Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best backup methods

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2003, 09:36 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all - after my computers power spike last week which totalled everything, i am getting really paranoid about data backup.

Business info is fine as that was backed up every 2 days, but I have lost 4gb of MP3's

So, what is the best method of backing up data. I used to just burn all my data to CD's, then file them away but it is time consuming, and starting to take up lots of CD's.

I also want something that cant be spiked or knackered. I have looked at the Maxtor 5000LE external HDD which runs via 1394 connection. It is an 80gb disk for £140, where you can backup your entire hard drive at the touch of a button.

Sounds great, but what about a backup backup - what if the Maxtor gets totalled as well - anyone know if power spikes can travel from inside a PC through a 1394/USB 2.0 connection?

Help please, paranoia here
Old 18 February 2003, 09:42 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

While don't you get a UPS, uninteruptable power supply? Something like a APC SmartUPS.

I have one on mine and it regularly reports spikes in my mains. But has protected my equipment so far.

I also use a DAT drive to back up data. I alwalys do a full back up to tape..

H
Old 18 February 2003, 09:48 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Don't wish to add to your paranoia, but in theory, a power spike will travel through the PC and anything connected to it, using the path of least resistance, so again, in theory the External HDD would be at risk.

I do not know what caused the spike, nor what your config consists of, but have you thought of getting a UPS? This should eradicate all power spikes as the UPS converts the mains AC supply to DC, then back into a clean(er) AC signal to power the PC. Has the added advantage of giving you a chance to close the PC down properly if the power fails (some have an interface to the PC which will automatically send a shutdown command to the PC in the event of a power failure)

Failing that, as an absolute minimum you should have a surge protected adapter on the mains feed - preferably one that also protects the telephone and/or LAN.
Old 18 February 2003, 09:56 AM
ChrisB

APC does a Back-UPS ES which looks like just a 4 way multiplug but has surge protection and battery backup.

The 500va model should be around £90+VAT.

A 12/24GB DDS drive will be around £400 just for the drive. A DVD Writer for around £200 is possibly a better alternative.

Chris.
Old 18 February 2003, 10:25 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Depends on your daily/weekly capacity requirements, but I would suggest either a DAT tape of some sort or maybe a rewritable DVD burner.

I use a DAT drive and have an automatic job to do nightly incrementals plus a full backup weekly. It just works. However, I would make sure that you can do restores on a regular basis.

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 February 2003, 12:24 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Ian,

How much did you pay for your DAT machine and tapes? I was looking for a backup method similar to Dream Weaver but was looking at DDS tapes.

Cheers
Darren
Old 18 February 2003, 12:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

System and telephone lines are currently on a surge protector, but I think the UPS may be an option for clean power.

Bloody XP has just crashed on me - windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

Anyone any ideas on this? Have re-installed Xp over the top just to get internet access - researching the problem now, then will format the HDD, partition, and re-install XP.

bloody computers [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 18 February 2003, 01:45 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

windows\system32\config\system
I've had Win 2k Pro and XP Pro do that several times - no idea why but bl00dy irritating.

We just got a demo in the office of a product called 'ERD Navigator' or something from www.winiternals.com that lets you boot to a version of XP from a CD and then access all your partitions and network etc. to repair the PC/server. You can even chage passwords you have forgotten. It looked pretty good when I did a quick evaluation of it yesterday, but we haven't used it in anger yet - ideal for your problem though DW.

Fen
Old 18 February 2003, 02:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Darren,

To be honest, I have no idea how much as it was bought as part of the specification for a machine I used for work. The tape drive (SCSI) has just been moved from machine to machine as I have upgraded over the years. Sorry

Actually, I should say DDS tape drive, as that are what they are called. It just happens to take 4mm tape catridges which to me are DAT tapes

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 February 2003, 02:28 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Ian, I think you might have got a good deal.

Dabs sell external SCSI DDS tape drives for about £400-£500!!

Darren

[Doh Edited because I put DSS instead of DDS]

[Edited by darlodge - 2/18/2003 2:39:54 PM]
Old 18 February 2003, 03:36 PM
CraigRA
Scooby Regular

I have a Compaq tape libary, going very cheap takes DDS2 tapes, if any one is interested !!
Old 18 February 2003, 03:43 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

CraigRA, How much is very cheap providing that Dream Weaver is not intrested of course , after all, I hijacked his post

Darren
Old 18 February 2003, 04:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

No worries

ANyway, just re-installed everything - 4 bloody hours. Have partitioned the drive into 3 for XP, Apps and Files. Not sure why but I liked the ability to have all info separate.

Now another problem - my keyboard @ sign has been swapped with the " [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Jees - Wish I'd just bought a PC from PC World now
Old 18 February 2003, 04:06 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Dream Weaver, your keyboard is set to US format and not UK. Go into the control panel and change it bakc to UK

Darren
Old 18 February 2003, 04:29 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

dream,

I had that problem with XP many times, never found a solution until recently (touch wood). I ended up installing XP as non ACPI compliant, somewhere in Internet land I found this suggestion, which was the only one that worked.

regards,

Greg
Old 18 February 2003, 05:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Greg

Read that as well, but forgot to press F5 during hardware detection.

However, just changed the Computer setting in Device Manager from ACPI to Standard PC - that is supposed to work as well according to internet land - will have to wait and see.

Is there any way for me to back everything up (settings and files) now in XP - everything is re-installed and spot on.
Old 18 February 2003, 05:27 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Norton Ghost seems to be the way to backup everything for an easy re-install

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Norton Ghost™ 2003 protects your data from computer disasters. The intuitive Windows® interface makes it easy to create regular backups of your hard drive. You don't even need to make a boot disk. File restoration is simple from the comprehensive disk image. For small businesses, 5- and 10-user packs are also available.

regards,

Greg