys WAP
Netgear hub
PC (W98/NT4), Mac (OS9.2)...

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 24 January 2003, 12:42 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Use a download manager, like Flashget? Getright?
Old 24 January 2003, 12:56 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Just a quick word of warning.

Be carefull with your wirless BB LAN. Is it encripted? keep the range low.

Newbie hackers are now picking up on the trend of hijacking wireless LANS for annonomous connections. They are simply scanning for signs of connections whilst out with their laptops and using other peoples lines to do what they please. Just take a walk around Manchester or London with a scanner (if you have one) or check for warchalking mark to see how popular it has become. Or better still try it for yourself and learn a bit about the technology and how to secure it
Old 24 January 2003, 03:59 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

I've enabled the encryption and changed the default passwords. The only thing I haven't done yet is set the "only allow connections from the following adaptors...". Don't think I can alter the range but I'll check.

Seems like the ultimate defence for anyone looking to deny criminal activity detected by their ISP...

I see that Bush is enacting legislation on this stuff to prevent a potential national security threat.

G