Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Come on, own up.

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 08:22 AM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Come on, own up.

Who is it that is repeatedly, and I mean repeatedly, trying to log in as me ? You must have had 30 odd goes so far. I have your IP number now. So **** off.

Last edited by User Name; 07 February 2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07 February 2004, 08:45 AM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

Would someone like to tell me why on earth this has been moved to computer related !!!!!!!!!!!! Who moved it ? How is it computer related ???? The fact they use one to access the internet maybe ? I posted it in a section where it was likely to be seen by said person and not just the pasty geeks who post in the computer related section. If I had 3000 posts under my name it would not have been moved.
Old 07 February 2004, 09:01 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stfu hth
Old 07 February 2004, 09:21 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what you're on about here but it won't be to do with SN, so I've moved it here.

There are various tools you can use to try and trace who is attempting to log in. A bit more info would be helpful, such as is this a standalone machine or network & what are they actually trying to do. If they know your name, then it may be someone you know.

Also goto

grc.com

and run Shields Up probe to see what vulnerabilities you have open. Sounds to me that you're broadcasting Netbios over the internet, which is not a good idea.

www.zonelarm.com for a free personal firewall
Old 07 February 2004, 09:23 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

User Name

A bit more respect would be nice

I moved it because it is NOT scooby related

It is likely to be down to your PC not being secure enough to withstand attacks from the internet - that is Computer Related

I'm prepared (as are others) to attempt to help you but not if you give it attitude
Old 07 February 2004, 01:17 PM
JohnnyRob
Scooby Regular

Never mind, eh...
Old 08 February 2004, 05:44 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
User Name

A bit more respect would be nice

It is likely to be down to your PC not being secure enough to withstand attacks from the internet - that is Computer Related

I'm prepared (as are others) to attempt to help you but not if you give it attitude
I think what User Name is saying, is that someone is trying to logon to Scoobynet as User Name.

Last edited by prana; 08 February 2004 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:18 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

rotflmao, nugget
Old 08 February 2004, 10:15 PM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

Well, seeing as I keep getting e-mails from scoobynet telling me that someone is trying to log in under my name I presumed it had something to do with Scoobynet and not with my computer. Unreasonable ?
Old 08 February 2004, 10:21 PM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

User Name

Topics just seen in General:

World rally website and radio station (possibly scooby related but marginal)
Southampton speed trap !
Trolley jack !!
1970 join date !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shurely computer related
Old 08 February 2004, 10:23 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stfu hth
Old 08 February 2004, 10:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

User Name

Thank you for some further information that enables me to investigate more fully your problem.

I have come up with 2 answers

1) that your username is User Name and that is the default logon for this bbs, should you not have cookies enabled and are coming to this bbs for the first time. If that is the case, then in order NOT to receive these notifications, then a possible change of username might be prudent. The default logon is meant as a guide to either register or to enter your existing username/password combo.

I would be interested to see a copy of the email that you received as I have tried to forge my own logon and not received anything.

2) Still investigating

With regards the topics in General, thank you for bringing these to my attention. I will go and investigate and if appropriate, take the correct action.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:54 PM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jjones
stfu hth
What does that mean ?
Old 09 February 2004, 12:01 AM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

User Name

Thank you for some further information that enables me to investigate more fully your problem.

I have come up with 2 answers

1) that your username is User Name and that is the default logon for this bbs, should you not have cookies enabled and are coming to this bbs for the first time. If that is the case, then in order NOT to receive these notifications, then a possible change of username might be prudent. The default logon is meant as a guide to either register or to enter your existing username/password combo.

I would be interested to see a copy of the email that you received as I have tried to forge my own logon and not received anything.

2) Still investigating

With regards the topics in General, thank you for bringing these to my attention. I will go and investigate and if appropriate, take the correct action.
Thank you. The minute I receive another e-mail advising me off this problemm I will forward it to you as I have deleted all the others.
Old 09 February 2004, 12:04 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Please update me as per request?

I think that jjones's letters are probably not meant in a complimentary way, possibly due to the way you responded when your post was moved and again when you responded this evening.

It may be that the less informative your posts, the less good information you receive in return. Please attempt to tell us what exactly is the problem in as much detail as possible and we will try to help you.
Old 09 February 2004, 09:48 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Angry

This has got to be a wind up?
Puff, delete the "user name" account, then block anyone from registering that as a name.
Then maybe when people join SN they'll use a modicum of imagination to think of a name for themselves that isn't the default login name!

Last edited by Neanderthal; 09 February 2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09 February 2004, 09:54 AM
jimbrit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
stfu hth
LOL
Old 10 February 2004, 01:09 AM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

I received many e-mails from 'the scoobynet team' advising me that another user had been attempting to access scoobynet using my log in name but the wrong password. The mail stated that my account would be frozen for 15 minutes before I would be able to log in. I have to date received around 5 or 6 mails stating this. The mail supplied me with the IP address of the person attempting this. Surely nobody can repeatedly make this mistake that many times ?
I still feel that my post should not have been moved to computer related. I was responding to a communication from scoobynet itself.

Neanderthal: Does your user name describe your level of intelligence ?

jjones: Well ??

jimbrit: We are not all 15 year old spotty youths who use texting as a primary means of communication.

I still suspect that as I am not a regular user of this forum, I have received short thrift. But thank you for your help anyway Mr Puff.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:35 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I would hazzard a guess that stfu is "shut the **** up", not sure about hth tho.

lol
Old 12 February 2004, 01:40 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

HTH = Hope this helps

HTH
Andy
Old 12 February 2004, 09:39 AM
Roland_STI
Scooby Regular

It seems to be an unfortunate by product of the recent board migration, IMHO. I really doubt anyone is attempting to "hack" your account, as you are not a prolific poster. No offense, but the profile "User Name" isnt exactly a great one to have. Im sure you could come up with a better, more personal one and get back up to your nine post count in oh, say 10 minutes?

Just create a new user account with a unique and individual name and ask the mods too nuke the "User Name" account. Problem solved.
Old 12 February 2004, 04:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

User Name

If someone attempts to log in over 5 times with the wrong password, then the account is locked for 15 mins and email simillar to the one below is sent:

Puff The Magic Wagon!,

Your account on ScoobyNet has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 80.225.252.189

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/login.php?do=lostpw

All the best,
ScoobyNet team

After 15 mins, your account is re-activated and you are able to log-in normally.

There are 3 reasons that this might happen.

1) That someone is trying to hack your account - very unlikely

2) That someone thinks they have put their own username in the login box and tries to login, when in fact, the default login name is still there

3) You have attempted to login and forgotten your password

With a userbase of 36000 names or whatever it currently is, then I would suggest that 2 is the most likely option. Unfortunately you have chosen a name that is the same as the default logon, therefore you will likely continue to receive those emails.

I would suggest, like Neanderthal, that you chose another logon name, or another way of displaying what you want, as I User Name is hard coded into the software and it is upto vBuletin to change it - something we are likely to have no say over I'm afraid.

To be frank with you, as I have said previously, you will receive more prompt attention if you don't start shouting the odds and are more helpful and accurate in what your problem is.

The fact, that you have 1 post or 100000 posts is irrelevant to me. However, politeness and respect would be appreciated at all times.

I still feel that my post should not have been moved to computer related. I was responding to a communication from scoobynet itself.
In light of the scant information that you chose to display in your first post, I considered it a Computer Related item, moved it there with the intention of answering it. By the time I did, you had already kicked off

By rights now, this thread should have been placed in Bugs/Features or possibly SN Policy, which if it had been correctly worded, would have been where I placed it.

The moderators move people's posts if they are placed in the wrong forums, that is what I did.

I still suspect that as I am not a regular user of this forum, I have received short thrift. But thank you for your help anyway Mr Puff.
You may suspect as much as you like. Your manner of posting has meant that I have spent a lot more time than I normally would on an issue like this. Please take a moment to reflect on this.

Cheers

Puff
Old 13 February 2004, 02:10 AM
User Name
Scooby Newbie

knuckles duly rapped !