Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Boot problem (Win 10 from SSD)

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2015, 06:33 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Boot problem (Win 10 from SSD)

HP desktop PC.

With the arrival of Win 10 I thought I'd take the opportunity to install a SSD drive and have Windows boot from it.

I installed the SDD. Downloaded Win 10 and installed it over Win 7 on my existing HDD and then got it to install on the SDD. So far so good: I get the option of dual booting and choosing which Win 10 installation to use.

The aim is reformat the old HDD and use it for programmes and documents etc and have the PC boot into Win 10 from the SDD.

So to be on the safe side I decided to disconnect the old HDD to make sure the PC still boots. It won't: I get the following message:

The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors
File: \boot\BLD

I've made the SSD the first bootable device in BIOS and it is Location 1 (Channel 0, Target 1, Lun 0), but still no luck. I assume it is the way HP has set the PC up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by Nick_Cat; 25 September 2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 25 September 2015, 08:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So it still thinks your HDD is the primary boot, regardless of the boot order. I don't think you can set Win10 up like that in a dual boot setup.

What will work is if you install win7 on the SSD and then upgrade that to Win10. Then you can wipe the OS from the HDD to keep it just for data.
Old 26 September 2015, 08:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had this on dual boots before back when I was using Vista.

For some reason the installation puts a few boot file on the other drive even though its doesn't contain the operating system.

I think its the files that relate it giving you the boot options menu. Now I did fix it, but can't remember how; it was either one of two ways.

One way was running a repair via a genuine Microsoft install dvd (not a recovery disc), or I followed some online guide somewhere.

Seeing that Vista/win7/8/10 all have similar backend operation, I'm guessing the fix is going to be pretty similar. So googling for the fix in win 7 will probably yield your answer.