ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Best backup methods (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/178826-best-backup-methods.html)

Dream Weaver 18 February 2003 09:36 AM

Hi all - after my computers power spike last week which totalled everything, i am getting really paranoid about data backup.

Business info is fine as that was backed up every 2 days, but I have lost 4gb of MP3's :(

So, what is the best method of backing up data. I used to just burn all my data to CD's, then file them away but it is time consuming, and starting to take up lots of CD's.

I also want something that cant be spiked or knackered. I have looked at the Maxtor 5000LE external HDD which runs via 1394 connection. It is an 80gb disk for £140, where you can backup your entire hard drive at the touch of a button.

Sounds great, but what about a backup backup - what if the Maxtor gets totalled as well - anyone know if power spikes can travel from inside a PC through a 1394/USB 2.0 connection?

Help please, paranoia here :confused:

HHxx 18 February 2003 09:42 AM

While don't you get a UPS, uninteruptable power supply? Something like a APC SmartUPS.

I have one on mine and it regularly reports spikes in my mains. But has protected my equipment so far.

I also use a DAT drive to back up data. I alwalys do a full back up to tape..

H

Fig 18 February 2003 09:48 AM

Don't wish to add to your paranoia, but in theory, a power spike will travel through the PC and anything connected to it, using the path of least resistance, so again, in theory the External HDD would be at risk.

I do not know what caused the spike, nor what your config consists of, but have you thought of getting a UPS? This should eradicate all power spikes as the UPS converts the mains AC supply to DC, then back into a clean(er) AC signal to power the PC. Has the added advantage of giving you a chance to close the PC down properly if the power fails (some have an interface to the PC which will automatically send a shutdown command to the PC in the event of a power failure)

Failing that, as an absolute minimum you should have a surge protected adapter on the mains feed - preferably one that also protects the telephone and/or LAN.

ChrisB 18 February 2003 09:56 AM

APC does a Back-UPS ES which looks like just a 4 way multiplug but has surge protection and battery backup.

The 500va model should be around £90+VAT.

A 12/24GB DDS drive will be around £400 just for the drive. A DVD Writer for around £200 is possibly a better alternative.

Chris.

IWatkins 18 February 2003 10:25 AM

Depends on your daily/weekly capacity requirements, but I would suggest either a DAT tape of some sort or maybe a rewritable DVD burner.

I use a DAT drive and have an automatic job to do nightly incrementals plus a full backup weekly. It just works. However, I would make sure that you can do restores on a regular basis.

Cheers

Ian

darlodge 18 February 2003 12:24 PM

Ian,

How much did you pay for your DAT machine and tapes? I was looking for a backup method similar to Dream Weaver but was looking at DDS tapes.

Cheers
Darren

Dream Weaver 18 February 2003 12:43 PM

System and telephone lines are currently on a surge protector, but I think the UPS may be an option for clean power.

Bloody XP has just crashed on me - windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

Anyone any ideas on this? Have re-installed Xp over the top just to get internet access - researching the problem now, then will format the HDD, partition, and re-install XP.

bloody computers [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

RB5#295 18 February 2003 01:45 PM

windows\system32\config\system
I've had Win 2k Pro and XP Pro do that several times - no idea why but bl00dy irritating.

We just got a demo in the office of a product called 'ERD Navigator' or something from www.winiternals.com that lets you boot to a version of XP from a CD and then access all your partitions and network etc. to repair the PC/server. You can even chage passwords you have forgotten. It looked pretty good when I did a quick evaluation of it yesterday, but we haven't used it in anger yet - ideal for your problem though DW.

Fen

IWatkins 18 February 2003 02:18 PM

Darren,

To be honest, I have no idea how much as it was bought as part of the specification for a machine I used for work. The tape drive (SCSI) has just been moved from machine to machine as I have upgraded over the years. Sorry :(

Actually, I should say DDS tape drive, as that are what they are called. It just happens to take 4mm tape catridges which to me are DAT tapes :)

Cheers

Ian

darlodge 18 February 2003 02:28 PM

Ian, I think you might have got a good deal.

Dabs sell external SCSI DDS tape drives for about £400-£500!! :eek:

Darren

[Doh Edited because I put DSS instead of DDS]

[Edited by darlodge - 2/18/2003 2:39:54 PM]

CraigRA 18 February 2003 03:36 PM

I have a Compaq tape libary, going very cheap takes DDS2 tapes, if any one is interested !!

darlodge 18 February 2003 03:43 PM

CraigRA, How much is very cheap:D providing that Dream Weaver is not intrested of course :), after all, I hijacked his post :D :D

Darren

Dream Weaver 18 February 2003 04:01 PM

No worries ;)

ANyway, just re-installed everything - 4 bloody hours. Have partitioned the drive into 3 for XP, Apps and Files. Not sure why but I liked the ability to have all info separate.

Now another problem - my keyboard @ sign has been swapped with the " [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Jees - Wish I'd just bought a PC from PC World now :rolleyes:

darlodge 18 February 2003 04:06 PM

Dream Weaver, your keyboard is set to US format and not UK. Go into the control panel and change it bakc to UK :D

Darren

gregh 18 February 2003 04:29 PM

dream,

I had that problem with XP many times, never found a solution until recently (touch wood). I ended up installing XP as non ACPI compliant, somewhere in Internet land I found this suggestion, which was the only one that worked.

regards,

Greg

Dream Weaver 18 February 2003 05:06 PM

Greg

Read that as well, but forgot to press F5 during hardware detection.

However, just changed the Computer setting in Device Manager from ACPI to Standard PC - that is supposed to work as well according to internet land - will have to wait and see.

Is there any way for me to back everything up (settings and files) now in XP - everything is re-installed and spot on.

gregh 18 February 2003 05:27 PM

Norton Ghost seems to be the way to backup everything for an easy re-install

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Norton Ghost™ 2003 protects your data from computer disasters. The intuitive Windows® interface makes it easy to create regular backups of your hard drive. You don't even need to make a boot disk. File restoration is simple from the comprehensive disk image. For small businesses, 5- and 10-user packs are also available.

regards,

Greg